Football is soon here!

bobsguns

8 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Watertown has improved vastly over the early part of the season. They beat us during the season,聽 at our place. While I don't believe they will do it again, don't sell Watertown short.

Didn't mean this year, as I don't have a clue who is or isn't in high school these days. But 100 years ago, when I followed high school ball closely across the state, Watertown wasn't a team that one thought of when one mentioned good football towns. Clearly times change.

5 hours ago, Snaveba said:

Well $h1t. Auburn just collapsed and lost after having an 18pt lead at the half.聽

MissSt never gave up and out played the Tigers in the second half.聽

MSU QB was 24 for 26 in the second half. That's amazing.

Auburn flat out got outcoached, IMO. Leach is a better coach than people give him credit for, IMO. Weird, but a good coach.

Ole Miss is thumping A&M pretty good, 15-0.

Oklahoma got hugely upset by Baylor. And those guys think they can swim with the SEC boys?聽聽馃槅

Michigan-PSU was a good game. PSU managed to tie it late but Michigan managed to not beat themselves for a change. PSU & former Vandy coach James Franklin is rumored to be in the hunt for the LSU opening. No clue if he'd want it or they'd want him.

As expected, GA rolled by double digits over UT. GA got all they wanted in the first half though. I believe once Heupel gets 2-3 recruiting classes under his belt, UT is going to be someone no one want to play, IMO. He's a darn good coach.

Read earlier that Alvin Kamara won't play for the Saints against the Titans tomorrow. That's a huge break for the Titans, IMO. Kamara is one of the top 2-3 players in the NFL, IMO. He can play 4-5 different positions & do all of them exceptionally well.

8 minutes ago, Garufa said:

Is there something in Vandy鈥檚 TV contract that says they can鈥檛 show the stadium or crowd in attendance? 聽I really don鈥檛 care and know not many go to the games, but have noticed it this year. 聽馃榾

They've been doing this for several years now. I've heard on talk radio that the Vandy snobs whisper to the tv folks to not show all the empty seats. NASCAR was doing the same thing a while back, no clue if they still are or not?

I kept this pic from a couple of years ago that someone took themselves. It's probably worse now. Vandy-ETSU game. Keep in mind this is right before the game starts. People are standing for the anthem.聽

Vandy admin HATES sports as do the professors & much of the student body. I've had season tickets for various sports there from time to time. I've had lots of off-the-record discussions with long time Vandy staff people & they've all said the same thing over several decades: the admin hates sports.

VU ETSU kickoff.jpg

Edited by bobsguns

TSSAA used to play the State championship games there ( 90s). I think we had a bigger crowd. Agree about the Vandy snobs. They wouldn't even allow us to use their parking. Had to park over in Centennial & walk back. Thankfully we finally moved to MTSU.

5 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

TSSAA used to play the State championship games there ( 90s). I think we had a bigger crowd.聽

Yeah, back in the 1970s the Clinic Bowl was played there as well. Back then it was the east & west division of Nashville's NIL league championship & not a state championship game. Winner of the Clinic Bowl moved on to play whomever. Since it was an all-Nashville game, the crowds were pretty large. Of course back then the stadium was only around 20,000 or so.

I went to my first Vandy football game in the mid-1960s, before the expansion was built. I remember thinking how shocked I was as a kid seeing that many drunk people in public. Prior to that I had never seen a drunk person.聽 聽馃槤

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, bobsguns said:

They've been doing this for several years now. I've heard on talk radio that the Vandy snobs whisper to the tv folks to not show all the empty seats. NASCAR was doing the same thing a while back, no clue if they still are or not?

I kept this pic from a couple of years ago that someone took themselves. It's probably worse now. Vandy-ETSU game. Keep in mind this is right before the game starts. People are standing for the anthem.聽

Vandy admin HATES sports as do the professors & much of the student body. I've had season tickets for various sports there from time to time. I've had lots of off-the-record discussions with long time Vandy staff people & they've all said the same thing over several decades: the admin hates sports.

VU ETSU kickoff.jpg

It shows聽

4 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Lot of home cooking going on in Nashville today. That roughing the passer call was pure garbage. Refs determined to get Titans a score. Added a PI , just to make sure.

As a homer, I admit that was a questionable call. PI was legit, defender grabbed him enough to turn his body.聽

Every team has a bad day with the refs. Ask UT about that with the Ole Miss game crew..........................聽 聽馃槅

12 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

The Roughing the Passer was a bit tickytack. But at game speed, it鈥檚 got to be hard to tell if the helmets actually hit. Those situations should be reviewable by challenge.聽

The A&M-Ole Miss game had a targeting call. I watched the replays repeatedly & could not tell the helmets touched at all, much less at force. Yet both players rolled around, holding their heads after the play. The penalty stood after review.聽

14 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

The Roughing the Passer was a bit tickytack. But at game speed, it鈥檚 got to be hard to tell if the helmets actually hit. Those situations should be reviewable by challenge.聽

Should be reviewable,聽 but, at least the refs upstairs should have overturned it. Agree on the PI call. Understand,聽 I'm not a Saints fan, but hate to see a possible game changing call. These refs are professionals,聽 have to be better than that. It happens a lot at all levels.

5 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It isn鈥檛 always pretty, but the Titans keep getting it done鈥ven without King Henry.

RB by committee isn't going to work against NE & a few other teams, IMO. Hopefully Peterson will get the rust knocked off & find his groove.聽

Saints had 86 yards rushing w/o Kamara. Titans had 66 yards rushing w/o Henry.聽

Both teams sold out to stop the run, daring the passing game to beat them. Brown had exactly one catch all day long for 16 yards. Had the Saints had Kamara today coupled with their defensive effort, they would've won by a couple of TD's, IMO. Saints QB (Siemens?) is no where near as mobile as Winston was. Nice arm on the kid though, he showed it in the 4th Qtr.

But all the teams in the league are banged up a good bit, the Titans certainly aren't the only ones. Julio Jones is now out for 3 weeks on IR for a hamstring. Time will tell if he was worth the $$ but I'm betting he was not.

Someone mentioned today there's the super slight chance Henry may be back before the end of the season. I don't see that happening, IMO.聽

23 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

It isn鈥檛 always pretty, but the Titans keep getting it done鈥ven without King Henry.

Can't argue with that. Decent schedule coming up as well.

Saints missed 2 XPs, could have tied. Who knows. Had 5 starters out too. That's football tho. As they say, games over.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Should be reviewable,聽 but, at least the refs upstairs should have overturned it. Agree on the PI call. Understand,聽 I'm not a Saints fan, but hate to see a possible game changing call. These refs are professionals,聽 have to be better than that. It happens a lot at all levels.

Every team has to deal with refs and injuries during the season. Just the way it is.