Recommendations for basic training in Middle Tennessee

I have 2-3 acquaintances who are looking for basic firearms training and I'm trying to point them in the right direction.  Looking for basic as in never handled a gun before and looking to get a carry permit, but would like to become proficient and maybe even get some advanced training as well after the basic training is completed.  Anyone had outstanding instruction that they can recommend in the Nashville area?  

I do not know what area your acquaintances are in or are willing to travel to but I was very pleased with the trainer that works at the Franklin Armory. He is not former military and does not approach his training as if he was trying to turn folks into an "Operator". He was a professional educator/trainer who had a passion for firearms safety, training, and education so he approaches his work a bit differently than I was used to, in a good way.

Average civilian folks getting a EHCP do not need run and gun military, LEO, or competition style training in my opinion.
When I took my EHCP class there the class size was small (10 if I recall) and the experience level was low to moderately high but all were handled efficiently, respectfully, and most importantly safely. He also stuck to the focus and never went or let the class discussion wander in to the weeds with tall tales or anecdotes.  

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Like 2
9 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

Average civilian folks getting a EHCP do not need run and gun military, LEO, or competition style training in my opinion.

Civilians, military, LEO, or competitors all start with a solid foundation of essential skills which take consideralby more time than what a ECP course requires. I wish someone would tell me just what level of training is necessary when the bad guy picks the time and place.  Sure would simplify things, especially when my life or that of a loved one is on the line.  Training is a process, not an endpoint.

• Like 5
13 hours ago, chances R said:

Civilians, military, LEO, or competitors all start with a solid foundation of essential skills which take consideralby more time than what a ECP course requires.

Exactly this. In 30 years, we didn't do a bunch of "run and gun". Focused on surviving a confrontation and getting back home. Likely a skill everyone could use.

13 hours ago, ac3boyz said:

Plus one on Agape in my opinion. A little biased perhaps since I worked with Ken. He is a straight up guy. 

• Like 1
On 8/17/2021 at 8:11 PM, chances R said:

Civilians, military, LEO, or competitors all start with a solid foundation of essential skills which take consideralby more time than what a ECP course requires. I wish someone would tell me just what level of training is necessary when the bad guy picks the time and place.  Sure would simplify things, especially when my life or that of a loved one is on the line.  Training is a process, not an endpoint.

I think that was sort of my point. Guess it was lost in communication. The instructor I was referring to did an excellent job sticking to the fundamentals of safe handling, grip, and stable stance. Using those as tools for recoil management/control. Also Trigger control fundamentals for consistency and accuracy. Along with sight picture and sight alignment. The class I took from him after the EHCP class was similar in focus but went a bit a bit deeper into the specifics of handling and manipulating the weapon that was the focus of the training. 

I have heard many a story and personally witnessed instructors in so called training classes skip over many of the above basics and treat the class as if everyone was about to don a plate carrier, kick in the spare bedroom door, and clear the room because they heard something go bump in the night. 

Agape Tactical

They have a broad range of training classes. Instructor has former SWAT experience and offers great instruction for various skill levels. 

I'll copy/paste my Google review..

I took the Tactical Handgun course with Agape Tactical as part of a group training session. None of our group were novices. Given the experience of the instructors, they picked up on that fact quickly, so they sped up the training to suit our skill levels.  That said, they did not skimp on the safety and basics at the beginning of the session - they ensured that we all had a great level-set and knew how to be safe!

I took a Saturday class and we trained all day (brought our lunch for a quick break). I had a great experience and I learned a lot, even though I grew up around firearms. I received so much value from the class and would highly recommend their services to anyone wanting to learn more defense- and fighting-oriented handgun skills.