Youth marksmanship

Primarily seeking input from parents and grandparents that have taught kids/grandkids to shoot, but others are welcome to chime in.  

At what age did you begin training a child with live fire?  What weapon?  How did you make it fun while teaching marksmanship and safety skills?  What challenges did you face?  When did you give the child a first firearm to own/maintain?  Etc.  Please discuss.

I taught my GS with a 10/22 at the plinking range at the range I belong to.  The plinking range allows any target except glass ones, has some rough benches at a "formal" firing line, safety lights, etc.  This environment allowed me to have some defined grounds as to what's safe, and what's not safe.  Also covered the range rules set by the club, etc.,   Granted the GS had a BB gun, but had just used/shot it around his house with no damage or incidents before his first trip to the range.  After his initial "shock" of the loud report of the 22lr, he proceeded to do "mag dumps" with the 10/22 so fast that "meme" could not keep up with the reloading duties.  LOL  

He learned the rules the first time, and on later trips, he always remembered them,  he always waited or asked about something if he was unsure, never bolted downrange, no muzzle sweeps, etc.

• Like 1

I have actually started teaching the grandkids this week. Using a single shot 22cal pellet rifle. They were bored with all the “rules and functions “ but once they saw that can jump with the first hit. They were hooked. I will move them up to a single shot 22 Remington 112 when I feel they have the basics down. 

• Like 1

I coach/train in the 4-H Shooting Sports program.  This activity starts at the 4th grade (8-9 yr.) level.  In the BB program we use Daisy 499B guns.  They are a single shot, muzzle loaded BB gun made specifically for 5 meter competition and are very accurate  We emphasize gun safety, along with skills.  The program is 4-position, prone, sitting, kneeling, and offhand.  It's a competition based precision shooting activity so some kids find it too "slow" but it's excellent for those that are focused.

At the 4-H camps we use .22 lr single shot rifles on a highly supervised range.  They can go to camp beginning the summer after the 4th grade.   We stress gun safety, proper handling, etc.  We get a lot of first time shooters that have never touched a gun.  No effort at developing precision shooters.  We just work to provide a positive experience with a firearm and hope that they can have success hitting the paper!  It's a great experience guiding a hesitant kid through their first time firing a gun.  We also hold a Shooting Sports specific camp that includes several shooting sports.  We plan to resume both camp experiences next summer.

• Like 2