Football is soon here!

bobsguns

2 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

When is Vandy going to realize they don't belong in the SEC ? They cannot compete on that level.

I’m all for replacing them with Memphis.  Been wanting that for years.

Problem is Vandy is one of the first SEC teams. A “founding member”.   Maybe it’s tradition, but that doesn’t mean jack anymore in today’s society.

• Like 1
1 minute ago, Garufa said:

I’m all for replacing them with Memphis.  Been wanting that for years.

Problem is Vandy is one of the first SEC teams. A “founding member”.   Maybe it’s tradition, but that doesn’t mean jack anymore in today’s society.

True. SEC money figures in there too.

• Wow 1
19 hours ago, Sleep profit said:

Watching Texas vs Texas tech  Good so far Texas ahead 😀 I hope Vols can pull 4 wins this season I was more optimistic until Pitt game  afraid it’s downhill with gators. Bama  Bulldogs etc

Yeah, UT just doesn't have the talent level to run with the Big Boys in the SEC. I counted 4-5 dropped passes in the game last night. Just awful. Roughing the receiver on the punt fair catch was a super stupid play too. But I like the coach, I think he'll be ok with an upgrade in talent.

How about them Commodores? LOL! 64-0! 35-0 in the first quarter! Reminds me of the days when Watson Brown was coaching, his last couple of years & their blow outs. I think some of the upper tier private high schools could beat Vandy this year. 

GA Southern damn near knocked off Auburn. Replay officials robbed GA Southern on a reception review, calling it complete for Auburn. For those who don't know, long time GA assistant under Vince Dooley, Erk Russell, started the GA Southern program way back when. They often put my school (MTSU) out of the playoffs & gave larger schools a run for their  money when they dared to play GS. 

What about Arkansas? Beating both A&M & Texas this year, now going 4-0. Those guys have got to be killing the Vegas boys. LOL!

The GA-Florida game looks to be a spicy game if Florida wins out up to then. 

I will be SO happy when someone beats the hell out of Norte Dame! 

• Like 2
8 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

When is Vandy going to realize they don't belong in the SEC ? They cannot compete on that level.

Vandy isn't going anywhere. They give other teams a "W" & Vandy gets a split of the bowl money without the expenses, never mind the tv contract money.

They compete in everything except football. Baseball has won a National Championship & they played in the finals just this past year. Mens & womens basketball are down now but they've had good teams in the past. The women have a new UConn alum as the head coach, so I expect things to get better immediately there. 

It takes an exceptional coach to win in Vandy football. James Franklin is living proof of that. I recall a few of his comments as he departed for Pedo State. He was less than happy with the administration there. I've heard some say the snobs in academia would be thrilled if Vandy dropped sports all together. That's why they won't waive some admissions for athletes.

• Like 1

Alabama had better improve fast if they plan on being in the playoffs.  Henry Too Too may have been a big dog at UT but he seems to just run around and make no big impact.  Alabama may get beat by Ole Miss and/or Texas A&M.  I think the Arkansas team winning and the coach are great but they are about to face reality with Alabama and Ole Miss. 

Saban will have his string of not being beaten by former assistants broken by Kiffin and/or Smart.  If Alabama makes it to the SEC Championship Game they will be beaten by Georgia?

QUESTION TO UT FANS- Would you all been happy with UT hiring a coach with Sam Pittman's credentials and never having been a head coach or a coordinator at a major football program?  The yelling and screaming would have been overwhelming.  UT has to hire a "name coach".

Edited by A516
8 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I'm not sure the Vols can either. 

Every school goes through cycles.

Bama fans conveniently forget the DuBose, Shula, Bill Curry, Mike Price, etc years of Bama coaches. Aside from Gene Stallings' couple of years & the arrival of Saban, Bama was lucky to beat Vandy. Hell, Saban's first year included a loss to the powerhouse UL-Monroe. LOL!!!!  When Saban retires, it will once again revert back to mediocrity for a period of time.

Auburn didn't do squat between Jordan & Pat Dye. Only had sparks between Dye & now, Cam Newton's Heisman year. 

Florida couldn't beat school of the blind prior to Spurrior arriving. Galen Hall had a couple of good years but he got Florida on probation & their wins forfeited.

LSU had a long drought after Charles McClendon retired. All of them underachieved prior to Saban arriving. Oregeron lucked out with a transfer QB in Burrow & rode his arm to a NC. They're back to normal now.

After Frank Broyles retired, Lou Holtz had five years before he too bolted. Houston Nutt had some good years before they too settled back to mostly average. (At one time, Broyles had as assistants Johnny Majors, Jimmy Johnson & Doug Dickey. All went on to head coaching success, two won NC's.)

GA had many years of average teams after Vince Dooley retired. Only until Kirby Smart arrived have they regained national prominence. 

Ole Miss has had a revolving door since Johnny Vaught retired in 1973. Lane Kiffen will leave as soon as someone bigger offers him a job, IMO. 

Miss State has never had a top tier year. Their longest coach was Dan Mullen, who left them for Florida. He was there 8 years.

Vandy & KY are both basketball schools & haven't fielded good teams since WW2.

SC, A&M & MO are all too new to the SEC to recount their history.

One thing about getting old is you can recall when something or someone used to stink up the joint. 😆

• Like 2
4 hours ago, A516 said:

Alabama had better improve fast if they plan on being in the playoffs.  Henry Too Too may have been a big dog at UT but he seems to just run around and make no big impact.  Alabama may get beat by Ole Miss and/or Texas A&M.  I think the Arkansas team winning and the coach are great but they are about to face reality with Alabama and Ole Miss. 

