Trunk gun

turkeydad

On 8/9/2021 at 9:29 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Wet equals miserable no matter what the temperature.

On 8/6/2021 at 10:45 AM, TennesseeCamper said:

I have experienced the dry heat in Iraq,Kuwait and Saudi Arabia and the American Southwest. 
Stationed at Fort Irwin for a few years.  But when I arrived in lower Alabama in August, during my first p.t. run, I knew that was the most miserable heat of all! 

As far as Eotech the biggest concern I would have is the batteries failing from the heat or time. And also corrosion of the batteries if they fail. 
I had one that always seemed to have dead batteries when I wanted to shoot it and it was keep in ideal temperatures. 

On 8/5/2021 at 7:43 PM, Blitzen said:

I once asked a co-worker who is a former Marine and was in Fallujah both times what was hotter. The 100+ dry heat in Iraq or the 90+ high humidity heat in the southern US. His answer.. Hot is Hot!

When I was in the Marine Corps, one of my duties was the base color guard. We had to do local veteran funerals that were typically in Palm Springs. One of those funerals was when it was around 120 degrees. During the grave-site service, the cemetery decided that it was time to water the grass all around us and thus shooting up the humidity way up high. By the time the service was over our uniforms were so soaked that the only dry spot was the very tips of the breast pocket flaps on our Creaton shirts.  I've never had that happen before. When I was stationed to Okinawa we dressed more appropriately for the heat and humidity.

Edited by E4 No More
  • Like 2
On 9/13/2021 at 8:44 PM, Grayfox54 said:

How many times do I have to say it?  Every Police Officer I've ever asked has said the the overwhelming  majority of stolen gun reports they do have the firearm stolen out of a vehicle. Don't leave guns in vehicles!  🤬

Agreed!

If you can't "back pack it" it doesn't need to be left in the car. There are small-ish firearms in multiple flavors that will fit in small bags. If you feel you need to take something more than a pistol, don't leave it in the car. Suffer and pack the extra weight. 

This does not apply to farms or the like where you may need something for small or medium critters and you are setting fence posts or checking the perimeter or tending the fields....

On 9/13/2021 at 7:44 PM, Grayfox54 said:

How many times do I have to say it?  Every Police Officer I've ever asked has said the the overwhelming  majority of stolen gun reports they do have the firearm stolen out of a vehicle. Don't leave guns in vehicles!  🤬

Next time you talk to those Police Officers maybe ask them (1) were the majority of these stolen guns taken from unlocked cars? (2) how many guns remain in their patrol cars when they are not in the vehicle?

Id be willing to bet that if you asked them they would tell you that the 2nd most common place guns are stolen from are peoples homes.....would it make you feel better if we didn’t leave guns in our homes if we aren’t there?

How about we place the bulk of the blame where it should be, which is on the sh!theads stealing other people’s things.

As is often the case when someone makes a blanket decree as you did above, you fail to keep in mind that not everyone here lives in the same place or under the same circumstances. Maybe it’s not a good idea to keep a gun in a car where you live, but that’s not the case everywhere. I know several properties within a few miles of me that have guns in just about every vehicle and farm apparatus on their property, none of which have ever been locked, and none of their guns have ever been stolen. I also know a guy that left a gun case in plain sight on the back seat of his locked truck over in La Vergne a while back and somebody broke his window out in broad daylight to get it. While I do think in modern times it is advisable to take some reasonable precaution to keep it out of direct view, I won’t be condemning anyone for keeping firearms in their secured extension of their castle.

• Like 3
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, Danger Rane said:

Next time you talk to those Police Officers maybe ask them (1) were the majority of these stolen guns taken from unlocked cars? (2) how many guns remain in their patrol cars when they are not in the vehicle?

Id be willing to bet that if you asked them they would tell you that the 2nd most common place guns are stolen from are peoples homes.....would it make you feel better if we didn’t leave guns in our homes if we aren’t there?

