Curtailing my shooting activities

The changes in...well everything...this last year has me rethinking my shooting activities.

Shooting has been a lifelong interest because it is challenging yet relaxing, for me.

It has always been an accessible hobby with a semi-reasonable. coast.  It has been FUN!

I don't know, it doesn't seem like the future is all that bright for us in the shooting community, not talking politics.

So I have loaded every 9mm, 38 spl and 45 act cases I have.  Used up all my X-treme bullets in the process, almost all my primers.

Won't worry anymore about getting ammo or reloading supplies.  Shoot up what I have and then move on to other things so to speak.

Have a couple of 22's in case the urge hits me down the road a bit.

It has been a great hobby, but just not worth all the bucks or effort anymore.  

Yeah, a couple of shooting buddies want to get me into crossbow or paintball, not sure I can or want to adapt.

Anyone relate to this?

• Like 3

I’m not there. 
Nothing is inexpensive. Heck, they’ve managed to make dying an expensive event.  Those other hobbies an’t cheap either.  If it doesn’t bring you joy, spend money and time elsewhere.  cheap fun & challenging,  try a simpleshot scout till primers make it back to reasonable prices  

• Like 1
13 hours ago, superduty said:

Dont give up yet. The frustrations you describe have historically been cyclical. Boom and bust. Hang in there.

For quite a few years I did not reload 9mm because 1k cases were cheap, also shot more 38/45 then but reloaded for them.

Now a single primer is worth more than what I used to pay for a 9mm  Blazer or PMC round.  

No way that will happen again.

• Like 2

I had really been into shooting  for decades. There is something called burnout. Having been with some of this shooting stuff intensely something happens. Then comes the what the hell am I doing, thinking, and feeling. 😳The simple solution here is to set  shooting things aside for a time. 

Right now I'm backing off some. I have been loading for three of four rifle cartridges at the same time. This along with keeping two 550's running for informal handgun matches. Get that burnout so go do something else.  My yard has not looked this good for years.

I learned the hard way not to say screw it and start selling stuff.  Some of the things we have had for years may not be easily replaceable.  Where I'm going is getting radical may be hard to impossible to undo.

We are already starting to see thing come back with somewhat lower prices. Sure enough some people were willing to spend $200.00 for a brick of primers. My call on it is to wait and allow this screwed famine to play out. In the meantime all my extra equipment was sold on the auction sites. My bet is that in two years you can find all sorts of deals on primers, powder and second hand reloading gear. 

Edited by Mowgli Terry
  • Like 2
20 minutes ago, Mowgli Terry said:

I had really been into shooting  for decades. There is something called burnout. Having been with some of this shooting stuff intensely something happens. Then comes the what the hell am I doing, thinking, and feeling. 😳The simple solution here is to set  shooting things aside for a time. 

Right now I'm backing off some. I have been loading for three of four rifle cartridges at the same time. This along with keeping two 550's running for informal handgun matches. Get that burnout so go do something else.  My yard has not looked this good for years.

I learned the hard way not to say screw it and start selling stuff.  Some of the things we have had for years may not be easily replaceable.  Where I'm going is getting radical may be hard to impossible to undo.

We are already starting to see thing come back with somewhat lower prices. Sure enough some people were willing to spend $200.00 for a brick of primers. My call on it is to wait and allow this screwed famine to play out. In the meantime all my extra equipment was sold on the auction sites. My bet is that in two years you can find all sorts of deals on primers, powder and second hand reloading gear. 

Good perspective.  "Burnout" is a good term for what I am experiencing.  Not selling much, maybe some reloading stuff (probably not).

Thanks!

• Like 1

Interesting, Ed. Just to satisfy my curiosity, how old are you?

I ask because I wonder how much the things you're experiencing are going to effect younger shooters. I think that guys my age, 65, are unlikely to give up shooting unless ammunition simply becomes impossible to get. But maybe a 20 year old might be interested in the shooting sports but find that it's just not worth the hassle, just as you are finding it's not worth it for you. New gun sales seem to indicate that there are lots of new owners out there, but how many of those will be "shooters" as opposed to "owners". 

I play a lot of racquetball, but I'm seeing fewer and fewer young people taking up the game. The average age on the courts seems to be growing right along with my age. I'd sure hate to see that happen with the shooting sports, too.

When I attend large meeting of our rifle club it's mainly with senior citizens. No younger people are involved on that level. There are plenty of  young shooters about. Their main interest appears to be shooting black rifles with store bought cartridges.

Edited by Mowgli Terry

There is more to life than shooting.  I've cut way back on trigger time due to the current climate but have no intention of walking away.  Things will return to how they were eventually.  In the meantime I'm enjoying some of my other 27 hobbies. 

