Hawkins School District in Church Hill, TN on Lock Down

https://www.foxnews.com/us/volunteer-high-school-tennessee-lockdown

A Tennessee high school says it’s evacuating students to a local National Guard Armory amid reports of a person with a gun on campus. 

Officials with the Hawkins County Sheriff’s Office told WVLT that Volunteer High School – west of Kingsport – was placed on lockdown around 8 a.m. this morning after police received reports of a person there carrying a firearm. 

"There has been an emergency situation at Volunteer High School," Hawkins County Schools said in a statement. "Our major concern at this time is for the safety of our students and staff; please stay clear of the area to allow law enforcement and emergency personnel access to the area." 

Reports state is was a call of an active shooter, but nothing was found.  They should be giving an all clear soon if not already.

https://www.wate.com/news/top-stories/dispatch-police-responding-to-situation-at-volunteer-high-school/

Sheriff’s Office: No suspect found or injuries reported after active shooter call at Volunteer High

Edited by Omega
Add link
  • Confused 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Is this a modern day version of the bomb threats we had? Somebody would call one in and we’d head to the lake. Never happened on a rainy day.

Do we need to ask just how you know this?

57 minutes ago, RED333 said:

Do we need to ask just how you know this?

I never initiated it, but gladly took advantage. 

I assumed this happened everywhere. Ya’ll never had a bomb threat on a sunny Friday about lunchtime?

Edited by gregintenn

Never had a bomb threat, could count the hunting rifles hanging in truck window racks during hunting season, and saw multiple handguns in classrooms over the years. No school shootings, no death threats, no PTSD,  emotional support gerbils, etc. And the only deaths outside of class were auto related accidents and health related. 

• Like 5
7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Is this a modern day version of the bomb threats we had? Somebody would call one in and we’d head to the lake. Never happened on a rainy day.

5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I never initiated it, but gladly took advantage. 

I assumed this happened everywhere. Ya’ll never had a bomb threat on a sunny Friday about lunchtime?

During my tenure as a teacher, we had 4 or 5 bomb threats.  Best I remember, all occurred on Fridays, and all were called in roughly around lunch.  At least 2 of them were later found to have been made by a former student, working in a job where he got off at noon each Friday, who's current girlfriend was still in high school ...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Old-timey bomb threats seem to come with every new school year.  It was always dumb as hell but in the past most knew is was nothing and resulted in basically a fire drill.

Sounds like this was a swatting incident.  An active shooter report was called in from what I understand.  This is way beyond trying to get a day off.  It’s downright dangerous in this day and age.

Someone had a “seizure” of some kind on site that was “unrelated”.

I’d hate to be a parent of one of those kids.

• Like 1

I remember getting bomb threats as a little first grader at Boones Creek, in Washington County, back in 1969.  We even had them when I was in High School and later on during Finals at UT.  Those were funny, because the University would evacuate the building wait for the deadline to go by and then send everyone right back in.  They never bothered searching the building. 

When I was in school lots of kids had shotguns or rifles in vehicles. As far as bombs go, one kid in my class, made a little bomb and set it off in a locker. Just a shotgun shell with powder from 4 more shells and a fuse, sealed with glue. Made a nice kaboom.