Back from Western Vacation

pop pop

Well, we are back from our 5 week trip out West. On our way out I40 we visited the Murrow Building NP in Oklahoma city and eat a steak in the remaining steak house cattle drovers eat in back in the late 1800's. Yes it is still there and serving Rattlesnake, Rocky Mountain Oysters still. Been to the NP there 3 times and it is a somber place. 

Also stopped by the Petrified Forest N P this time. We spent two weeks around the Grand Canyon, Page Arizona, and Kanab Utah area. There were 11 of us. My wife and I and two of our daughters and their family's. We had a great family vacation time. Those youngins keep one moving. Had 107 degree days at one point around Zion N P. Explored Zion, Bryce Canyon N P, and all the surrounding area. Our kids left us after 2 weeks. Had to go back to work. 

We decided to travel on and took our traveling grandson Cody with us. We traveled up through Utah and spent time around Salt Lake City. We visited Temple Square and they were working on the foundation of the Temple. Visited within the area for a couple days. Nice place. Missed seeing a keyboard friend while there in SLC, Bandaidman,  who I really wanted to meet and greet. Never got his reply until it was too late. 

Left there and traveled across Idaho, and went through Central Oregon on to the coast. Was really surprised at the topography in C Oregon. First desert then mountains farther west. Coos Bay was a charming town along with the rugged coast of Oregon.

Next was Crescent City California and we visited the Redwoods NP and was amazed at the size of those trees and the forest. My sweetie wanted to see El Capetian, so we left there and traveled south of Sacramento to Yosemite N P, and explored Yosemite Valley but did not hike a lot. Got too old for much of that. 

Left Yosemite and traveled back across the mountains through Donner Pass and seen the history surrounding the Donner party and their ordeal they experienced there. Snow was 22 feet deep while they were there. We then crossed north Nevada then the Salt Flats back through Salt Lake city on the way back east. 

Came across Wyoming and camped at Laramie. Just so happened that  Cheyanne was having their "Frontier Days Festival" they have annually. Man was that a real treat. Was not able to get rodeo tickets, at 200.00 a pop, because they were sold out. My sweetie was worried because of coved and there were wall to wall people there and we were amongst them. 

Left there and traveled through Nebraska and there was not much to see there and we were running low on time. I was on the way to Springfield Missouri because I wanted to see the Bass Pro Shop there and the Wonders of Life Museum they have just opened there within the BPS. By the way that is their Flagg Ship store and it is a very large store. If you ever get a chance go and see that museum, it cost 40.00 to get in for seniors, and worth every penny. Spent 4 hours in there and never seen the same thing twice. It was a real treat. 

This was a trip of a lifetime. Cost me a bunch, but I had to pay 5.30 per gal for Diesel Fuel in California, if that tells you anything. Here in Mid TN we are paying 2.79 per gal. I am a little sad it is over because it will most probably be our last out west adventure. Kinda glad to be home for a while but will hit the trail again in Sept, L/w. Now going to get to some light farming, for a little while.

• Like 12

I agree “the Donner Pass thing” sticks a person”s mind.  I have yet to forget that strange eerie feeling that came over me when we parked our HDs to walk and look around several years ago.  Honestly, I was a little more than ready to go when we hit the pavement again.    Think sometimes I would like to return just to see if that strange feeling would return, but then again, maybe not!!

Congrats on a great and safe trip!!