Hurricane Ida and Asian Grocery Stores

10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

BTW, is that Asian Grocery store really good or are you joking? I've never been inside.

It's a trip.  You could spend an hour in there just trying to figure out what everything is.

If nothing else, it's the best place to get Sriracha sauce.  They sell great big things of it way cheaper than anywhere else.

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Yeah I feel bad for her. It wasn't like the videos you see of people intentionally driving through floodwaters. I'm convinced some of those people are committing insurance fraud for a new vehicle. She made an honest mistake. This is the entrance I'm talking about and you'd never guess the water gets 3 feet deep when it rains. The curb I circled in red is where that car flew over it at warp speed. 🙂

BTW, is that Asian Grocery store really good or are you joking? I've never been inside. 

image.png.607ec7a00e4657d04a3395865f935797.png

I shop at the Sunrise - it's pretty darn good, (except it's hard to read the packaging, sometimes - lol).

The Asia Kitchen next door really rocks. 

17 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Is there an Asian grocery store that isn’t good?

Seriously.  If they’ve got a plate lunch, I’m in. 

Never been in one, but I’m game. I like Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and most Thai food. I haven’t yet tried Vietnamese.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Erik88 said:

Yeah I feel bad for her. It wasn't like the videos you see of people intentionally driving through floodwaters. I'm convinced some of those people are committing insurance fraud for a new vehicle. She made an honest mistake. This is the entrance I'm talking about and you'd never guess the water gets 3 feet deep when it rains. The curb I circled in red is where that car flew over it at warp speed. 🙂

image.png.607ec7a00e4657d04a3395865f935797.png

So if you can't see those bushes, give it a pass?  😄

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

What would you suggest I try?

There are many choices - it's a blend between French and Indochinese and can be quite varied. It , of course has similarities to Thai, Chinese, but is it's own thing, too.

Seafood and beef are usually two big features as well as pork.

Ban Xeo is really good. Sometimes called a Vietnamese pancake, it's actually a crispy rice-flour crepe with with Nuoc Mam (fish sauce).  Nuoc mam is one of the distinctive attributes of Vietnamese food. It's pretty tasty stuff, by itself and even though it starts with fermented fish juice 😜

There are a whole bunch of Pho dishes which is beef with noodle.

Some Vietnamese restaurants have a lot of charcoal-grilled meats and seafood serve over rice vermicelli with Nuoc mam. I eat it with fish.

And yes, they do great fish at some places - whole steamed fish (or fried) with Nuoc mam is wonderful.

They also have both Spring rolls (fried) and Summer rolls which are uncooked and often filled with basil and dipped in peanut sauce (and of course nuoc mam). And if you like your caffeine like me, go for the Vietnamese coffee. It's espresso ground strong spiced coffee with sweetened condensed milk.

I forgot to add, there are often some wonderful huge bowls of soups, too.

I'm glad you are open-minded because it's best to step away from the comfort-zone and discover new things, especially with food!

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Like 2
40 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Pictures are starting to come out showing why they had to cancel Bonnaroo. Apparently nearly every vehicle had to be towed out with tractors.

Capture+_2021-09-02-13-16-26.png

Reminds me of a hare scramble race we put on at my buddy's farm. There were motorhomes buried to the frame. Some were drug out with a dozier.

• Like 1
44 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

Pictures are starting to come out showing why they had to cancel Bonnaroo. Apparently nearly every vehicle had to be towed out with tractors.

That is part of the story. The tractors that they were using to pull out the cars were also getting stuck. A friend was a volunteer worker and shared pictures Tuesday of a tractor buried nearly to the axle, another tractor stuck trying to pull it out, and a third tractor trying to get one or both of the first two out. It was an absolute mud pit. 

• Like 1
Just now, OldIronFan said:

That is part of the story. The tractors that they were using to pull out the cars were also getting stuck. A friend was a volunteer worker and shared pictures Tuesday of a tractor buried nearly to the axle, another tractor stuck trying to pull it out, and a third tractor trying to get one or both of the first two out. It was an absolute mud pit. 

Sounds like they could have made the best of it and changed from a music festival to mud-wrestling and tractor-pulls.  It's all entertainment.

• Like 2