Weird stuff!

Son came home last night and said his truck was missing. I plugged in the scanner, and it showed a #2 cylinder miss and a bad O2 sensor. Swapped the coil packs and spark plugs between cylinders 1 and 2. Then it showed a misfire in both cylinders. Odd that more than one thing went out at the same time.

Get in my truck to head to the parts house, and it's missing too! The machine says a bad injector on the #5 cylinder.

Wife was reluctant to let me borrow her car.😆

I guess that's the joy of driving junkers.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Son came home last night and said his truck was missing. I plugged in the scanner, and it showed a #2 cylinder miss and a bad O2 sensor. Swapped the coil packs and spark plugs between cylinders 1 and 2. Then it showed a misfire in both cylinders. Odd that more than one thing went out at the same time.

Get in my truck to head to the parts house, and it's missing too! The machine says a bad injector on the #5 cylinder.

Wife was reluctant to let me borrow her car.😆

I guess that's the joy of driving junkers.

During my foray into aircraft maintenance, i learned quickly that whatever the problem, determine the most expensive part, especially if it's also the hardest to get to, and replace that first.  Works every time ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve got an O2 sensor, injector, plugs, and a coil pack ordered for his. If all that doesn’t fix it, it’s going to a mechanic.

Hopefully mine is just an injector.

I've stopped working in a shop. Only work on my own stuff now. Tony Day is still at it.

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve got an O2 sensor, injector, plugs, and a coil pack ordered for his. If all that doesn’t fix it, it’s going to a mechanic.

Hopefully mine is just an injector.

Gotta get my daughter's Cobalt into the dealer or a bigger shop. Check engine light has been on for a while for a sensor. Probably O2. Little shop I use normally could not find which one. Since she heads to school in few weeks 4 hours away, I guess it is a good time. 

Of course I just had to teplace 2 rims and tires on it because she "might have hit a curb" destroying both tires and denting both rims. 

Then wife calls me at 4:30 to say her tire "popped"...  Luckily I had  one for hers I saved at the last change. Hopefuily I can get Walmart to replace the damaged one under thr roadside. Couldn't tonight because tire not in stock. 

On top of this, I have to get a 4th car as the youngest is about to start driving.... 

Can we all just go back to horses?

• Haha 1
19 minutes ago, Ronald_55 said:

Gotta get my daughter's Cobalt into the dealer or a bigger shop. Check engine light has been on for a while for a sensor. Probably O2. Little shop I use normally could not find which one. Since she heads to school in few weeks 4 hours away, I guess it is a good time. 

Of course I just had to teplace 2 rims and tires on it because she "might have hit a curb" destroying both tires and denting both rims. 

Then wife calls me at 4:30 to say her tire "popped"...  Luckily I had  one for hers I saved at the last change. Hopefuily I can get Walmart to replace the damaged one under thr roadside. Couldn't tonight because tire not in stock. 

On top of this, I have to get a 4th car as the youngest is about to start driving.... 

Can we all just go back to horses?

Bicycle or a buggy would be my choice.

Actually an adult 3 wheel bike/ trike for this old fart.

On 7/21/2021 at 6:56 PM, papa61 said:

I've stopped working in a shop. Only work on my own stuff now. Tony Day is still at it.

I never had any luck whatsoever with Tony Day. Just a fluke I guess because everyone else likes him.

Edited by gregintenn
4 hours ago, No_0ne said:

During my foray into aircraft maintenance, i learned quickly that whatever the problem, determine the most expensive part, especially if it's also the hardest to get to, and replace that first.  Works every time ...

That certainly worked on the helicopters I wrenched on.

Must be something in the air. I'm going out of town tomorrow and this morning the check engine light came on in the car.  😡 Cyl 1 miss fire.  Probably not much to it. Just bad timing. Oh well, much to do today. I guess I'll just drive my truck. 🙄

4 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Must be something in the air. I'm going out of town tomorrow and this morning the check engine light came on in the car.  😡 Cyl 1 miss fire.  Probably not much to it. Just bad timing. Oh well, much to do today. I guess I'll just drive my truck. 🙄

Just had my Buick in Monday. Battery control module was bad. Glad it's under warranty.

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, papa61 said:

Just had my Buick in Monday. Battery control module was bad. Glad it's under warranty.

Next time Rachael calls, I'm gonna stay on the line and see about that extended warranty she always offers.😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 5
  • Wow 1

Greg those are the "fun" times of driving cars and trucks that don't have a monthly payment on them. I would rather put a few hundred dollars into some repairs every now and then than pay $750 up for a monthly note. I own debt free 4 vehicles that cost me total $7,500. Now I have spent $9,000 or so in repairs over the course of 8 years,so that figures purchase price plus repairs to a little over $500 per year per vehicle. I am on the lookout for a pre computer truck or car, I know how to file points!!!

• Like 2

These trucks have been trouble free for years. We’re due. It just struck me as funny that the truck I got in to go get parts suddenly had the same thing wrong with it as the truck I was getting parts for. I’m not sure whether to blame the Chinese or Russians.😆

4 hours ago, gregintenn said:

These trucks have been trouble free for years. We’re due. It just struck me as funny that the truck I got in to go get parts suddenly had the same thing wrong with it as the truck I was getting parts for. I’m not sure whether to blame the Chinese or Russians.😆

Blame the Democrats.  That pretty much covers all the Communist variants ...

• Like 3
  • Haha 3
8 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Do you fill both up at the same gas station? Maybe just a bad batch of gas? Naw...it's never that simple. Had to toss it out there though. My 2001 Tacoma just check-engined me for a new O2 sensor. Must just be that time of year.

I don’t know WTH is going on here but a pox upon you @gregintenn.  Today I started up my ‘02 4Runner and the damn ABS, VSC TRAC, and VSC OFF lights are on....permanently apparently until I do something about it.

Ain’t nobody got time for that!

Edited by Garufa
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I don’t know WTH is going here but a pox upon you @gregintenn.  Today I started up my ‘02 4Runner and the damn ABS, VSC TRAC, and VSC OFF lights are on....permanently apparently until I do something about it.

It's the damn covid.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Thanks 1
44 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I don’t know WTH is going here but a pox upon you @gregintenn.  Today I started up my ‘02 4Runner and the damn ABS, VSC TRAC, and VSC OFF lights are on....permanently apparently until I do something about it.

This happened with my 2008 RAV4. Also my daughters Highlander. Read Toyota forums you will see lots of posts about it. They post about several causes and potential solutions. I never was able to solve mine. The good news is it will clear when shut you turn the ignition off until about 200 or 300 miles then it comes back.  Also when it happens you loose cruise control and anti-lock brakes and stabilization control.  
I just drove mine anyway until I got a new vehicle. 

On 7/23/2021 at 6:38 PM, Garufa said:

I don’t know WTH is going on here but a pox upon you @gregintenn.  Today I started up my ‘02 4Runner and the damn ABS, VSC TRAC, and VSC OFF lights are on....permanently apparently until I do something about it.

We got both of ours back on the road. Looks like something pulled, rubbed, or chewed the wires in two going to the injector on my truck. All I  an figure on his is the injector went down and maybe the plug burned out due to lack of fuel or something. Looked like factory plugs. 17 years and 150k miles was probably a good run for them.

Thank goodness for code scanners and Rock Auto.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, gregintenn said:

Looks like something pulled, rubbed, or chewed the wires in two going to the injector on my truck

For a few years about makers use, used a soy based coating for insulation on wires, mice love it.