Advice on 1911a1 .45 handguns?

Quavodus

You might throw out the range you hope to stay in.

Personally, I like the springfield mil spec loaded as a starter as they are only a little more. Dovetail front sight so you can swap sights vs a true old A1 style with a fixed blade.

I think Tisas went both ways, but staying with a series 70 may be preferable unless you are an advocate of safety bobbles.

Edited by Erich
23 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Thanks. I'd like to get one out the door for $500 or less. I know, most people say buy something better. I say I don't want to. 😎

Don't worry about what other people say. Once the addiction hits you the "better" will come naturally 😁

• Like 1

Rock Islands have years of positive reputation but those SDS Tisas have come on strong.  They are generally very well regarded and start under $400 for a basic GI model.  They are also stamped Knoxville, TN as SDS is based here, so that’s kinda cool.

Edited by Garufa
Spellling
  • Like 7

I will vote for the RIA in the economy category-I have had a few different models of theirs-

Rocks are fairly heavy but that only means real stee-l Currently I have a RIA Ultra FS in 10mm-Ceracoat gray with all the goodies-

The cost of that was around $650.00-that is with all the upgrades a person would want.

• Like 1

Late chime in...but I vote for the Rock Island as well. I have several now, and have had others in the past. Have to say the 1911 9mm is my favorite, but the 45 is pretty great as well. Don't think you can go wrong with a Rock.

First impressions on the Tisas is that it might actually be better than the Rock. 😉 Very tight gun. No shakes, rattles, or rolls. lol!

Fit and finish on the Tisas is unbelievable. It's as tight as any 1911 I've laid my hands on. Granted that's not up to the number of you more experienced guys, but I think it would be a good choice.

Xsubsailor mentioned a 9mm version. I haven't seen one, but sure would be interested. lol

I have a bunch of .45’s from US property marked 1911 to 1911A1’s to Springfields and Rocks race guns.  I purchased a Tisas .45 and 9mm.  Wow, what a set of guns.  Cheap but shoot great.  I think they out perform the Norinco.  Tight as Dicks hatband.  I purchased these to see just how bad a Turkish gun could be.  Boy was I surprised.  Well, I would carry either one into a gun fight which I hope never happens. 

• Like 3

I'll throw my vote out there for the Tisas.  Bought one a couple of months ago and it's been  joy to shoot. The cost was $438 OTD from Harvey's. 

It's the SDS !911a1 U.S. Army.  I bought it because it looked the most like what I carried in the military, just new. My only complaint about it was the magazine.  It was a bit flimsy, and extremely hard to load.  I've seen reviews online that complained about the same thing.  I happened to have a military issue mag new in the wrapper, so I changed them out and it runs fine with that.  I have also used a Chip McCormick and a Wilson and both those mags work well, too.

I've had zero issues with it, but in fairness, I've only shot a 100 rounds of 230 FMJ through it.  

1 hour ago, Beltfed said:

I have a bunch of .45’s from US property marked 1911 to 1911A1’s to Springfields and Rocks race guns.  I purchased a Tisas .45 and 9mm.  Wow, what a set of guns.  Cheap but shoot great.  I think they out perform the Norinco.  Tight as Dicks hatband.  I purchased these to see just how bad a Turkish gun could be.  Boy was I surprised.  Well, I would carry either one into a gun fight which I hope never happens. 

Thanks for jogging my memory, I have a Norinco buried somewhere in my safe that's only had one box of ammo through it. Although SA autos are not my cup of tea,  I do have a few.

3 hours ago, xsubsailor said:

Thanks for jogging my memory, I have a Norinco buried somewhere in my safe that's only had one box of ammo through it. Although SA autos are not my cup of tea,  I do have a few.

Dang! You all are making me want my Norinco back.  It was stolen about 15 years ago, in a burglary of our house.  It was one of the best shooting .45s I've ever owned! 

1 hour ago, bdykd0 said:

Anyone have any experience with the Cimarron ?  I've only seen them online, but they look most original to me

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), the Cimarron is a copy of the 1911 and not the 1911a1.  Most 1911s were converted after WWI, into 1911a1s.  So when you run across one, they are not cheap!!!

Moped is correct. Cimarron  specializes in Cowboy Action Shooting guns. Their 1911 is a copy of the original for use in "Wild Bunch" matches. Its not what you're looking for. 

I also have a Norinco in my safe. Its getting kinda hard to find one that's unmolested. Many were used as a base gun for some fine custom jobs. I decided to leave mine original. 😉

• Like 2