Bug out bags

I've been toying with the idea of putting together a bug out bag. I'm not very familiar with what all would need to be in the bag except maybe a first aid kit, water and some non-perishable food among other things. I've read some about the "72 hour" bags. I think I would rather put my own together instead of buying one prepackaged.. I was looking a the Red Rock assault pack as a starting point. I like the fact that it isn't very expensive and can hold a hydratuon bladder. I've looked at some other brands but they are quite pricey. Any suggestions on brands of bags that won't break the bank and the essentials to keep in one? Thanks.

What to put in depends on what your intended use is? To a certain extent the contents are generic, but fine tuning it depends on what you are figuring on needing it for?

Is this a 'get home from work bag'? You work in a city, live 17 miles outside... or whatever? You'll find certain things useful in that situation.

Is this a 'bugging out to my secret cabin in the woods' bag? Do you have cache sites along the way, how far are you going, how many people?

Back in my life in the great-white-north a lot of folks kept a 24-hour pack in their car, they sold them at stores for 30 bucks, assumed you were stuck in a ditch in the snow until daybreak... emergency blanket, some granola bars and peanut butter, bottled water, hand-warmers, simple med-kit. Saved quite a few lives no doubt.

• Like 1

As a guy who has had a couple bad days, I'd suggest any "bad day" kit should focus on stuff for a long walk. 

1 - for feet: Comfortable shoes, several pair of socks, moleskin, duct tape, foot powder, extra shoelaces.  

2 - hydration:  containers w/ at least 3 quarts of water, filter or iodine for more.  

3 - clothing: season-appropriate outfit for long walk outdoors, hat, sunblock, and bug spray.  

4 - medicine: stuff to treat pain, diarrhea, fatigue, and itching, also a minimal first aid kit and chap stick.  

5 - general: TP. Flashlight. Radio. Rope or cord.  Multi tool.  Map of your area. Compass.  Protractor. Money.  Some food.

An inexpensive general issue assault pack or backpack will normally hold this stuff.

• Like 7

Make sure not to weigh it down with non essential items. When you get it all together, strap it on and walk a couple of miles and then decide if it is too heavy. A firearm and extra mags or ammo wasn't listed, but of course you are on a gun forum, but let us not assume anything. Any decent pack that is comfortable and will hold what you need will work. A lot depends on if you are bugging out from home for good to a better location or if you are trying to get home. If you are truly bugging out, I would opt for some type of vehicle, even a good sturdy bicycle is better than hoofing it very far.

• Like 2

One consideration in the bug out scenario you favor that's frequently missed is "what is waiting for you at your destination?"  Do you have what you need stored there?  Do you need to supply it with your arrival?  Tools?  Food, water treatment and storage, spare clothing, etc?  

Your pack can be minimized if you've pre-positioned supplies at your destination and can then be treated more like a "Get Home Bag" than a pack which needs to sustain you for the rest of time.  If you don't have a destination and plan on living off the land then you'll obviously need more stuff.  

• Like 1
  • Administrator
On 8/15/2021 at 8:46 PM, Wheelgunner said:

As a guy who has had a couple bad days, I'd suggest any "bad day" kit should focus on stuff for a long walk. 

1 - for feet: Comfortable shoes, several pair of socks, moleskin, duct tape, foot powder, extra shoelaces.  

2 - hydration:  containers w/ at least 3 quarts of water, filter or iodine for more.  

3 - clothing: season-appropriate outfit for long walk outdoors, hat, sunblock, and bug spray.  

4 - medicine: stuff to treat pain, diarrhea, fatigue, and itching, also a minimal first aid kit and chap stick.  

5 - general: TP. Flashlight. Radio. Rope or cord.  Multi tool.  Map of your area. Compass.  Protractor. Money.  Some food.

An inexpensive general issue assault pack or backpack will normally hold this stuff.

^^^ People do not need to skip ahead without taking stock of this post.  It is the most practical thing I've seen written on the topic lately.

• Like 4

What I have is a "Get Home" bag. Its designed to get me back home if I'm caught out somewhere when SHTF. Pistol, ammo, Knife, socks, 4 MREs that I can stretch for up to a week or more,  two canteens plus a life straw, first aid kit, poncho, paracord,  lighters  and the all important toilet paper. There is also a blanket wrapped in a piece of plastic for shelter. But that may be dumped depending on weather and need. The whole kit fits inside a small backpack. 