• Like 5

Burnout is the right word. I hit 65 in the middle of this damn chicom flu outbreak. I find it hard to figure out what to do next. I thought about retiring but quickly realized I'd go bonkers if I closed up shop. And in the middle of this mess the folks who control my gun range decided to do a bunch of upgrades that have resulted in most of the range being damn near unusable . looks like most everything these days is a giant cf.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
11 hours ago, Raoul said:

Burnout is the right word. I hit 65 in the middle of this damn chicom flu outbreak. I find it hard to figure out what to do next. I thought about retiring but quickly realized I'd go bonkers if I closed up shop. And in the middle of this mess the folks who control my gun range decided to do a bunch of upgrades that have resulted in most of the range being damn near unusable . looks like most everything these days is a giant cf.

Come on man. It's scientifically proven that coronavirus kills the flu virus. Like 3 people in the US got the flu last year. 😆

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Hey Darrell all you need to do is click on a username and find out info. Ed will be 72 in November, only 3 years older than me.

Hey Ed, don't quit on us now, but sometimes you need to go fishing or a number of other hobbies. I won't quit shooting until I am deceased. I may not shoot 500 rounds a week like I used to, but I will shoot. I have a shooting outing planned for the 19th with a good friend. You need to smell burnt gunpowder every now and then, it's smell will bring back happy memories.

• Like 3

We had a good turn out for our weekly handgun match. Basically, each person shoots against himself. Everybody there is retired. We had a visitor, a young guy, that came today. He spoke of bargains in store bought cartridges and the dis-economy of reloading. Nobody said anything.  He was speaking of Black Rifles and 9mm self-loaders.

I think shooting as I knew is going the way of the dinosaurs. I'm getting back up to speed getting rifles fixed and making up handloads. I'll need to cast some 38 wadcutters. Also, the hunt is one for .264 bullets. That old Clark Custom K-38 and  can keep up with the self-loaders in our relaxed  Bullseye Match. I'm reversing Burnout as we speak.

• Like 1

Not being prepared for this mess is a real bummer.  It’s a wake up call for a lot of reloaders.  I don’t go to the range as often as I use to, but I still reload.  It gives me something to do while I sit on my backside at home.  I understand that I’ll never shoot what I have piled up, but once all the great nephews and such get the contents of my vaults (U.S. military weapons) they will have plenty of fodder to feed the firearms.  Too be honest, I enjoy reloading more than shooting.  

• Like 2

I am not shooting as much all the while trying to conserve my small stash. Didn't get caught this time and do have ammo on hand this time. Besides it is to hot today to get out and shoot outside. Just looked at the thermometer and it is 99 in the shade. Don't quit on  me now AC. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, pop pop said:

I am not shooting as much all the while trying to conserve my small stash. Didn't get caught this time and do have ammo on hand this time. Besides it is to hot today to get out and shoot outside. Just looked at the thermometer and it is 99 in the shade. Don't quit on  me now AC. 

To hot to shoot to hot to fish  shoot billards in a/c  wait till fall 🔫

• Like 2

Beltfed I too probably have more ammo than I will shoot up, but I am trying. My kids and grandkids will know what I have done with all the spare time when then look into the ammo cans!! To those that don't reload, it sure is comforting that if I decide to go shoot 500 or 1,000 rounds just go do it and come back and reload for the next outing. When I competed in USPSA pistol I would shoot no less than 500 rounds per week in practice and matches and I wouldn't have been able to afford it if not for reloading. Plus it is a great way to get by yourself and getting your mind right. If nothing else I remember of the Boy Scouts it was to be prepared. If you need a bandaid, I have one, if you need a tool, I have one, need a bullet I have some!!

• Like 1

I agree that the cost and stress of trying to source components is frustrating and has led me to drop my consumption.  I have a lot of components but I hate to eat into my supply if I can’t replenish.  I have a hard limit I’ve set where I will stop to guarantee a reserve.  I’m not there yet but I’m slowing everything so I won’t approach it as quickly.  

As an alternative, I have shifted to bolt action center fire shooting.  It allows me to shoot less while sharpening a different skill set.   When that hits the limit, I’ll do black powder for awhile.  

Meanwhile I am doing more reloading to refill my ammo cans.  Also, experimenting with powders I haven’t used before but that I have been able to source since this lunacy began.

Edited by ken_mays
  • Like 1

Listened to a podcast on "Buckeye Firearms Newsletter" and they said the reason for limited ammo is in 2020 there were 8 and 1/2 million new gun owners that purchased their first gun and just to allow one 50 round box of ammo per new purchaser, it took all the extra ammo in stock to supply them let alone us who have been purchasing all along.  The prices asked today is because of supply and demand. Supply has increased, a little, but ammo is still at a premium in price and slowly beginning to come down. Said it may be 18 more months before supply catches up with demand. 

My small stash is sufficient, but I have slowed my consumption in order to conserve what little I have.  

• Like 1