Saban will have his string of not being beaten by former assistants broken by Kiffin and/or Smart.  If Alabama makes it to the SEC Championship Game they will be beaten by Georgia?

QUESTION TO UT FANS- Would you all been happy with UT hiring a coach with Sam Pittman's credentials and never having been a head coach or a coordinator at a major football program?  The yelling and screaming would have been overwhelming.  UT has to hire a "name coach".

Too-Too is an athlete & is not fundamentally as sound as he should be. He gets by on speed, IOW. He'll never play a down in the NFL, IMO. 

Funny you think A&M may beat Bama but not Arkansas, who just beat (guess who?) A&M. 

Heupel wasn't exactly a name that rolled off of everyone's tongue when he got hired. Hell, I had never even heard of him prior to his hiring. It's not ego that requires a "name" coach to be hired as it's more towards recruiting, IMO. When a school has a period of low success & high coaching turnover, a hot shot recruit has to hang his hat on something. A coach's name is sometimes all a school can offer.

Someone once said when a coaching disaster gets fired, it now takes 5-6 years to recover. UT has now had SIX coaches get relieved or whom have quit (Kiffen). So now it will take UT 5-6-7 years to get back to being a Top 10 team, IMO. Problem is, the fans & boosters probably won't want to wait that long. After 3-4 years of 6-5 records & Music City Bowls, they're ready for the Next Big Coming in coaching. I personally believe Heupel can & will make UT a Top Ten team again. It won't be quick nor easy. But all the experts say a SEC HC simply HAS to have a background as an O-coordinator to survive. Heupel has that in spades, so he should be able to fix anything that rears its ugly head on that side of the ball. Not to mention, scoring a ####load of points can keep one in a game they have no business in either, IMO.

My .o2

What about KIrby Smart, Ed Orgeron and some guy named Saban?  None of them were a O-coordinator before taking over as head coaches at their respective SEC schools.  Must have been a fluke.

TAM stands a better chance of beating Alabama for one thing as they will be the home team.  Arkansas will be playing at Alabama.  I would like to see Arkansas beat Alabama.

23 hours ago, A516 said:

What about KIrby Smart, Ed Orgeron and some guy named Saban?  None of them were a O-coordinator before taking over as head coaches at their respective SEC schools.  Must have been a fluke.

TAM stands a better chance of beating Alabama for one thing as they will be the home team.  Arkansas will be playing at Alabama.  I would like to see Arkansas beat Alabama.

Didn't say a D-coordinator wouldn't make a good HC, they said it EASIER for an O-coordinator to do so. Then what happens when your O-coordinator gets hired away as a HC? Now you have to begin all over again with the HC outside looking in on the offensive scheme.

As for A&M, I doubt Bama gives a fat, furry rat's ass if the game is at home or away. They just went to the Swamp & won, arguably one of the toughest places to play in the SEC on the road. 

Was the A&M/Arkansas game at A&M or Arkansas? 

Anyone want to guess what the over/under on the UConn-Vandy game will be this Sat? They're arguably THE worst two teams in the NCAA, so it might be a 6-3 game, maybe even lower? LOL!

I'm going to say 10-0, Vandy. 

I bet the crowd will be under 6k as well. 99% of those will be from free tickets to youth teams. LOL!

On 9/26/2021 at 8:18 AM, bobsguns said:

GA Southern damn near knocked off Auburn. Replay officials robbed GA Southern on a reception review, calling it complete for Auburn. For those who don't know, long time GA assistant under Vince Dooley, Erk Russell, started the GA Southern program way back when. They often put my school (MTSU) out of the playoffs & gave larger schools a run for their  money when they dared to play GS. 

I had the pleasure of meeting Erk Russell and he was a really great guy that the entire school and community admired. He created a football program in 1981 and won two Div 1-AA National Championships in 1985 and 1986, which were playoff-series games (He also won another in 1989 in his last season)

Ga Southern has won back-to-back National Championships 3 times while in FCS! Unfortunately they are now in the FBS

Edited by Swamp ash

Vandy wins on a last-second FG as time expires. This is at home, against THE worst Div 1 football team in the country. How embarrassing. Attendance was announced at 21k, but I doubt it was even half that.

Bama gave Ole Miss an old fashioned ass whipping. 

MSU winning over A&M is a bit of a surprise, IMO. MSU might be the team no one wants to play in the next year or two.

Would've never dreamed UT would've beaten Mizz like they did. Hopefully that will carry over to the SC game next week.

UK beating Florida? UK is now 5-0 on the season. I doubt they can hang with GA but sill, they're cranking it up.

What happened to Arkansas? Jeez, they got hammered. Back to earth they've crashed.

Auburn over LSU but that's no real surprise, IMO. Auburn seems to be still having QB issues with Nix, lack of consistency seems to be a problem.

23 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Titans lose in OT.  Yaaaaa!

Ugly game on the Titan side. Tip of the hat to the Jets though. They played tough on both sides of the ball. Sacked Tanneyhill about a dozen times in the first half alone. 3-4 o-linemen went out for a period of time with injuries but all returned. The Jets just beat the hell out them, IMO.

I do note that the Titan #1 & #2 WR's didn't play a down. That didn't help matters, IMO. But again, the Jets earned it.

2 hours ago, bobsguns said:

Ugly game on the Titan side. Tip of the hat to the Jets though. They played tough on both sides of the ball. Sacked Tanneyhill about a dozen times in the first half alone. 3-4 o-linemen went out for a period of time with injuries but all returned. The Jets just beat the hell out them, IMO.

I do note that the Titan #1 & #2 WR's didn't play a down. That didn't help matters, IMO. But again, the Jets earned it.

That's true, #1 & #2 were out, but they were playing the Jets, one of the worst teams in the league, so........