Dusty Hill passes at 72

3 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Dusty Hill, the legendary bass player for ZZ Top passed away in his sleep last night. Damn! They are one of my all time favorite bands. I really hate to hear this.  He will be sorely missed. 😪

Wasn't Dusty a buddy of Steelharp's? Seems I remember that.

Regardless, I loved ZZTop. Always great driving music. Went over my wife's head.

Beer Drinkers and Hellraisers Forever!

You will be missed Dusty.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

December 31, 1981.  My very young self had a 3rd row seat to ZZ Top in the Mid-South Coliseum.  Joan Jett started the show.  Good times.

July 4th, 1976, the Bicentennial Jam at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis Tn.  The Outlaws, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and ZZTop in one show.  There was another intro act, but I can no longer remember who it was ...

31 minutes ago, No_0ne said:

July 4th, 1976, the Bicentennial Jam at the Liberty Bowl in Memphis Tn.  The Outlaws, Lynyrd Skynyrd, and ZZTop in one show.  There was another intro act, but I can no longer remember who it was ...

Pretty sure If I saw Blue Oyster Cult I’d have to remember it.

3 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Pretty sure If I saw Blue Oyster Cult I’d have to remember it.

Ah, it wasn't them.  I forgot to include BOC in my list, in fact at the time they were one of my favorite bands.  Their omission was one of the many "senior moments" I seem to have now ...

28 minutes ago, OLDNEWBIE said:

Seen them in 81 ?? Perhaps.

Great sound live unlike many of that time and...

When they spun their fuzzy guitars in unison the crowd went insane!

Bad and Nationwide my favorite because I had a V8 Ford. 

They started that guitar spinning shtick  with “Legs” in ‘83.   A shame it was.  With as much talent as they had the gimmicks are remembered the most.

• Like 3
18 hours ago, Garufa said:

They started that guitar spinning shtick  with “Legs” in ‘83.   A shame it was.  With as much talent as they had the gimmicks are remembered the most.

Yeah I agree. They even did that bit in Back to the Future 3.

Never was much of a ZZ Top fan and never bothered to see them live. Not nearly heavy enough for my taste but it is sad to see these icons pass. 

In fact I never cared much for any of the current rock of my "youth". In the 80's I pretty much stuck to 60's and 70's metal/rock. In the 90's I began to tolerate some of the 80's heavier offerings. and in the 2000's I began to accept and appreciate some of the 90's metal. Always a decade behind I guess. 

Side note: Joey Jordison also passed on the 28th at the far to young age of 46.