So..... who's been shot?

17 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Well, I’m guessing BB’s and bottle rockets don’t really count, but when you are young and dumb, friends tend to shoot stupid things at each other. Been hit by both and had to dig a BB out of my knuckle once. 

My buddy and I would take pvc and cap one end. We would get on opposite side of the street in the ditch and shoot bottle rockets at each other. It was a lot of fun. You can have a lot of fun when you are not thinking about the consequences. 

Edited by KahrMan
  • Like 3
  • Administrator
1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

Well at least safety glass…😏

cat monocle GIF

I mortify the people at Lens Crafters when I ask them if I get a 50% discount because I only need half of what they're selling.  Those poor people don't know how to respond. 😄

• Haha 3
  • Administrator

True Story:   I'll make eye jokes all day long and screw with people at work.  We once were interviewing a guy who we had already decided was going to be a perfect fit for the team, from perspectives of qualifications and cultural fit.  He was a messed up individual like the rest of us.

When we took him to lunch, he asked how brutal the on-call schedule really was.

I told him, "Look man... I had two working eyes when I started this gig."

He paused barely a second and erupted in laughter.  We hired him practically on the spot. 😅

• Like 1
  • Haha 4
  • Moderators
46 minutes ago, TGO David said:

True Story:   I'll make eye jokes all day long and screw with people at work.  We once were interviewing a guy who we had already decided was going to be a perfect fit for the team, from perspectives of qualifications and cultural fit.  He was a messed up individual like the rest of us.

When we took him to lunch, he asked how brutal the on-call schedule really was.

I told him, "Look man... I had two working eyes when I started this gig."

He paused barely a second and erupted in laughter.  We hired him practically on the spot. 😅

I was wondering how much you roast your brother on the subject. I figure 2 decades later he still isn’t allowed to live that #### down. 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, TGO David said:

cat monocle GIF

I mortify the people at Lens Crafters when I ask them if I get a 50% discount because I only need half of what they're selling.  Those poor people don't know how to respond. 😄

I hate to say it, but being the father of a blind child as afforded me the opportunity to really mess with some people. 

Edited by alleycat72
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3
2 hours ago, TGO David said:

cat monocle GIF

Don't feel bad.  I've been asking about discounts from barbers ever since half of my hair fell out.  They're not very cooperative either ...

• Haha 3
15 hours ago, TGO David said:

Yikes.  I forget what the actual statement was by the doctor at the time, but I want to say my dad relayed that I was 4mm away from what would have been a fatal hit.  If it had impacted just slightly lower it would have gone through the optical cavity and that'd would have been that.

Yes, the bones behind the eye forming the back of the eye socket, (sphenoid and lacrimal), are VERY thin. You were luckier than you might have thought at the time.

Not me, thank goodness! But my younger brother got shot in the face with a .357 at close range. Blew a big chunk of his jaw out, along with a bunch of his teeth. Screwed him up mentally for the rest of his relatively short life. He was shot by his wife's boyfriend. Bone fragments from his jaw put out her eye. The ex-wife and bf were going to take my brother's measly insurance money and live the good life in Florida. 

The shooter got out of prison a few years later, tried an armed robbery of a store, and took a bullet to his spine for his trouble. He went to prison in a wheelchair and died there a short time later.  There's a whole lot more to the story, but I doubt anyone here wants to read a book about it.

• Sad 1
  • Wow 3
On 7/19/2021 at 9:38 AM, KahrMan said:

You know how when you are dove hunting they say don’t shoot at low birds. There is a reason for that. A kid close to me tracked a low bird, swung and fired. He never even thought about people down the line. Took 12 gauge bird shot to my face. 
Dropped me to my knees but luckily he was just far enough away that the pellets didn’t break the skin. Left 11 red welts on my face and neck. 

Me and a friend got peppered by some dove hunting  nitwits while we were playing golf. They were hunting in the field on the other side of the tree line.  Boom, boom, boom, .... uh oh.  Heard the pellets come through the trees, ducked our heads,  and ended up with a few welps on our arms and necks.  

I also have a BB in my leg, courtesy of a grade school friend. 

• Like 1

I know a guy who was shooting at old, rough steel plates way too close. I think part of a .40 S&W round came back and into his chest. The doctors ended up deciding to leave it there. There were a few seconds of confusion and disbelief while they tried to figure out what was going on. 

18 minutes ago, TennesseeCamper said:

Shot  so many times, by my grand kids nerf guns and I tell you what it can leave a mark!  

When I was a LEO in the late 80's I was sent through a class called Red Handle Gun. In that class they used real revolvers loaded with cartridges filled with a cotton ball and a magnum primer. You would be amazed at the pain and resulting red welts left by those when you are "shot" up close.

• Like 1
  • Wow 1

About 12 yo would take . 22 on bikes and ride 5 mi in country to a private dump owned by large factory. It

had cool stuff to shoot dumped daily including a pile of garbage from lunchroom and fast as lightning rats. one day we found part of a guard shack dumped with paddlelock still in place. My buddy see too many cowboy movies tried to shoot the lock off and I feel a hammer to chest from the ricochet and was in a daze for a couple minutes from lowley.22 then looked down at my chest in a white T and small spot of blood getting bigger and bigger.  Miles from a phone or hospital made my way home and lived,guess it stuck in breast bone and being I did not die I snuck in changed shirt and tossed old one. Never mentioned it as it would have been end of taking gun out. 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, peejman said:

Me and a friend got peppered by some dove hunting  nitwits while we were playing golf. They were hunting in the field on the other side of the tree line.  Boom, boom, boom, .... uh oh.  Heard the pellets come through the trees, ducked our heads,  and ended up with a few welps on our arms and necks.  

I also have a BB in my leg, courtesy of a grade school friend. 

My wife was sitting on her folks front porch with her folks one evening about 35 years ago, and got hit with some dove shot, from neighbors property. 

33 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

My wife was sitting on her folks front porch with her folks one evening about 35 years ago, and got hit with some dove shot, from neighbors property. 

Yeah, people think its bird shot, it's only effective to 30 or 40 yards. Except the pellets will fly 200-300 yards. What goes up must come down. 

• Like 1

I remember this day, Apr.25, 1967, as if it was yesterday. We were on a search & destroy mission in "Nam, walked into an ambush. I was hit twice with auto weapons fire in the R. leg, several times with the old Chicom "tater" masher grenades. Some of the fragments are still in there.

Spent 16 mos. in an Army hospital, almost lost the R. leg, still got it tho., even if it is a bit shorter that the left.

A couple of others were hit the same time I was. Another guy was killed later.

We were almost overrun, but managed to fight our way out of it, wiped them out.

Not one of my better days.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2