Full size 40 vs subcompact 9mm recoil

loadedp3at

Many ladies don’t like the .40 because it is too “snappy”.  The recoil difference between it and 9mm never bothered me.

Never shot a Sccy or this unknown full size .40 you’re talking about either.  Small 9’s can be equal to .40’s in regards to perceived recoil depending on the platforms you’re comparing.

One thing I do know is that no 9mm is going to deliver 180 grains of devastating hydrostatic shock.  😀

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 3
On 8/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, Garufa said:

Many ladies don’t like the .40 because it is too “snappy”.  The recoil difference between it and 9mm never bothered me.

Never shot a Sccy or this unknown full size .40 you’re talking about either.  Small 9’s can be equal to .40’s in regards to perceived recoil depending on the platforms you’re comparing.

One thing I do know is that no 9mm is going to deliver 180 grains of devastating hydrostatic shock.  😀

Thought the lower limit for hydrostatic shock was 2200fps.  You shooting magnum 40's?

Just in good humor!

On 8/7/2021 at 7:34 PM, loadedp3at said:

Has conveniently each and can compare the two recoil wise. I have a sccy and was looking at a 40 cal 4 inch barrel. Just wondering about the recoil difference. 

If it is a carry gun, go for the more concealable yet manageable gun, that would often be the 9mm version.

Got em both.., A Glock 27 ( ..40 ..) and a Sig 938.  Like others have opined, ya cant tell much difference as to recoil.  That said; the SIG conceals lots easier.  I wouldnt turn around for the difference in em, unless concealment is a big deal.  

leroy

• 2 weeks later...

I never got on the .40 bandwagon, because I was shooting with the ARCOM rifle team and getting all the 9mm and .45ACP I wanted to practice with, so all my pistols were 9mm and .45. I think that if I were to look at a .40 now, I'd step up to the 10mm to be honest.