Phil Valentine Replacement -New Thread

Will

There is no replacing Phil and I know this may be early but I would hate to see them hurry and get the wrong person if they even  keep it going. Johnny B would be OK

with Pam Furr but both make better sidekicks. With Ralph Bristol fired I would not want anyother local talent. My pick would be Nikki Goesser. I don't know if she would

even want to do it,but if someone here could reach out to her it would be great.

I doubt it will be Johnny B. Pam maybe. Won't be Nikki either. Phil was a heavy weight. None of the ones mentioned, except maybe Pam could hold the audience. They will most likely go for a bigger name. I haven't talked to anybody over there. Just educated guesses.

Several weeks ago they had a guy named Brad Staggs fill in for a week or so and he did a good job IMO.    He currently does a podcast called The Daily MoJo.    I don't remember the details, but Brad and Phil had a previous work connection I believe.   

I'm going to miss Phil on my 50-60 minute drive home commute.  Been listening to him for almost 20 years.  

RIP Uncle Phil

8 hours ago, Will said:

With Ralph Bristol fired I would not want anyother local talent. My pick would be Nikki Goesser. I don't know if she would

even want to do it,but if someone here could reach out to her it would be great.

I missed it, what happened with Bristol?

I'm not sure Nikki is extroverted enough to be a radio host, IMO. She's pretty reserved.

I enjoyed Brad Staggs when he filled in. I'm not sure how he'd age were he on there long term, but I think he'd have a shot at being a good replacement.

Phil is like Rush Limbaugh. You aren't really going to replace him. He had a unique and special talent.

57 minutes ago, bobsguns said:

I missed it, what happened with Bristol?

More than 3 1/2 years ago.

https://onthehill.tnjournal.net/nashville-talk-show-host-ralph-bristol-terminated/

From another site: https://www.mainstreet-nashville.com/community/main-street-mover-ralph-bristol/article_5bbdc1d4-8a93-11ea-b33f-93d592ed2fcf.html

I know it was controversial leaving there over differences with management. Do you want to explain? How did this affect your career?

“I was fired for insubordination after discussing, on the air, communications between myself and station management regarding programming decisions. At 68 and close to my planned retirement age, I decided to retire at that time.”

Edited by monkeylizard
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

I enjoyed Brad Staggs when he filled in. I'm not sure how he'd age were he on there long term, but I think he'd have a shot at being a good replacement.

Phil is like Rush Limbaugh. You aren't really going to replace him. He had a unique and special talent.

Yep. You don't just replace a 20-30 year old brand, unless there's one available to step in.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Defender said:

I hope its someone local.  I like Dan Mandis and Pamela Furr.  Whoever it is, I hope they keep Johnny B.

I don't much care for either. Johnny B. is awesome in his role. I'm curious if he'd be able to to a 4 hour talk show by himself.

8 hours ago, Defender said:

I hope its someone local.  I like Dan Mandis and Pamela Furr.  Whoever it is, I hope they keep Johnny B.

Johnny B will be at the station as long as Johnny B wants to be there IMO.       No offense to Dan or Pamela, but I don't think either one is a good choice for that spot, just a personal preference.     

I know by no means that he is ready or capable at this point, but his son Campbell that he did the Podgoats podcast with wants to get into the "industry".    

• Like 1