HD shotgun..round in chamber or no?

I have been keeping my HD shotgun loaded with a full tube and a round in the chamber with the safety on. After reading a few articles about why that is a bad idea, I decided to keep the tube full, hammer down with the safety on.
Does anyone on here keep their HD shotguns with a round in the chamber? Since a shotgun doesn't have a drop safety, I guess the fear of an AD if the gun were dropped and having 00 buckshot tearing through something I don't want it to made me reconsider my strategy.

• Like 2

Full tube, chamber empty, safety off, slide unlocked. I am not really concerned with the loss of the +1 if I need more than 7 rounds of 00 buck shtuff has seriously gone sideways. Hopefully I would already be trying to make my way to the handgun loaded with 17+1 of +P or the AR with 30 rounds of 300 AAC. 

• 7 months later...
On 8/10/2021 at 9:38 PM, Snaveba said:

I think the scariest sound for an intruder is the sound of a pump shotgun racking. You don’t get that if there is already one in the chamber.  

Id prefer for them to not hear anything at all.  

3 hours ago, Gunner4570 said:

I keep cruiser ready but down loaded one.   Hope this reduces spring strain.   Any comments on spring wear? 

Springs generally fatigue from cyclic use.  Steady state on a properly made spring should not have an effect unless we are talking extreme long term. 

I want ta verify one in the chamber.  If I purposely leave the chamber empty, I know what to do.  Pistols... The complete opposite... Loaded n ready at the git-go.  It's the first thing I reach for.  

leroy...

• Like 1
  • 5 months later...
On 3/18/2022 at 10:30 AM, leroy said:

I want ta verify one in the chamber.  If I purposely leave the chamber empty, I know what to do.  Pistols... The complete opposite... Loaded n ready at the git-go.  It's the first thing I reach for.  

leroy...

All in. If you are not ready to fire, how long till you need to?

1 hour ago, Pelican said:

All in. If you are not ready to fire, how long till you need to?

The shotgun ain't the first tool I reach for.  I grew up with pistolas.  That said, my BPS is quick loading.   If I need the shotgun, they have treed me...

leroy...

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, THA KERNALLL said:

I keep all my weapons fully loaded. That being said, I have an AKM for home defense. Racking your shotgun during a home invasion is a stupid thing to do. Also, burglars don't hunt alone. Use an AR or other rifle instead of a shotgun for home defense. 

You’ve never really run a shotgun, have you?   This is where the scattergun shines.  

I have run a shotgun. I also know trusting my family's life to just 6 shells is a not smart. 30 rounds of 7.62 is a lot better for home defense. This is coming from who has had his home broken into before. There were 7 total who robbed me. 

Edited by THA KERNALLL
On 8/10/2021 at 9:38 PM, Snaveba said:

I think the scariest sound for an intruder is the sound of a pump shotgun racking. You don’t get that if there is already one in the chamber.  

Old post, but that works out bad if they empty their wepon in response to the sound. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

As many have said..."cruiser ready" is by far recommended by the leading shotgun instructors.  Shotguns are not drop safe like most modern pistols.  Full magazine, trigger tripped so that slide is unlocked, safety off.  A quick rack of the slide and fully ready to deliver rounds down range.  Big advantage of shotgun is generally only one serving per bad guy is sufficient.

• Like 2