Weird stuff!

Just now, RED333 said:

For a few years about makers use, used a soy based coating for insulation on wires, mice love it.

I think I’ve heard that before now that you mention it. It was parked in the barn, but it looked more like a clean break than a chewed place. I don’t really know for sure. I just spliced them back together. Probably not the best fix, but it works.

• Like 1

Yesterday I was giving my ATV some lovin.  Oil change, new air filter, adjust brakes, and most importantly I replaced the recoil starter rope that broke almost 4 years ago.  I was doing this work, with special attention to the starter rope as I'm planning a 3 day solo trip to my hunting lease next weekend.  The lease is big enough that if I were to have a battery or starter issue I could be looking at a several hour walk back to camp with no way to get the ATV out.  I get everything done and go to start it to pull back into the parking spot and it's got nothing.  I'm thinking that's very ironic since I literally had just installed the back up starter rope.  I go get the battery charger and start to hook it up when I realize that the positive terminal is loose.  Tighten it up and I was good to go.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

I go get the battery charger and start to hook it up when I realize that the positive terminal is loose.

It is the little things that get ya!

49 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Yesterday I was giving my ATV some lovin.  Oil change, new air filter, adjust brakes, and most importantly I replaced the recoil starter rope that broke almost 4 years ago.  I was doing this work, with special attention to the starter rope as I'm planning a 3 day solo trip to my hunting lease next weekend.  The lease is big enough that if I were to have a battery or starter issue I could be looking at a several hour walk back to camp with no way to get the ATV out.  I get everything done and go to start it to pull back into the parking spot and it's got nothing.  I'm thinking that's very ironic since I literally had just installed the back up starter rope.  I go get the battery charger and start to hook it up when I realize that the positive terminal is loose.  Tighten it up and I was good to go.  

LOL!

We got my boy’s Toyota back together and it spit, sputtered, and then wouldn’t even crank. Couldn’t hear the fuel pump. Couldn’t find anything we left unplugged. We swapped the relay out with the one in my truck and it ran like new. Swapped them back and it still ran like new. I still can’t hear the fuel pump. I guess it took a little whole for it to prime it’s self. I still don’t know why I can’t hear the fuel pump.

Got my Ford back together and it cranked and ran like new immediately. I can hear it’s fuel pump. It’s the one I got at a repo auction for $2700 and has 226k miles. I’m amazed every time I turn the key and something happens.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, RED333 said:

It is the little things that get ya!

I figured for sure it was time for a new battery.  That one came in it when I bought it in October of 2017, and it had been sitting for a while.  I'll go knock on wood now. 

2 hours ago, gregintenn said:

LOL!

We got my boy’s Toyota back together and it spit, sputtered, and then wouldn’t even crank. Couldn’t hear the fuel pump. Couldn’t find anything we left unplugged. We swapped the relay out with the one in my truck and it ran like new. Swapped them back and it still ran like new. I still can’t hear the fuel pump. I guess it took a little whole for it to prime it’s self. I still don’t know why I can’t hear the fuel pump.

Got my Ford back together and it cranked and ran like new immediately. I can hear it’s fuel pump. It’s the one I got at a repo auction for $2700 and has 226k miles. I’m amazed every time I turn the key and something happens.

Gotta love it when it's an easy and free fix!

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, 10-Ring said:

Gotta love it when it's an easy and free fix!

LOL! I’m $300+ into this “free fix” so far, but really enjoyed the time with my son. He’s starting a career and trying to make a name for himself, so he’s working about 65 hours a week. Between that and his girlfriend, there isn’t a lot of time left for ole dad. I’m glad to help when I can.

• Like 3

My dad got a check engine light last week. I used my $15 code reader to scan it and figure out it was related to the MAF sensor. Start looking closer under the hood and his air filter cover wasn't on. The idiots at Jiffy lube installed a new air filter and didn't even put the cover on right. So he was sucking in dirt for a week. 😠

I'm thankful I've learned how to work on both vehicles. The only thing I've paid a shop to do recently was an alignment. I would never trust a place like Jiffy Lube.