Zip lock bags are excellent for keeping small items together and they're waterproof. 

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 3

I have been thinking about and making kits and bags since I was a kid during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  When they placed those hawk missile units just down the street from my house it definitely got me thinking.

I agree with all of the above ⬆️.  I like to have some redundancy in my kits. More than one way to make fire, purify water etc.  Map  and compass. 

Paper maps and lately I been adding digital as well. 

https://www.avenzamaps.com/  this is a link to a nice digital map app that uses gps on your phone or tablet no cell signal required.  A ton of free maps available.  

Oh, I know electric devices require charging. If you are bugging out with a vehicle that’s covered, if not there are solar chargers.  But definitely it’s just another layer, you need to have paper maps as primary. 

Edited by TennesseeCamper

I work 34 miles from where I live. My "get to safe place" bag is a bit different. Between work and home there could be different destinations of safe places as I know others who live in between work and home but it's made to get home. 

By highway it's 34 miles, in a straight line my calculations bring that down to 26 miles. Though that is across various terrain with varying obstacles, which is the better choice will depend on what exactly is happening to put me in a situation to have to decide and use what I have. Say an EMP, now my vehicle is useless, time to walk BUT will or do I NEED to get home or can I crash at a friend's house for a few days till things chill out. Over 1000 senerios but one main goal, stay alive and figure things out as I can.

Back to my bag:

My bag is packed for a 5 day light camping trip and it changes with the seasons. Why 5 days, cause it could take 5 days to get home if thats my final destination. Basics like food/water, first aid/medical, proper clothing, shelter equipment, fire equipment, various lights it's all the normal stuff everyone should have but the main thing people seem to forget is knowledge.

Knowledge of your city or area to figure out where water is or where u could shelter. Places to avoid. Knowledge of proper use of your equipment. Knowledge skinning various small game animals for extra food. Knowledge of plants/bugs both helpful or hurtful in your region. How to find/build or sustain shelter. No matter your game plan or how long your "bag" is packed for, a curve ball can ruin your chances of returning home or getting to your destination. Being prepared with a pack is one thing, knowing it may not last is where your knowledge will be the most valuable. 

Tons of information on the interwebz so research and soak up that knowledge. Possibly even test it out....

Mine used to be a bag full of outdoor woods stuff, but it's mostly just transitioned to a bag capable of living out of for an unexpected trip (non outdoor oriented) for a few days. It does have a few items still but they're mostly relegated to a small pouch. I do still have a different daypack for hiking in case of an unexpected overnighter on the trail but it's a different focus.

I would say take a hard look at ultralight hikers, check out their forums and groups on FB and see if there's anything useful you might be able to incorporate into your own planning. These people crush miles... for fun.  My pack isn't ultralight, but by incorporating some of the lessons learned I've been able to lighten the essentials enough that I can bring other things I want (such as firearm, solar panels, etc) and still be light enough to enjoy the trip - or if it's serious, at least not gas myself hiking a few miles.

Edited by Refleks
  • Like 1

Not really well prepared on this front at the moment. I was keeping boots and change of clothing in a bag for a long time, but seem to have moved it out.

Just a thought from an old geezer, keep a few days/week supply of any meds you might take on a daily basis. And remember to change them out about every month to keep them fresh and viable for use.

• Like 4

When we were up North we kept a metal coffee can in each car with some long burning candles, hand warmers, granola bars space blanket and a lighter to get us through a night in a snow bank if we ran off the road. Don't do any prep now that we are retired for getting out but keep lots to stay put for a month or so if need be.

• Like 2
12 minutes ago, Jeb48 said:

When we were up North we kept a metal coffee can in each car with some long burning candles, hand warmers, granola bars space blanket and a lighter to get us through a night in a snow bank if we ran off the road. Don't do any prep now that we are retired for getting out but keep lots to stay put for a month or so if need be.

That's some good item info Jeb48. I like the idea of those long burning candles. I intend to add some LifeBoat/Survival Rations packs as well. 

I've eaten a few of them and they are decent to good, and the newer ones say they don't make you as thirsty.