Dispatching Skunks

Tell me about taking care of skunks in a suburban environment.

Those stanky things have always been around the neighborhood but lately a couple have been getting a little too close for comfort, like when I’m having my garage time with the side door open.

Will an Aguila .22 LR Super Colibri (20 gr conical bullet with maybe 1/2 - 3/4 grain of powder behind it) do the job?

Edited by Garufa
  • Admin Team

They’re not particularly hard to kill - but they can be iffy on whether they spray or not when hit.

I shot 5 a few years ago in a crawl space with my go to RWS Subsonics.  None of them sprayed.

My friend who’s an exterminator swears by trapping them using hot Cheetos for bait. Those a blanket over the trap and they can be transported.

Predator urine is usually quite effective as a deterrent as well. Won’t get rid of them - but they’ll got somewhere else. 

• Like 1

The spraying part is my concern.  Fairly confident I could pop one in the head as close as they get.

No interest in trapping. I’ve heard about the trap and blanket method but that’s just more trouble.  Eradication is my goal, plus if I went and got some hot Cheetos, I’d eat them all before getting down to business, lol.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

The spraying part is my concern.  Fairly confident I could pop one in the head as close as they get.

No interest in trapping. I’ve heard about the trap and blanket method but that’s just more trouble.  Eradication is my goal, plus if I went and got some hot Cheetos, I’d eat them all before getting down to business, lol.

My little brother popped one with his AR, and the skunk dumped it's entire load. If I was going to pick one of mine, it would be my 17 HMR loaded with VMAX's. Give them a brainectomy. Hard to do that in town though.

The ones I have had around my house always moved on pretty quickly, as long is there was no shelter or food source.

I had a polecat problem years ago and used a live trap to catch them at night. Once one was in the trap I shined a bright light in its face and shot it between the eyes with a pellet gun. Two of three died instantly without spraying, number three got revenge for all of them.

Edited by Darrell
  • Haha 1

Depending on yout suburban area... maybe a pellet gun?

I like the idea of predator urine or other deterrent? Maybe some dog droppings around perimeter? I could donate?

My previous home was suburban. No-way I could get away with a .22 outside of "4th of July season"..... Got a friend with a silencer?

If there are multiples, your odds of touching one off increases exponentially (ala @Darrell 's story.)  You can flip a coin and get heads 3x in a row, but its still 50/50 chance each flip.

Maybe throw a few handfulls of Cheeto's under the neighbors bushes! Got any nearby you don't like?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

CO2 powered pellet pistol. Pick your favorite from BassPro, Academy or the like. I use my .357 pellet pistol with copperhead point pellets. Skunks, foxes, rabbits, squirls, crows etc. are easily dispatched. Proper shot placement is key for skunks. 75% of the time, they will spray no matter how you kill em....

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, Johnny reb said:

Nothing wrong with the round.  As far as them spraying it’s like spinning a roulette wheel you just never know.  

And I suck at gambling.  I’ve been reevaluating my initial thought of trying to pop one in the head so close to the house.

• Haha 1

A fellow that raises honey bees uses live traps and the blank approach. He then loads them in the back of the pickup and goes to town for coffee. He stops at a bridge over a creek on the way and lowers the cage into the river to see if the skunk can hold its breath till he gets back. On the way home he pulls the trap up and dumps the ones that can't hold their breath out and goes on home.

13 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

A fellow that raises honey bees uses live traps and the blank approach. He then loads them in the back of the pickup and goes to town for coffee. He stops at a bridge over a creek on the way and lowers the cage into the river to see if the skunk can hold its breath till he gets back. On the way home he pulls the trap up and dumps the ones that can't hold their breath out and goes on home.

And TWRA will arrest him and confiscate his truck if they catch him doing that. Transporting wildlife without a permit is illegal. 

• Like 1
13 hours ago, Jeb48 said:

Don't get me wrong, hate skunks with a passion, had to kill a few in my days......but your buddy's an idiot. His way is not humane and is considered animal abuse/torture. A humane kill is the only way, not drowning like a psychopath would. 😤

• Like 2
11 hours ago, kwe45919 said:

Don't get me wrong, hate skunks with a passion, had to kill a few in my days......but your buddy's an idiot. His way is not humane and is considered animal abuse/torture. A humane kill is the only way, not drowning like a psychopath would. 😤

Not a friend and not even from this state, he is the Father In-law of a friend. I imagine he lacks compassion after they have tore up a few of his hives.

• Like 1

Skunks are quite harmless and let you know when they are around. The only thing to fear is if your dog gets sprayed.  Otherwise, I am very happy with them because they will seek out and destroy yellow jacket nests amongst other positive things.

Le Pew

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 3