Tennessee flooding

10 hours ago, Refleks said:

Was down there for recovery operations Tuesday with our fire dept, it was amazing to see how many people came to donate and help.

Shouldn't be a surprise to we TN natives. We prove it time & time again. The Nashville flood was a perfect example of the community helping after a disaster. Tornado damage is another one. This is true for all over the South, IMO. 

• Like 1
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Who knows? Could be her, could be Dolly, could be a TN Titan, could be Hank, Jr? Who knows?

Ya’ll idolize her all you want, but Dolly gets credit for a whole lot of chit Dolly doesn’t do. She has the best PR team I’ve ever seen.

• Thanks 1
  • Dislike 1

Ya'll, I went over there today to help out. An old college friend pastors a church there now. I flooded in 2010 in Nashville. . . This is so much worse. Or maybe because I was so focused on my own house in 2010 that I didn't see the big picture then. Shoot....folks were cooking great lunches at the entrance to my neighborhood in 2010 and I didn't know about it until a month later. I was nothing but rear-end and elbows in my house from sunup to midnight for weeks. I know some people in Nashville had a lot of water flowing through their homes, but most of us experienced a slow rise and then fall. These people had a river dropped on them. Houses (real houses...not just mobile homes) lifted off the foundations and sent down the street before hitting something big enough to stop them. Masonry walls blown out the backside of homes and business and churches. Businesses the local community relies on for daily needs, wiped out. The cars stacked up, overturned, and rolled over. Independent local businesses, and thus livelihoods, destroyed alongside the homes of the people who run those businesses. It's hard to find someone who didn't know someone who lost their life in this mess. The whole town is incredibly heartbreaking.

They have a crap-ton of supplies. We laughed that they'll have enough bottled water to refill the city swimming pool and enough Huggies for the next 3 generations. What they need is what people always need after disasters . . . people with strong backs willing to get dirty.

If you have the ability and willingness to go, PM me and I can connect you with a local church there doing the dirty work.

Note that at this point, the water in some of these houses has been standing for a week+ of 90F+ weather. Nasty stuff is starting to grow in the ones that haven't been gutted. Please wear your masks, gloves, and eye-protection inside any home. If you can stand a full Tyvek suit in this heat, it wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't know how much longer they'll be there, but nurses were giving Tetanus and Hepatitis A&B vaccines today at the Waverly First Baptist Church. Get the tetanus shot for sure if you haven't had one in the last 10 years. Hep A&B should only be needed for folks who had contact with flood waters, but sewage backed up into many of these homes so it may not be a bad idea either.

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 4
20 minutes ago, monkeylizard said:

They have a crap-ton of supplies. We laughed that they'll have enough bottled water to refill the city swimming pool and enough Huggies for the next 3 generations. What they need is what people always need after disasters . . . people with strong backs willing to get dirty.

What about clothes? Can people send clothes to an address somewhere, a church perhaps? People have lost almost everything they own, they damn sure need things to wear.

11 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

Now that I'm not sure about. I'll find out. and post back.

I didn't see any nekkid people today. 🙂

I've got a #### ton of men's clothes that are (ahem) too small for me. Many of them still have the store tag on them, never been worn. Pants & shirts. 

For people whom have nothing now, it might make a difference between giving up or not, IMO. 

I also encourage others to donate dishes, shoes, anything they can. I've worked recovery efforts before & it's unreal the daily use items we take for granted until we no longer have them. 

• Like 5

Here's the response I received about clothing donations from my pastor friend:

We can't take them because we have no place to store them. The Baptist Church was taking them, but they stopped. I think the town is overflowing with clothing too. I know it sounds crass, but $ donations are the best way to help.

On 8/27/2021 at 7:25 PM, Garufa said:

Reckon it might be Loretta Lynn?  Hurricane Mills is just down the road from Waverly.

I worked with one of her grand daughters years and years ago.  We are still friends on fb and one of their decades long farm hands was killed in the flooding.

• Sad 1