Cherry rifle stock

Yes indeed, Your father is quite talented.  The only Cherry gun stock I saw was built by an old time gunsmith that I ended up buying some of his shop stuff before he passed away.  He was big into 25-06 builds and I bought what he had left in 25 cal bullets. When did you see these old boxes last?

KtFJFUWm.jpg

The Noslers are marked $5.40 on the bottom and the Hornadys are $4.20 priced.  They are both about half full. I all ways wanted one but never built one. When I was in PA gun school back in 79, Kennedy's 1962 edition book was a required purchase for classes. At some point I lent it out, forgot who borrowed it and they never brought it back!  For me, checkering was a literal pain in my neck so never could get into it. Obviously, your dad has mastered the art. The problem with Cherry in gun stocks is its a dense wood and there for typicaly heavier than the run of the mill Walnut. The good thing is its not susceptible to cracking in the wrist as walnut due to that fact. Thats why walnut must be chosen with the grain structure curving to the line of curve of the grip and into the butt. You probably all ready know that with a Dad like yours around! Setting that rifle up with pet loads is what life offers up as love out side of good friends & family. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, xtriggerman said:

Yes indeed, Your father is quite talented.  The only Cherry gun stock I saw was built by an old time gunsmith that I ended up buying some of his shop stuff before he passed away.  He was big into 25-06 builds and I bought what he had left in 25 cal bullets. When did you see these old boxes last?

KtFJFUWm.jpg

The Noslers are marked $5.40 on the bottom and the Hornadys are $4.20 priced.  They are both about half full. I all ways wanted one but never built one. When I was in PA gun school back in 79, Kennedy's 1962 edition book was a required purchase for classes. At some point I lent it out, forgot who borrowed it and they never brought it back!  For me, checkering was a literal pain in my neck so never could get into it. Obviously, your dad has mastered the art. The problem with Cherry in gun stocks is its a dense wood and there for typicaly heavier than the run of the mill Walnut. The good thing is its not susceptible to cracking in the wrist as walnut due to that fact. Thats why walnut must be chosen with the grain structure curving to the line of curve of the grip and into the butt. You probably all ready know that with a Dad like yours around! Setting that rifle up with pet loads is what life offers up as love out side of good friends & family. 

I think I've got some about that old. I once bought a lot of 25 cal bullets from a guy on another forum. I think they weighed 60 or 70 pounds. They were less than $100 from what I can remember. A really vast assortment. When I got home one evening, There was a trail from the driveway to the backdoor on the patio where the mail delivery lady had dragged one of those USPS basket things. LOL! She just left them in the basket, bless her heart. She later told my wife, "I don't know what it is your husband buys, but it sure is heavy!"😁

We have a good assortment of 257 Roberts and 250-3000 chambered rifles. Hopefully, this 25-06 will give me a chance to dispose of some of the heavier bullets in the collection.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...
56 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

ZaeJhzq.jpg

With a bit of load development, I think it'll shoot. This was my first load I tried except for the factory ammo I had. It wouldn't shoot a group at all.

Looks like that will work, good job!

4 hours ago, Mowgli Terry said:

That rifle has first class workmanship. When was the last time you saw a skeleton grip cap?

Thanks. he actually made the grip cap; mostly with a file. Not only is he talented, he's frugal as well....and patient.😁

• Like 1
39 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

He is a retired tool and die maker. Not fun helping him build  garage.😆

Sounds like dealing with my Dad. I love him, but years of working as a machinist for razor blade machines ,means his tolerances are VERY small. A hair is like 4 thousands... he wants to have stuff to the thousandth. I hate to deal below 1/8s of an inch. lol

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Sounds like dealing with my Dad. I love him, but years of working as a machinist for razor blade machines ,means his tolerances are VERY small. A hair is like 4 thousands... he wants to have stuff to the thousandth. I hate to deal below 1/8s of an inch. lol

To him the thousandth is a 1/4 inch to you. 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, Ronald_55 said:

I build roads. 1/10th of a foot is good to go with me!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3
  • 3 months later...
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Here’s a one shot group I made just this morning.😁 It went in through the shoulder on the far side. Looks like it works!

F2CCEE7C-635F-4B6C-A687-6F991C60627B.jpeg

Now you know a one shot group only proves you know how to aim, pull the trigger  and hit what you’re shooting at, good job!

Edited by RED333
Because I can
  • Haha 1