Grilling Megathread

• 7 months later...
  • Moderators

So, I've been fortunate to fire up the Weber a time or two already this year. Was able snag an absolutely like new Weber 22" Performer for $150.00 off FaceBook a few months ago.

https://product-images.weber.com/Grill-Images/Charcoal/15301001B_1800x1800.png

I'm absolutely loving the lid holder and side table. Truth be told, it's the same exact grill that I had but in a nicer package.

• Like 3
  • Moderators

Yesterday I put forth my first attempt at smoking/slow cooking. I used the snake method on the Weber and I think would have been very, very successful had I more accurately estimated time. I had a 5lb pork butt  but got it started around 3:00PM. I should have gotten it stared around 10:00AM or even earlier. I ended up having to finish in the oven at 9:00PM as my wife was ready to eat something (anything!).

In doing this experiment, I learned a lot and am already making a list of things to order:

1) ThermoPro TP19

2) ThermoPro TP20 Wireless Meat Thermometer

3) Slow 'N Sear Deluxe

I've already ordered the TP19, I figured it would be the most versatile accessory because I can easily use it for slow cooks, long cooks, grilling, inside cooking, etc. I was use a rather cheapo mean thermometer and decided the clunkiness of it wasn't worth fooling with.

The TP20 I'll order before my next smoking attempt. It isn't so much necessary but it'll be very nice to be able to set everything up and "forget about it" until it's ready. I think I hurt my attempt yesterday by opening the lid up to peak and check temps. Being able to not open the lid at all and just keep an eye on temps remotely will be wonderful.

I really, really want the Slow 'N Sear. I may get the deluxe, I may get the older model. This will be great for steaks but I think it will also be great for slow cooking. It also greatly simplifies using a water reservoir.

Next time, I think I'll try about a 2-3lb brisket or similar, something that'll go relatively faster.

5 hours ago, TGO David said:

I need to get outside and grill something... anything... this week or I am going to have to turn in my Man Card.  The Kamado Joe is calling my name.

I recommend the Joetisserie for some whole chickens.  Makes for some incredible roasted chicken.

spacer.png

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

I cook cornish hens  on the Weber using the beer can style holders but don't have a place for the beer can.  LOL.  Place the stand in a cake pan, and slow cook it for about 45 min around 300-350.  Some wild rice with mushrooms, good meal.  

• Like 1

I do beer can chicken pretty often. I use the mini coke cans we get for the kids. I pull one out of the recycle bin and fill it about half full of beer. I sit the chicken upright in an aluminum pie pan and sit that on the grill. I find that sits there just fine, no need for those pricey stands. 

I would like to get a rotisserie.