Tennessee flooding

1 hour ago, bobsguns said:

I worked as a volunteer after the Nashville flood in 2010. Many folks lost almost everything they owned. Mill Creek became a roaring river in many areas of Antioch, flooding apartments as well as neighborhoods.

People were walking around in a daze, trying to wrap their minds around starting from scratch. Very, very few people had insurance, sadly. 

Buddy of mine lives in Humphries Co. He told me it wasn't the TN River that flooded but the creeks & so forth that got out of control. He sent me a pic of the water on his road, it's half way up his mailbox post. He said it flooded so fast most folks didn't realize that it was time to get the hell outta Dodge. Once they figured it out, in most cases it was too late.

I saw where they've recovered some bodies of the young children who drowned. I can't imagine what their parents are going through with all that. 

Unlike many folks in past floods elsewhere, the Humphries Co folks really didn't get much warning to evacuate. Someone correct me if I'm wrong there. 

The sheriff was on the news last night. He said you could see a “wall of water” coming down the street like a damn broke. Who’s prepared for that?

• Like 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

The sheriff was on the news last night. He said you could see a “wall of water” coming down the street like a damn broke. Who’s prepared for that?

No one. You probably don't remember Red Boiling Springs in 1969. Same situation. I was there with the Westmoreland CD, and others. Rough going.

Hartsville & Adolphus ,KY,also hit.

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 1
On 8/22/2021 at 5:49 PM, tercel89 said:

Good luck and be careful. I stopped riding bikes in 2001. I've worked a bunch of crashes with bikes to the point where I was looking more rearward than forward when I was riding to keep from getting rear-ended. Look out for cars , loose gravel from driveways , and animals. 

The numbers of Soldiers killed in motorcycle accidents each year is crazy.  Like you say frequently  (but not always) the rider isnt the problem but other drivers and the environment.

2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

No one. You probably don't remember Red Boiling Springs in 1969. Same situation. I was there with the Westmoreland CD, and others. Rough going.

Before my time, but I’ve seen pictures and heard stories. That was pretty much the end of RBS.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

I got a friend that's originally from Hermitage Springs but lives in Red Boiling Springs now. He can remember the 69 flood really good. He said big trees fell down from hill sides because the ground was washing away. There was a Chrysler dealership at the bottom of hill. Water got over some brand new cars.

39 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I got a friend that's originally from Hermitage Springs but lives in Red Boiling Springs now. He can remember the 69 flood really good. He said big trees fell down from hill sides because the ground was washing away. There was a Chrysler dealership at the bottom of hill. Water got over some brand new cars.

Several of those new Chrysler's got jammed under the bridge. We spent the night there. 3am somebody was firing shots on the hill. I bought my first pistol the next night. Outsiders driving thru during the nite.

Never forgot that experience.

• Like 2

Before my time, but I’ve seen pictures and heard stories. That was pretty much the end of RBS.

They had offers to build dams above to prevent flooding, but declined. Bad decision.

RBS was a nice resort town back in the day, hotels, mineral wells. Finally fizzled out.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

They had offers to build dams above to prevent flooding, but declined. Bad decision.

RBS was a nice resort town back in the day, hotels, mineral wells. Finally fizzled out.

I’ve read it was the top U.S. tourist destination around 1900 or so. That’s sure hard to imagine today.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

I’ve read it was the top U.S. tourist destination around 1900 or so. That’s sure hard to imagine today.

True. If I remember correctly, from what I've read & heard,  the mineral wells were  major attraction. They either dried up, or something happened to eventually end it over time.

That was before my time as well, LOL.

The old Donoho hotel is still in business. The have some good eating there.

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

True. If I remember correctly, from what I've read & heard,  the mineral wells were  major attraction. They either dried up, or something happened to eventually end it over time.

That was before my time as well, LOL.

The old Donoho hotel is still in business. The have some good eating there.

The wells were still there a several years back. I think TDEC or some environmental outfit made the city cap the wells. I expect the advance of modern medicine reduced the attraction to the thought od sulpher water curing most anything.

• Like 1

The wells were still there a several years back. I think TDEC or some environmental outfit made the city cap the wells. I expect the advance of modern medicine reduced the attraction to the thought od sulpher water curing most anything.

My ex MIL, used to go there & get jugs full of the stuff. Stunk like crap & didn't do anything for her disposition or looks. I think they did cap them at some point.She's now dead & buried. I doubt if grass grows over her grave.

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

RBS would've fizzled out eventually anyway, IMO. It's well off the beaten path, nothing to do there & people aren't attracted to mineral springs anymore. I've been there a couple of times in the last 7-8 years. It's a quant little town, for sure. But there's nothing worth driving in for, IMO.

Their football team holds the record for consecutive losses. I think it's 88 or 90, it's well up there. Not sure what the story was behind that fiasco.

They also have a motorcycle museum in town but I didn't visit it. Very, very few restaurants in town as well. 

I have several towns around me here that's dying as well. Etowah is one of them. Sad.  

7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

There used to be a tap of sulphur water on 8th Ave North in Nashville. It sat right in front of the old Worthan Industries bldg, now an apartment complex. For decades it flowed freely for anyone who wanted it & people were always filling their milk jugs. Then the gubbermint got involved as well as lawyers. Worthan lawyers got the spigot cut down to Saturdays only. Then not long after that it was cut out completely.

6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

My ex MIL, used to go there & get jugs full of the stuff. Stunk like crap & didn't do anything for her disposition or looks. I think they did cap them at some point.She's now dead & buried. I doubt if grass grows over her grave.

LOL!  Funny story!

