Outpost Armory new location

I finally made it out to Murfreesboro today to check out the new location. I didn’t use the range today but probably will at some point. The layout is very nice and spread out more than it was at the old spot. Many rifles and pistols in stock and quite a few people in there buying as well. I saw quite a few small things I’d like to have but kept my self control and walked out under $20 😂 Picked up a Magpul 20 round 5.56 magazine and a flag morale patch. 
Have any of you used the range, and if so what did you think of it. I don’t know if the 100 yard lanes are open yet and probably should have asked while I was there. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, RED333 said:

I am sure it is like all indoor ranges, not allowed to use my reloads. I had heard it is in partnership with the Nashville armory, anyone know anything about this?

That's what I have heard as well. Not sure full details on it though.

The store is nice, but was super disappointed to learn they no longer carry any reloading supplies. That was the only reason I ever stopped in the old Outpost when in the area.

29 minutes ago, TNMTBik3r said:

The store is nice, but was super disappointed to learn they no longer carry any reloading supplies. That was the only reason I ever stopped in the old Outpost when in the area.

One of the guys told me they didn’t have any reloading stuff when I asked if he’d seen any primers come in lately. I thought he just meant they were completely sold out. Which I thought was strange because they usually had a big selection of reloading items. I didn’t realize at the time that he may have meant they have quit carrying anything for reloading. That is bad news for sure if that’s the case going forward. 

5 hours ago, RED333 said:

I am sure it is like all indoor ranges, not allowed to use my reloads. I had heard it is in partnership with the Nashville armory, anyone know anything about this?

It is not in partnership with Nashville Armory. Originally it was intended to be but that deal fell apart or at least was altered significantly by the time it opened. Remember it was like 2 + years delayed. 
Operated completely by the Outpost staff/mgmnt side now. 

2 hours ago, TNMTBik3r said:

2 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

That’s crazy. They used to have a quite large reloading section. 

The reloading supplies took up a good deal of shelf real-estate with low margin slow moving inventory.  Dozens of fixture hooks/locations with things like shell holders, decap rods, or other small bits of $5.00 hardware that you might sell a couple of a year. Plus the fairly large boxes for things like a press kit that you would be lucky to sell one a month of. It was a resource/time suck with little positive return. 

We tried to talk Mgmt into carrying the basics, especially the stuff that requires hazmat, like powder, primer, projectile, and maybe some common brass cases. That would be better than nothing and move much quicker than all the hardware and gear. Still working on them when I get the opportunity but I would not hold my breath.

• Like 3
  • Admin Team

Once a place puts in a range - they're almost certain to move away from supporting reloading.

Like was mentioned above - components take up a lot of space that could be used for higher sales volume/margin stuff.

Modern insurance also really doesn't like reloads. 

But, the real issue is a business decision. Routine maintenance on a range is both interval based and round count based. A lot of management teams see reloaders as high volume shooters who are going to increase their costs without offsetting that with spending in the store. Thus, reloaders are seen as more trouble than they're worth - and reloads are banned. Sure, you potentially lose a customer - but they really don't care when the Customer Lifetime Value is low.

• Like 2

When I went to Nashville  I would always make a point to go there, but it was just because of the reloading supplies. 

The reloading section was a draw for me, I didn’t always buy reloading stuff but I did always buy something.

So even though the stuff in the reloading section might have moved slower it got me in the door, now I don’t see a reason to go anymore. 

Edited by expendable
Typo
22 hours ago, TNMTBik3r said:

Same for me, that and sales on ammo, when they had a sale.

19 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

It is not in partnership with Nashville Armory.

Good on the Outpost!

• Like 1

I work on the Range side of the new Outpost, I don't  post much here, but thought I'd chime in on a couple of things and  give a brief description of the range, 7-25yd lanes, rifle/pistol/shotgun, upper cal limit is .308, shotguns use slug or buck only, no hip fire.  7-15yd lanes, handgun only,  3-100 yd rifle, .50 cal max.

The only ammo restrictions are no tracers or incendiary rounds.

You CAN shoot reloads, steel case, steel core, green tip, etc.

Not part of any other range, Barrett owns the store and range. 

Cant speak on the reloading section of the store, I stick to the range side as an Instructor/RSO.  You guys are welcome to come check it out and if Im not tied up I'll show you around.

Bud

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2
33 minutes ago, usnbud said:

I work on the Range side of the new Outpost, I don't  post much here, but thought I'd chime in on a couple of things and  give a brief description of the range, 7-25yd lanes, rifle/pistol/shotgun, upper cal limit is .308, shotguns use slug or buck only, no hip fire.  7-15yd lanes, handgun only,  3-100 yd rifle, .50 cal max.

The only ammo restrictions are no tracers or incendiary rounds.

Not part of any other range, Barrett owns the store and range. 

Cant speak on the reloading section of the store, I stick to the range side as an Instructor/RSO.  You guys are welcome to come check it out and if Im not tied up I'll show you around.

Bud

Appreciate the info!

• Like 2
9 hours ago, usnbud said:

This is GREAT news, thanks so much for posting.

While I have your attention what are the hours of the store and range?

• Like 1

I liked the old location better.No traffic and convenient to get to.Not a fan of the layout for the guns either.Its a gun store not a museum but I can see where it would cut down on groups of people hovering around the counter. I took my daughter to the range,it was nice and reasonably priced.Disappointed to hear they aren’t selling reloading supplies anymore.

Edited by et45
Spelling