Importation of ammo may stop.

12 minutes ago, Garufa said:

I have a feeling Russian 7.62x39 will soon cost as much as 30 year old Chinese if not more, and it’s half the the quality of Norinco.

I wonder if there are any non-Russian sources for 5.45x39?

Hornady shows they make it here in the USA if you can afford it and find it in stock

6 minutes ago, Grayfox54 said:

Just be patient guys. The Russians will just ship ammo in bulk to some other country, who in turn will repackage it under a different name and ship it to the U.S. It'll be back before you know it. 😉

Ammunition is packaged stating the origin of manufacture.  Each round is also clearly stamped as to origin.  

We’d be awash in repackaged Chinese ammo otherwise.  

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Quavodus said:

I can't get over the price of .22 LR. At least what I'm finding anyway. $10.00 to $11.00 for 50 rd. box. I didn't buy any.

Yup crazy prices for .22.  Glad I bought it a while back when panic buying was cheap. 

Wow that Tula went fast!  Ain’t none nowhere’s now!

Edited by TennesseeCamper
  • Like 1
21 hours ago, FUJIMO said:

That would have been last Friday....least for me it was 🤣

Good on ya for getting on it.

I haven't really been following forums for a few days so they caught me with my pants down. I was all jazzed to see how quick Bernaul in Wolf packaging was dropping last month and thought I'd wait a bit to when it dipped under $300. Snoozed....and lost big time!! $550 for bottom of the barrel Tula where you can get it as of now.

7 guns that shoot that round and only 2 cases of ammo. That math makes me sad 😞

• Like 1

Here is SGAMMO’s opinion from today’s email blast.  Take it as you will.

“There has been a lot of people asking me about the sanctions on Russian ammo imports put in place by the US state department this past week and what it means for the future of ammunition supplies. There will be more clarity in several weeks when we can see the publication of a Federal Register notice expected on September 7, 2021. The state department announcement can be seen at this page - https://www.state.gov/fact-sheet-united-states-imposes-additional-costs-on-russia-for-the-poisoning-of-aleksey-navalny/

My Russian Ammo Sanction Opinion - First, I hope you don't 'shoot the messenger' and I'd like to pat everyone on the back and tell them things are going to be okay but that wouldn't be truthful. In my opinion the sanctions are a major game-changer in the ammunition supply chain that is already strained. For the time being and based on what we can see so far, we believe that this will be the effective end of Russian made ammo in the USA as it plays out over the next year or so as import permits expire or are filled to the quantity limits, and in doing so eliminate supply of a huge portion of the ammo in the US commercial market. From what I understand, the USA commercial market consumes around 800,000,000 rounds of ammunition from Russia every year, roughly 800 semi truck trailers worth in a mix of the most popular calibers. For the immediate short term we expect ammo to keep coming in from Russia but I expect the importers to raise prices substantially which is understandable to me given its the end of the lifespan for their business model. The calibers we believe will be most effected are soviet metric calibers like 7.62x39, 5.45x39, and 7.62x54R because there is almost zero available manufacturing capacity for these calibers outside of Russia and what little exists will not make a significant impact in filling the needs of the USA commercial market without Russian ammo absorbing the lion's share. In addition to these calibers, I estimate that the Russians supplied 30% to 40% of the 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger consumed at the shooting ranges across this country, and large portions of the 45 auto, 9x18 Makarov, 30 carbine, 308 Winchester / 762x51, 380 Auto, 300 Blackout and 6.5 Grendel. I see this as a potentially devastating blow to the supply for of 223 Rem / 5.56 and 9mm Luger, where the reduction in supply from Russia will be difficult to make up in the short term for other manufacturers who have already been unable to keep up with demand this past year. Consumers who have used Russian ammo regularly will have to move on from Russian made ammo to those other products made elsewhere and in doing so absorb the supply and prolong recent shortages. Again this is my opinion, based on my knowledge of the industry after 20+ years experience, and how things play out over time could be different. For me, selling Russian made ammo is about 40% of my business, and while we plan to source as much supply as we can from other sources, we do expect this to have a major negative impact on supply for 7.62x39, 7.62x54R, 5.45x39, 9mm Makarov, 9mm Luger, 223 Rem / 5.56 NATO, as well as the other mentioned calibers.”

• Like 1
  • Sad 3
  • Thanks 2

Sam is a good guy, and I trust his assessment. The previous D administration taught me a lot, so I'm lucky in that respect. I will say, however, that it looks like reloading will be king now, unless folks are late to the boat in that respect.

• Like 2
On 8/20/2021 at 8:33 PM, Chucktshoes said:

Just so we’re all on the same page here, nobody is buying that the sanctions have anything to do with whatever the pretext is, right? We all understand that it was about the supply of these items into the US civilian hands that was the issue, right?

If you cant get the votes in Congress to take the guns....turn them into paper weights. Check!

Meanwhile, you are suppose to pretend that waiving the sanctions against the Russian gas pipe line earlier in the month was not contradictory.  

All this on the heels of using the Mexican Govt as shills to sue US gun manufacturers....in the hope you believe it was actually Mexico's idea. Because they are just now figuring out that Cartels are a problem. 

This is the kind of stuff that makes me stay off the internet for stretches.

• Like 3
On 8/25/2021 at 8:33 PM, superduty said:

Sam is a good guy, and I trust his assessment. The previous D administration taught me a lot, so I'm lucky in that respect. I will say, however, that it looks like reloading will be king now, unless folks are late to the boat in that respect.

Try and find 7.62x39 brass.

• Like 2

It was beginning to look as if the current shortage/panic was easing up some.  Although the outright ban won't take effect until the current import licenses expire at least a year from now, this new wrinkle is quite likely to extend the shortages and price increases fro the foreseeable future.  Just another reason why "hoarding" is the way to go ...

On 8/27/2021 at 11:45 AM, superduty said:

Right, but this goes far beyond x39.

So far I saw internet YouTube’r claiming primer shortage will be affected. I can remember when I purchased primers not made in USA.  I assume wolf brand is one but don’t see who else JSC makes primers for. 

the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy taught a me a few things. Two that apply on this forum are:

1. Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with

2. DON’T PANIC 🙀 

• Like 1
On 8/26/2021 at 10:47 PM, hipower said:

What you think of the Sterling brand that's been showing up? Turkish I believe. Started to order some and hesitated on it.

I'm seeing more and more Turkish ammunition flooding into the U.S. If it's comparable to the quality of their firearms, then I think it will be good stuff.  I have two Turkish made pistols and am very impressed with both of them!  Their prices are starting to go up too, as more people find out about them.  My next purchase will likely be a Beretta 92 knock-off they make.

I suspect that this will be the new supply for those former Soviet Calibers everyone is really worried about.  The Turks would be foolish not to jump all over this, as would the American companies that have ignored this for so long.  

• Like 1
18 hours ago, ohell said:

So far I saw internet YouTube’r claiming primer shortage will be affected. I can remember when I purchased primers not made in USA.  I assume wolf brand is one but don’t see who else JSC makes primers for. 

the hitchhikers guide to the galaxy taught a me a few things. Two that apply on this forum are:

1. Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with

2. DON’T PANIC 🙀 

Arthur Dent would be proud.

• 1 month later...