Older folks used to say sulphur was good for arthritis & other ailments. Never heard any of them say anything about disposition nor looks.  😆

• Like 1
  • Administrator

I'm hearing that the "levee" that the railroad runs atop alongside Highway 70 is basically what caused the sudden, tsunami-style flooding of Waverly rather than them having succumbed to waters rising at a pace that would have allowed forewarning and evacuation.

Basically, that raised railroad was never intended to be a water-break but rather just to keep the rails themselves up off of the flood-plain.  Unfortunately the area received so much water over such a short period of time, that the railroad did become an unintentional levee and wasn't designed for that sort of thing.  The water piled up behind it and then the land beneath the rails gave way and a wall of water poured into town.

A neighbor said he was driving through Waverly over the past few days as part of his church's disaster relief team and it was an eerie sight seeing the railway rails and ties suspended in air with nothing beneath them.

15 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

My family and I were coming back from a trip up "North" just after the Red Boiling Springs Flood. It was a horrible sight. Freight cars and automobiles jumbled on the hillsides. Not something I've thought of in a long time.

We were not wiped out in 2010, but had near 20K in damage and cleanup costs. I cannot express how much I feel sorrow for the folks in Waverly.

Wife and I spent Tuesday cleaning out closets to send clothing via one of the local collection events. Took 10 heavy duty trash bags of clothes, a couple cases of TP and paper towels yesterday. Will be sending more as we get it together.

I spoke with a young man whose family is in Waverly when we dropped the things off. He says they were not totally wiped out as many were, but his family has a small farm home they haven't been able to get to as yet and worried about it. All donations of any kind are appreciated. They need everything! He told me the surrounding community stores are almost empty of food, water, and clothing. It's being bought and donated to the Waverly folks. Makes me feel good to see that happen.

Bless all you guys going up to help. I really wish I could go and get more involed than just the donations, but my feet and legs just won't allow me to do it anymore. Just would love to sort of repay the help we recieved in 2010.

5 hours ago, TGO David said:

I'm hearing that the "levee" that the railroad runs atop alongside Highway 70 is basically what caused the sudden, tsunami-style flooding of Waverly rather than them having succumbed to waters rising at a pace that would have allowed forewarning and evacuation.

Waverly police chief was on-air saying that's not true. He listed multiple creeks that were flooding & caused issues.

I saw the story you're referencing to, it was Ch 4 trying to dredge up some clicks. The so-called "reporter" was an idiot, IMO. I doubt he passed high school.

• Like 1
  • Administrator
2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Waverly police chief was on-air saying that's not true. He listed multiple creeks that were flooding & caused issues.

I saw the story you're referencing to, it was Ch 4 trying to dredge up some clicks. The so-called "reporter" was an idiot, IMO. I doubt he passed high school.

My source was a guy on the ground, doing disaster relief.  I couldn't tell you the last time I watched the news.

• Like 1
8 hours ago, bobsguns said:

RBS would've fizzled out eventually anyway, IMO. It's well off the beaten path, nothing to do there & people aren't attracted to mineral springs anymore. I've been there a couple of times in the last 7-8 years. It's a quant little town, for sure. But there's nothing worth driving in for, IMO.

Their football team holds the record for consecutive losses. I think it's 88 or 90, it's well up there. Not sure what the story was behind that fiasco.

They also have a motorcycle museum in town but I didn't visit it. Very, very few restaurants in town as well. 

I have several towns around me here that's dying as well. Etowah is one of them. Sad.  

The RBS football team has always had issues. Small town, small school, small team in #s. We ( Trousdale Co. ) used to play them every year; in the same region. They never had the best support, coaches. They did have a few good athletes, just not enough. I recall one year, we beat them 91-0. We finally began giving the ball back when they couldn't score, rather that run another play. Always felt bad for them. Sometimes they barely had enough player to have a team. They played with heart tho, always respected them for that.

I thinks Covid has hit them this season. Forfitted 1st game, I believe.

• Like 2
23 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

The RBS football team has always had issues. Small town, small school, small team in #s. We ( Trousdale Co. ) used to play them every year; in the same region. They never had the best support, coaches. They did have a few good athletes, just not enough. I recall one year, we beat them 91-0. We finally began giving the ball back when they couldn't score, rather that run another play. Always felt bad for them. Sometimes they barely had enough player to have a team. They played with heart tho, always respected them for that.

I thinks Covid has hit them this season. Forfitted 1st game, I believe.

First two games so far. Pickett County finally threw in the towel this year and gave up on having a football team. They are sure enough a small school. When we built a new school in Lafayette, we offered to build it large enough where RBS kids could go there as well. It would have been good for the whole county in my opinion. The folks over there threw a fit and flatly refused it. I do not feel sorry for their football team.

• Like 3
31 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

First two games so far. Pickett County finally threw in the towel this year and gave up on having a football team. They are sure enough a small school. When we built a new school in Lafayette, we offered to build it large enough where RBS kids could go there as well. It would have been good for the whole county in my opinion. The folks over there threw a fit and flatly refused it. I do not feel sorry for their football team.

Greg, I remember that. As you and I have both given examples, RBS has a history of refusing assistance. Too much pride, maybe.

Both the MC & RBS teams would have been better, as one, and all in our area knows it.

County politics also largely responsible.

• Like 2
4 hours ago, TGO David said:

My source was a guy on the ground, doing disaster relief.  I couldn't tell you the last time I watched the news.

Ok. But the Chief says it wasn't the cause. Could certainly be a contributing factor though. Not that any of it matters at this point, sadly. 

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

Ch 4 News reports an anonymous donor is paying for all the funerals in Humphries Co resulting from the flood. Whomever it is, may blessings be upon them as I doubt many of those folks could afford a funeral after losing everything they owned. 

Reckon it might be Loretta Lynn?  Hurricane Mills is just down the road from Waverly.