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 4
On 7/24/2021 at 9:06 PM, gregintenn said:

I think I’ve heard that before now that you mention it. It was parked in the barn, but it looked more like a clean break than a chewed place. I don’t really know for sure. I just spliced them back together. Probably not the best fix, but it works.

I worked on a 300ZX with 2200 miles that was towed in. took more than a week to find the throttle linkage was cutting into the wires to one injector blowing the two 30 amp fuses for the FI. that was 1986 and injector harnesses are STILL crappy.

Raoul has a point, covid has helped deteriorate these things by lack of use.

Could be worse though. Hooked up my friends Matrix and found two trans codes. That'll cost her.

• Like 1

If these electro vehicles arent annoying enough now. I was watching a vid on the new found science of the Sun's magnetic fields. Its pretty interesting to see how the sun functions with what they know at this point. It all boils down to we just finished up a magnetic short cycle and thats when the new cycle of increasing intensities come on at very high levels creating the most intense solar flares. The next few years are forcasted to be the most potentially powerful EMP producers that we have seen in decades. Just another reason to buy that model A pick up I'v been wanting ever since My High school buddy and me used to tool around in his Dad's Model A 5 window coup  way back when. We could hit 50 wound right tight going down hill!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
6 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

If these electro vehicles arent annoying enough now. I was watching a vid on the new found science of the Sun's magnetic fields. Its pretty interesting to see how the sun functions with what they know at this point. It all boils down to we just finished up a magnetic short cycle and thats when the new cycle of increasing intensities come on at very high levels creating the most intense solar flares. The next few years are forcasted to be the most potentially powerful EMP producers that we have seen in decades. Just another reason to buy that model A pick up I'v been wanting ever since My High school buddy and me used to tool around in his Dad's Model A 5 window coup  way back when. We could hit 50 wound right tight going down hill!

Reminds me of my uncle's 1950  Dodge pickup. His wife has still got it. It would run about 60 wide open, and screaming.

Edited by Quavodus
44 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Reminds me of my uncle's 1950  Dodge pickup. His wife has still has it. It would run about 60 wide open, and screaming.

I knew a fella who had an old Dodge truck like that. He got pulled over one day for going too slow. He told the officer "I'll tell you what. I'll scoot over and you can get in and see what you can get out of her."🤣

• Haha 3
22 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I knew a fella who had an old Dodge truck like that. He got pulled over one day for going too slow. He told the officer "I'll tell you what. I'll scoot over and you can get in and see what you can get out of her."🤣

Would sure like to be able to hear the rest of this story if the officer had actually took him up on that offer 😂😂

• Haha 1

Being as this thread has taken a turn, our work vans have GPS locators, Tattletale on speeding, so I drive 5 miles under, have had a few calls about going slow. Boss tells them to pass and move on.

• Like 3
36 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Being as this thread has taken a turn, our work vans have GPS locators, Tattletale on speeding, so I drive 5 miles under, have had a few calls about going slow. Boss tells them to pass and move on.

LOL, taken a turn, I see what you did there!

I had a company truck that would run well over the speed limit once. I drove it all over the state. 3500 Chevy cut van with oversize Knapheid closed service body. That thing sold me on LS engines.

For really weird, I had an old Eldorado years ago that would only start with the door open if it was raining. Never did figure that one out. My guess is it had a poor ground somewhere.

• Haha 2
On 7/25/2021 at 8:19 PM, 10-Ring said:

I figured for sure it was time for a new battery.  That one came in it when I bought it in October of 2017, and it had been sitting for a while.  I'll go knock on wood now. 

I bought a new tractor battery back in the spring, installed it, and still nothing. Finally found the bolts pulled through the negative battery cable connector. That battery was far from new, but I imagine it still had some years left.