Tennessee flooding

37 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

Wow! My son and I were in Cookeville today taking a motorcycle class so he can get his license. Never rained a drop there or here in Macon County.

You gotta go all the way to Cookeville for a motorcycle class? There's nothing closer for you?

• Admin Team

To put it in perspective, the TVA rainfall gauge at McKewen in Humphreys County recorded 16.99” of rain in the previous 24 hours.

The previous state record was 9.45” recorded in Franklin on May 1, 2010 during the flood. 

My wife and I drove over to Murfreesboro yesterday afternoon and spent the night. We hit Murfreesboro, Franklin, Antioch, Madison and Goodletsville, before driving up to Ridgetop and Adams. It rained on us most of the morning, before clearing off.  Later it started clouding back up in Goodletsville and it was raining as we left Ridgetop. After we left Adams, and got on I-24 to drive back to Knoxville, it poured all the way to North Nashville. Traffic on I-24 was down to 50 MPH or so in several places.  We drove in rain until past Lebanon, with sprinkles here and there, past Crossville.

Could TVA not release enough water through some dams to off-set all that rain? Or is this another example of bureaucracy in its finest like the Nashville flood of 2010?

This isn't the first time Waverly has been flooded, they have a long history of that. One would hope that folks wouldn't live that close to the river(s) to avoid that sort of thing. 

Sad.

12 hours ago, MacGyver said:

The previous state record was 9.45” recorded in Franklin on May 1, 2010 during the flood. 

Doesn't sound like much in comparison, but the issue in the 2010 flood was all the western rivers & lakes had already reached capacity when the rain hit the Mid State area. The water had no where to go, so it backed up. I was working the Opryland Hotel that day & we evac'd guests at 2am to McGavock high school. I stood on the first floor in the Delta section (closest to the river) & saw water 3' (yes, feet) above the room window sills. It was surreal to say the least. 

It also rained for like 3 days straight non-stop. 

Of course, none of this negates the suffering of those poor folks in Humphries Co. 

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

I dunno. These folks were recommended and I would recommend them as well.

Good luck and be careful. I stopped riding bikes in 2001. I've worked a bunch of crashes with bikes to the point where I was looking more rearward than forward when I was riding to keep from getting rear-ended. Look out for cars , loose gravel from driveways , and animals. 

• Like 4
14 hours ago, tercel89 said:

Good luck and be careful. I stopped riding bikes in 2001. I've worked a bunch of crashes with bikes to the point where I was looking more rearward than forward when I was riding to keep from getting rear-ended. Look out for cars , loose gravel from driveways , and animals. 

All good advice.

One thing I do to help myself is wear one of those construction worker reflective vests. Bright yellow, so it's easily seen & stands out. I got mine @ Greene's Military & Police in Donelson, TN. 

I never get on my bike w/o that vest being on!

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

All good advice.

One thing I do to help myself is wear one of those construction worker reflective vests. Bright yellow, so it's easily seen & stands out. I got mine @ Greene's Military & Police in Donelson, TN. 

I never get on my bike w/o that vest being on!

I agree with the vest all the way ! When I got my Honda 4 wheeler , I chose yellow since I would ride it a lot at Turkey bay in Land Between The Lakes. If you've ever been there you definitly want to be visible. 

This was truly a horrific occurrence!  I believe this set a state record for the amount of rainfall to occur in Tennessee in a 24 hour period.

Increases in extreme weather events have long been predicted to accompany climate change, simply because warmer atmosphere holds more water vapor and has more energy.  If these predictions are accurate, then folks and communities  along floodplains may need to re-evaluate their risks and emergency plans.

1 hour ago, res308 said:

I worked over there Monday and Tuesday. Going back tomorrow. So many hurting souls. 

I worked as a volunteer after the Nashville flood in 2010. Many folks lost almost everything they owned. Mill Creek became a roaring river in many areas of Antioch, flooding apartments as well as neighborhoods.

People were walking around in a daze, trying to wrap their minds around starting from scratch. Very, very few people had insurance, sadly. 

Buddy of mine lives in Humphries Co. He told me it wasn't the TN River that flooded but the creeks & so forth that got out of control. He sent me a pic of the water on his road, it's half way up his mailbox post. He said it flooded so fast most folks didn't realize that it was time to get the hell outta Dodge. Once they figured it out, in most cases it was too late.

I saw where they've recovered some bodies of the young children who drowned. I can't imagine what their parents are going through with all that. 

Unlike many folks in past floods elsewhere, the Humphries Co folks really didn't get much warning to evacuate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. 

• Sad 1

No, you're not wrong. My house flooded in 2010 and it was a slow rise. We watched the water coming closer for hours and took that time to move stuff upstairs and the cars uphill. These folks had it come up into their homes in a matter of minutes.

I plan to go down there Saturday and help out. I remember after 2010 that what we needed most were hands willing to work tearing out carpet, drywall, cabinets, insulation. These folks will have all of that to do plus the ruined possessions.

If you do go help anyone out and are cutting out drywall, you need to cut out to where it gets dry and the insulation behind it is dry. That stuff wicks water up. For me, that was about 18" above the high water line. If that's less than 4' up from the floor, cut at the 4' mark. A sheet of drywall will go sideways into that space and save a lot of time later from trying to cut drywall boards into narrower strips.

• Like 2