How about we place the bulk of the blame where it should be, which is on the sh!theads stealing other people’s things.

As is often the case when someone makes a blanket decree as you did above, you fail to keep in mind that not everyone here lives in the same place or under the same circumstances. Maybe it’s not a good idea to keep a gun in a car where you live, but that’s not the case everywhere. I know several properties within a few miles of me that have guns in just about every vehicle and farm apparatus on their property, none of which have ever been locked, and none of their guns have ever been stolen. I also know a guy that left a gun case in plain sight on the back seat of his locked truck over in La Vergne a while back and somebody broke his window out in broad daylight to get it. While I do think in modern times it is advisable to take some reasonable precaution to keep it out of direct view, I won’t be condemning anyone for keeping firearms in their secured extension of their castle.

I don't know about police cars of today, but in the 90's the shotgun was in a locked steel carrier that you'd be pretty busy trying to open before the cop came back to the car.

• Moderators
1 hour ago, E4 No More said:

I don't know about police cars of today, but in the 90's the shotgun was in a locked steel carrier that you'd be pretty busy trying to open before the cop came back to the car.

You should check out some of the videos by the Lockpicking Lawyer. The ease with which those locks can generally be defeated with simple tools like a magnet or a particular shim should result in criminal liability for fraud on the part of the manufacturers. 

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

You should check out some of the videos by the Lockpicking Lawyer. The ease with which those locks can generally be defeated with simple tools like a magnet or a particular shim should result in criminal liability for fraud on the part of the manufacturers. 

Anything can be defeated with the proper tools, skill, and time. Really doesn't matter what it is.

• Thanks 1
51 minutes ago, gary_boom said:

In my neighborhood are two Police cars parked in the street in front of the officer’s homes. Both have overhead gun racks with ARs in them. I noticed what looked like a sling hanging down one morning and that’s what it was.

I read a lot lately about guns being stolen out of police cars.  I think as was said above, no one should keep a gun in a car.  Thats one of the reasons i hate our laws that allow the gun ban signs...kinda makes you leave the gun behind...

On 9/15/2021 at 12:19 AM, Danger Rane said:

😳  W O W!

I can not believe you typed that. Blame the theif for stealing your firearms? Really? Place the "bulk" of the blame on the theif? 

It is your responsibility to keep your "stuff" safe no matter what "stuff" a theif steals. If your firearms aren't locked up tight in a proper safe at home, that's all your fault if they get stolen. Stealing happens and it's not like it's it's new concept. It's your responsibility to keep any and all firearms out of anyone else's hands. If your firearms aren't properly locked up, and they get stolen and used in robberies or murders, don't blame the theif, blame yourself for being an idiot and not securing them as you should have. Little kids steal, adults steal, teenagers steal. Age doesn't matter or the type of things stolen. 

It ain't "the old days" anywhere anymore. It's 2021 and we were talking truck guns in this thread. 

Even on a farm style setting, all people who have a firearm in a truck or on a UTV or tractor when it's parked should take it back inside to safely store. Never leave a firearm unattended unless its safely and securely stored. That's gun ownership 101!! 

Gun ownership is a great responsibility. It's not a blame game. 🙄 

Edited by kwe45919
39 minutes ago, kwe45919 said:

😳  W O W!

I can not believe you typed that. Blame the theif for stealing your firearms? Really? Place the "bulk" of the blame on the theif? 

It is your responsibility to keep your "stuff" safe no matter what "stuff" a theif steals. If your firearms aren't locked up tight in a proper safe at home, that's all your fault if they get stolen. Stealing happens and it's not like it's it's new concept. It's your responsibility to keep any and all firearms out of anyone else's hands. If your firearms aren't properly locked up, and they get stolen and used in robberies or murders, don't blame the theif, blame yourself for being an idiot and not securing them as you should have. Little kids steal, adults steal, teenagers steal. Age doesn't matter or the type of things stolen. 

