Spinal Surgery

I've had a pinched nerve in my neck along my spine that has been causing me a lot of almost constant pain all the way down my left arm to my hand.  It was so bad that, while  it wasnt real debilitating, but the pain was significant and no medication seemed to help.  i was referred to a neurosurgeon, Dr. Ernest Wright, and he performed a surgery Friday to remove 4 collapsed vertebrae in my neck and replace them with spacers.  I was in Ascension St Thomas Hospital for Specialty Surgery over Friday night after surgery and discharged yesterday.  For this surgery, they go in thru the front of the throat to the spine, so i have soreness and some pain in the front as well as more pain in the back, and it'll be hard to eat and drink (swallowing) for a few days, but I think the surgery is going to fix the issue.  If anyone has to have this procedure done, I highly recommend Dr. Wright and St Thomas.  The staff in ICU that took care of me before and after my surgery were very caring, comforting and professional.  Never having had major surgery before, I was, quite frankly, very afraid, but the nurses went out of their way to be calming and reassuring to me.   

• Like 9
  • Administrator

Speedy recovery!  Going in through the throat is an interesting surgical approach but I'm sure it minimizes negative consequences of the surgical procedure itself.

Kind of like how the IRS always goes for my wallet through my anus.  But different at the same time.  They minimize nothing in that procedure.   🙂

• Haha 6

I hope everything goes well for you.  Having had back surgeries on 3 occasions, albeit at the other end of the spine (lumbar), I can definitely sympathize.  Don't scrimp on whatever they give you for rehab/post surgical stretching and strengthening, that goes a long way towards eventually alleviating pain and helping you avoid subsequent "dissection" events ...

• Like 1

I pray for your speedy recovery. Had his same procedure done a few years back. sill have some stiffness and pain but nothing like before. My voice changed some, of course I smoke so ha didn't help there. Did they send you home with one of the bone growth stimulating collars?

• Like 1

Sorry you had to go thru this, very sorry. Having endured spinal problems for many years, mostly arthritis from age and injuries; I can sympathasize with you. I'm not comparing pains, I think neck would be the worst. I complain when I sleep in a bad position and get cricks in the neck. Can't imagine, and don't want to know yours.

Prayers buddy for easing of the pain, and recovery.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, papa61 said:

I pray for your speedy recovery. Had his same procedure done a few years back. sill have some stiffness and pain but nothing like before. My voice changed some, of course I smoke so ha didn't help there. Did they send you home with one of the bone growth stimulating collars?

Nope, just pain meds and muscle relaxers.

38 minutes ago, Defender said:

Nope, just pain meds and muscle relaxers.

ah yes, I remember it not so well.

Being a smoker, my insurance paid for a bone growth simulator. I still have it if you and your surgeon would like you o have it.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, papa61 said:

ah yes, I remember it not so well.

Being a smoker, my insurance paid for a bone growth simulator. I still have it if you and your surgeon would like you o have it.

Thanks, I appreciate the offer.  Ill ask him when I see him for the follow-up/

• Like 1
3 hours ago, partypilot1 said:

I had Dr. Wright back in 2007 for back surgery.  Good guy

Yes, all the nurses said he was the best.  Good bedside manner, and by all accounts a great surgeon too.  He's done over a thousand of these, he said.