A challenge

Without a bucket truck, crane, or climbing gear that's going to be a tough one.  If you can get to it, a cut 3/8 the way through from the bottom, then cut from the top about 6" closer to the trunk should put it on the ground without pinching the blade. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It’s larger than it appears. A tree service might be cheaper.

That may be true.  When I did it, Norinco x39 was $100/case and the limb was smaller.  But steel core x39 will assassinate a tree.  I downed a 6” limb with one magazine.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

The best recommendation I've ever heard regarding poison ivy is to treat it like it's axle grease.  Scrubbing with soap and friction will get it off.  There are great enzyme products that neutralize it.

That said, without a full tyvek suit - I don't think I'd touch it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm having some work done this year by a local tree company. There are some jobs that should be left to professionals.  Do you have any other tree work you need done? Might be a great time to get it all done at once while the crew is there. 

• Like 2

Put a snatch strap around the end near the ground (or a winch cable ) and pull perpendicular to the direction it is pointing. As long as that branch is, (with the damage from the partial break) the leverage at the trunk might be enough to rip it off. 

Just now, Snaveba said:

Put a snatch strap around the end near the ground (or a winch cable ) and pull perpendicular to the direction it is pointing. As long as that branch is, (with the damage from the partial break) the leverage at the trunk might be enough to rip it off. 

As I said, the pictures don't do it justice. This is a very, very large limb. Larger than the average tree. There might even be a log in it.

If the ivy grows up the trunk cut it first around the base. That way even if you get someome else, it hopefully is a less itchy job.

Since we are talking itchly things. Looks like crotch rot is what caused that limb to come down.

If I was doing it myself, I would suspend the trunk end from one of the limbs above it with the other end hooked to a truck hitch before I started cutting. Basically, though, if you question whether you can do it safely, hire someone.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, Ronald_55 said:

If the ivy grows up the trunk cut it first around the base. That way even if you get someome else, it hopefully is a less itchy job.

Since we are talking itchly things. Looks like crotch rot is what caused that limb to come down.

If I was doing it myself, I would suspend the trunk end from one of the limbs above it with the other end hooked to a truck hitch before I started cutting. Basically, though, if you question whether you can do it safely, hire someone.

Got a guy coming this evening to give an estimate. I'm not a smart man, but I see too much downside and little upside in tackling this project myself.

The tree is right on the property line. I'm not going to ask my neighbor to help pay, but would it be reasonable to let him help with the cost if he offers?

• Like 1

I am a DIY guy as well but one thing I don't mess with is heights with a chainsaw.

Just had three 40' to 50' trees taken down. One dead, one damaged, and one in good health but poorly structured due to overcrowding. They were old tree line trees separating fields. The tree line had been thinned out but not before these trees were left in poor condition. I paid $2000 and that included stump grinding. The showed at 7:30 am and were gone just after lunch. They left not a single branch or leaf. Both my house and my neighbors house are fully intact and no one lost a digit or limb. 

Well worth the cost to bring in the pros to me. 

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

If he offers, I can’t see it hurting to accept the help. 

as to snatching it, you four also attach a line in the middle, where the top of the “arch” is and try pulling there which might have a rotational effect on the joint at the tree. I agree if looks like quite the big branch. 

for scale, how high off the ground is the joint where the branch connects to the tree?

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

If he offers, I can’t see it hurting to accept the help. 

as to snatching it, you four also attach a line in the middle, where the top of the “arch” is and try pulling there which might have a rotational effect on the joint at the tree. I agree if looks like quite the big branch. 

for scale, how high off the ground is the joint where the branch connects to the tree?

About 12’.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Any advice for the poison ivy? It almost completely covers the limb. I’m a do it myself kind of guy, but this might require a professional who isn’t allergic to that dreaded vine of misery.🙂

They do sell Poison Ivy killer at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's worked for me, but I also chop the base of the ivy with a axe/hatchet/machete if I can get to it cleanly.