It ain't "the old days" anywhere anymore. It's 2021 and we were talking truck guns in this thread. 

Even on a farm style setting, all people who have a firearm in a truck or on a UTV or tractor when it's parked should take it back inside to safely store. Never leave a firearm unattended unless its safely and securely stored. That's gun ownership 101!! 

While I agree with you that securing your firearms is a mater of personal responsibility, and one should be personally obligated to do so, I definitely do place the blame for theft on thieves, where it belongs.  I don't leave my guns unsecured in my car, and I think its irresponsible to do so. I also keep the bulk of my guns at home security in safes, as well.

Blaming the gun owner for theft kinda seems like blaming the girl that got raped on being  attractive and wearing what society these days considers fashionable clothes...

• Like 4
6 hours ago, Defender said:

Blaming the gun owner for theft kinda seems like blaming the girl that got raped on being  attractive and wearing what society these days considers fashionable clothes...

2 totally different subjects that cannot and should not be compared. 

I also understand that not everyone can afford a proper gun safe to store their firearms or an alarm for their house and that these are deterants only. Given effort and time anything can be broken into. With that said.....cars are way to easy to steal these days, especially with some of the electronics hackers use to gain access and houses are becoming the same way. 

One must do everything they can to keep their firearms secured and out of the hands of theifs.....

11 hours ago, kwe45919 said:

😳  W O W!

I totally see how it would be your fault if I broke into your house or car took things.

• Like 4
1 hour ago, Garufa said:

The blame is 100% on the thief.

47 minutes ago, Alleycat72 said:

I totally see how it would be your fault if I broke into your house or car took things.

I get what yall are saying but at what point do we as gun owners, knowing there have been theifs in the world for ever, take responsibility to not leave a gun, specifically a "truck/trunk" gun in a vehicle 24hrs a day? We are specifically talking about cars/trucks here, houses were kinda added in. 

I know there are theifs and I do everything possible to deter or prevent that theft from occurring. Don't you? In order for a gun to not be stolen from my car, I don't leave one in there. I'm not gona blame the theif if I'm the dumba$$ who left it there. Get my point? You know for a fact people ain't honest so why live like everyone is? 

• Like 1

I don't store a firearms in my car.  Those days are long gone, if it was ever a good idea.  If one obeys our stupid gun laws here, there are times when some folks temporarily leave a gun inside a car.  I'm talking about attending events at venues that ban guns.  Personally, I try very hard to just avoid these venues, but there are times...for example, the US Post Office.  For those that might not think twice about carrying past a gun ban sign, there are certain places where doing so could cost you way more than your HCP.  So what is one to do, be unarmed  during the commute or temporarily leave a gun inside the locked vehicle?  I have a lock box in my vehicle attached to a metal  cable attached to my car for such an event.  I know its not really secure, but I think it might slow down a thief long enough to deter a smash and grab. I wouldn't ever leave a gun in it for long.  

Edited by Defender
  • Like 2
34 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Blame falls on the thief. 

Responsibility falls on the owner.  

So if the owner is irresponsible, blame the theif? If the owner is responsible, blame the theif. No matter what, blame the theif. 

I wonder if a theif blames a gun owner if he is irresponsible? Wonder if a theif blames the gun owner for being responsible. 🤔

Guess I just disagree and feel the blame falls on me as a responsible gun owner if I do stupid stuff like leave my gun unattended in my car locked up or not and it gets stolen especially since cars are stolen way more often than just a gun in a car. 😉

Edited by kwe45919

I know......If the gun manufacturer hadn't made the gun, I would not have purchased the gun. If I hadn't purchased the gun, the theif wouldn't have been able to take the gun. If the theif hadn't been able to take the gun, he wouldn't have killed someone with it. It's the manufacturers fault. The theif is the victim. The dead guy a I are accomplices.

Do I win the liberal logic award? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2