HCP expired Almost 5 years ago - Renewal Process???

As the title states, my HCP expired almost 5 years ago, I'm trying to get it renewed (probably will go lifetime). I'm not finding much online (the forums resource thread is all 404s for me). Can I just renew it without having to retake the course? Or do I need to go through the entire process again?

My understanding is that you have to reapply, not renew.  The course will probably need to be done again as well, as the law states that it has to be within 1 year of the application.

Edit:

https://law.justia.com/codes/tennessee/2010/title-39/chapter-17/part-13/39-17-1351/

You may need to contact these folks to see if anything has changed due to the "no permit" law that just passed.

Handgun Permit Unit
P.O. Box 23710
Nashville, TN 37202
(615) 251-8590

Edited by Omega
  • Like 1
4 minutes ago, Omega said:

My understanding is that you have to reapply, not renew.  The course will probably need to be done again as well, as the law states that it has to be within 1 year of the application.

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/faq.html

So now I'm confused as hell...says 8 years here, that I can just go to a DMV and get it renewed....BUT they haven't even updated it to say anything about the new CC bill that was passed and in effect July 1st. So I don't know what to believe now.

>Any person whose handgun carry permit expires and such person applies for a renewal within eight (8) years from the date of expiration, such person shall only be required to comply with the renewal provisions. However, you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit.

7 minutes ago, SupraMario said:

https://www.tn.gov/safety/tnhp/handgun/faq.html

So now I'm confused as hell...says 8 years here, that I can just go to a DMV and get it renewed....BUT they haven't even updated it to say anything about the new CC bill that was passed and in effect July 1st. So I don't know what to believe now.

>Any person whose handgun carry permit expires and such person applies for a renewal within eight (8) years from the date of expiration, such person shall only be required to comply with the renewal provisions. However, you may not lawfully carry a weapon until you receive a new permit.

That is probably right, I had been led to believe that it would cost more to renew an expired permit, but may have either changed since then or may have got wrong info back then.  I'd give them a call to be sure.

Edit:  I see where I may have been confused.  The permits back then were only good for 4 years, now it's 8.

You can renew your handgun carry permit up to one renewal cycle past the expiration date by completing an application and paying the renewal fee. You may not legally carry a weapon on your person while your permit has expired until you receive your new permit.

You may renew in person at any full service Driver Services Center or by mail to:

Tennessee Department of Safety

Handgun Permit Office

P.O. Box 23710

Nashville, TN 37202

If your permit has been expired more than eight (8) years past the renewal date you will need to start the complete process again.  This includes completing a handgun safety course, paying the permit fee, being fingerprinted and undergoing a background check.

Edited by Omega
Add info

I think they changed the rules to make it easier. My dad left TN for 8 years. When he moved back to TN in 2019 the DMV employee noticed he had a carry permit in the past and asked if he wanted to renew to which my dad said yes. They sent him a new permit in the mail. He didn't have to go through the process again. 

When I moved back to TN in 2015 my wife and I had to go through the entire class again. Something changed in between 2015-2019. 

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I think they changed the rules to make it easier. My dad left TN for 8 years. When he moved back to TN in 2019 the DMV employee noticed he had a carry permit in the past and asked if he wanted to renew to which my dad said yes. They sent him a new permit in the mail. He didn't have to go through the process again. 

When I moved back to TN in 2015 my wife and I had to go through the entire class again. Something changed in between 2015-2019. 

Yea it must have, back in 09' this was posted:

• 3 weeks later...