No guns at county fairgrounds?

I went to a rodeo at the Sevier County fairgrounds last week.聽 They had a large sign stating that no weapons were allowed, violators will be prosecuted.

If I am reading it correctly, TN Code 39-17-1359(g) says that local governments can prohibit guns on their property, however, unless the property falls under the category of a sensitive area where concealed carry is already prohibited under other sections of the law, posting it requires that they provide metal detectors and personnel to check everyone entering.

Since no security screening was provided, are the signs legally binding?

1 hour ago, JN01 said:

I went to a rodeo at the Sevier County fairgrounds last week.聽 They had a large sign stating that no weapons were allowed, violators will be prosecuted.

If I am reading it correctly, TN Code 39-17-1359(g) says that local governments can prohibit guns on their property, however, unless the property falls under the category of a sensitive area where concealed carry is already prohibited under other sections of the law, posting it requires that they provide metal detectors and personnel to check everyone entering.

Since no security screening was provided, are the signs legally binding?

Never saw them before but I haven't been since late 2019. Probably a CYA by the city to be honest. Soaky Mountain down the street has turned into a regular bar scene anyway and they did just have one woman shot and killed by another so their butts are probably puckering right now. Sevier County likes that cash flow and doesn't let much stand in its way, morals and ethics included. All I'll say is given the current climate they'd have to have wand screening like the old songbird has started before I'd consider changing my EDC habits.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 3:17 PM, JN01 said:

posting it requires that they provide metal detectors and personnel to check everyone entering.

Is this by county ordinance? It's not state law, is it?

Was the sign accompanied by the correct & legal language as set forth by TN law? If not, then it's not a valid prohibition. Of course you're not going to win the argument with a Karen (male or female) while at the door.聽

A small J-frame is the perfect answer for situations like this, IMO.聽

Edited by bobsguns
none

The requirement is the聽state law referenced in my OP. It refers to government property which is not covered by other sections of the law such as schools, courtrooms, etc.

I still haven鈥檛 found out if the fairgrounds is owned by the county or privately, which would make a difference.

14 hours ago, JN01 said:

The requirement is the聽state law referenced in my OP. It refers to government property which is not covered by other sections of the law such as schools, courtrooms, etc.

I still haven鈥檛 found out if the fairgrounds is owned by the county or privately, which would make a difference.

Most fairgrounds are owned by the city or county in my experience. If it's privately owned, it's often referred to as an "expo" of some sort. Lebanon would be an exception for that but Knoxville would be a good example.聽

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/10/2021 at 4:40 PM, gary_boom said:

I don鈥檛 know about Sevier Co fairgrounds but Appalachian Fairgrounds in Gray Tn. Is privately owned. They regularly have gun shows.

Dickson County Fairgrounds are privately operated. I think the county may own the property, but it is kept up and operated by the American Legion.

22 hours ago, chances R said:

According to the law, privately operated does not trump the ownership by the county.

Just looked it up on Property Viewer, some of the fairgrounds property is owned by the American Legion and some owned by the Dickson County Fair Association.

It鈥檚 a moot point however, because there are no restrictions to carrying at the Dickson County Fair.聽聽

2 hours ago, DWARREN123 said:

Don't tell and don't ask. CYA type stuff.

Not at a gun show, IMO. Too many idiots get the urge to show their roscoe & yank it out. Too often a ND is the result. Nor do *I* want a loaded gun being waved around a public bldg.聽

Flea market, that sort of thing, I don't care.聽

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...