2021 Dove Season

The 2021 dove season is just around the corner. Anyone got any predictions on the quantity of birds yet, or is it still too early to tell? Maybe a little cooler weather to push them down south? I saw a video of a guy shooting, I believe it was a Mossberg 500 .410, and I think he got 14 birds out of 15 shots! I wish I could do that, even with a 12 gauge. What are your favorite dove guns; gauges, chokes, ammo brand and shot sizes? Do you hunt with a semi-auto, pump gun, lever action, bolt action, side by side, over under, or single barrel? What is your hardest shot: coming straight at you, going straight away from you, or a side shot from either side? I'm told sunflower fields are about as good as it gets for hunting fields. Personally, I have never been lucky enough to get to hunt over one. What will you be hunting over on opening day: cut corn, cut beans, standing corn, or a pasture with a farm pond? If you haven't figured it out by now... what I'm trying to do is gin up a little dove hunting conversation for the upcoming season.

As for me, I'll probably be shooting a Remington 1100, 12 gauge, with a modified choke tube, factory or some of my re-loaded shells using 7 1/2 size shot. It doesn't matter what kind of dove field, as long as I'm in it, and get to shoot some doves. I usually give my birds to whomever has invited me to hunt, as I don't do much cooking. Also, just as a reminder, if there are others that hunt by invitation only, like me, be respectful of the host's property: don't leave anything on the ground (sandwich wrappers, water bottles, or even empty shell hulls), don't climb fences or leave any gates open as you leave. Always show your host your appreciation for their generosity and leave a good impression on them of you as a hunter. Happy hunting and good shooting.

Edited by Sidewinder
grammar
  • Like 1
On 8/29/2021 at 10:34 PM, Luckyforward said:

I live landlocked in Nashville and would like to have a place to go for a dove hunt in Middle Tennessee.  If anyone can tell me where to go (in a nice way) I would love to attempt to shoot some doves this year.

Luckyforward, I sure hope someone invites you to do a little dove hunting with them. I'm, as you say, "landlocked" in Murfreesboro myself. I believe the Wildlife people have contracted with some private farmers to use their fields as "public" dove fields, but I don't know where they are. You might find some information on the TWRA website. I'm thinking most of the rain will have moved out by 12 noon, when the season opens. But, the fields could be a bit muddy, from all of this rain. If you find a place, good hunting to you.

I'm lucky enough to know a few people who have private fields that I get to shoot.  I won't hunt until this weekend.  Best hunt I ever went on was over a watermelon field in Arkansas.  It was phenomenal, I think the 100 or so people in the field all limited. 

1 hour ago, 10-Ring said:

I'm lucky enough to know a few people who have private fields that I get to shoot.  I won't hunt until this weekend.  Best hunt I ever went on was over a watermelon field in Arkansas.  It was phenomenal, I think the 100 or so people in the field all limited. 

10-Ring, I have never heard of anyone dove hunting over a watermelon field. Were the birds attracted to the watermelon seeds of the split open melons? Was this a field where the melons had been harvested? That's interesting. I have some relatives that grew up in Warren Arkansas.

Jusst got back did not see any shooting but only stayed a short while a two leased fields in Wilson Co and they were too crowed for me. South one almost need FWD to get in to parking.  Info is on TWRA Wilson Co. they are leased so no WMA permit needed.  Last time I hunted in a crowd some kid put pellets into two people on low birds . That was at the old public field behind the Hermitage before it was closed,birds would come in fifty at a time and you could limit out in 15 minutes.  I like the Oct&Nov season better as the birds from up North are corn fed and much bigger and nobody Dove hunting.  Hunted a private farm in Williamson Co. for years and would get a few now and then,but the opening day I was out of town the group got about 400 birds in a half hour limited out and went home. There was a small patch of bushes that they dove into and would feed and leave under fire,some kind of ripe seed?  I seen that happen in the yard one time the mutt got a whiff and dove in and about a hundred Doves flew out. 

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

10-Ring, I have never heard of anyone dove hunting over a watermelon field. Were the birds attracted to the watermelon seeds of the split open melons? Was this a field where the melons had been harvested? That's interesting. I have some relatives that grew up in Warren Arkansas.

It was already harvested but still had plenty of melons.  I'll be hunting that field in Saturday, I understand they bush hogged it this year after harvest.  Doesn't make sense to me that they were attracted to watermelons, but I'd never seen that many birds in a day before. 

• Like 1

Literally the first time I've used my shotgun since opening day last year! 

I got just short of a limit at 13, in Bledsoe country over a cut wheat field. Not as many guns as last year (I think maybe 35 a compared to 120+) Had great action from 12 to 12:30 then hit the usual afternoon lull until 4. It took me a full box to bag my first, but after that I averaged 3 shells to a bird.

Still making it the most expensive game meat there is! 

I may try to get out Saturday afternoon as well, but I don't know of any local fields worth the drive. 

• Like 4
20 hours ago, Handsome Rob said:

Literally the first time I've used my shotgun since opening day last year! 

I got just short of a limit at 13, in Bledsoe country over a cut wheat field. Not as many guns as last year (I think maybe 35 a compared to 120+) Had great action from 12 to 12:30 then hit the usual afternoon lull until 4. It took me a full box to bag my first, but after that I averaged 3 shells to a bird.

Still making it the most expensive game meat there is! 

I may try to get out Saturday afternoon as well, but I don't know of any local fields worth the drive. 

was that a public field or private?  I've never been lucky enough to find a field with enough birds and few enough people to make it worth my time.  I do love Dove hunting though

I haven't been able to go dove hunting yet. But, when I do, like Handsome Rob, I'm sure I'll need some brushing up. How far do you guys "lead" the birds? I know this will vary somewhat, depending on the height of the bird and direction of flight. What is the best technique that works on the diving, darting, speeding dove?

4 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

I haven't been able to go dove hunting yet. But, when I do, like Handsome Rob, I'm sure I'll need some brushing up. How far do you guys "lead" the birds? I know this will vary somewhat, depending on the height of the bird and direction of flight. What is the best technique that works on the diving, darting, speeding dove?

I tried pretty much everything from 3" to 15 yards before I connected with my first. 

It's literally impossible to say. Every single bird is different & that's what makes wing shooting so much fun! 

• Like 1
On 9/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, Sidewinder said:

just laugh and don't shoot.  You will shoot 3 times and cuss...just save the ammo and master the routine shots.  I have been quite fortunate to be blessed with multiple friends who are farmers and have always had several good shoots every year.  Two great shoots so far, looking forward to Monday's foray

On 9/4/2021 at 6:46 PM, chances R said:

just laugh and don't shoot.  You will shoot 3 times and cuss...just save the ammo and master the routine shots.  I have been quite fortunate to be blessed with multiple friends who are farmers and have always had several good shoots every year.  Two great shoots so far, looking forward to Monday's foray

Good advice Chances R. You are very fortunate to have farmer friends that will invite you over for a dove shoot. Have fun.

On 9/3/2021 at 8:37 PM, Handsome Rob said:

I tried pretty much everything from 3" to 15 yards before I connected with my first. 

It's literally impossible to say. Every single bird is different & that's what makes wing shooting so much fun! 

I hear you Handsome Rob. I know what you're saying. I thought those doves were only doing it to me, but I guess they do it to others also! Have fun.

Was talking to a friend of mine that dove hunts almost every day of the season. He owns a farm and he has a lot of friends that own farms and they kinda swap around at each others farm for dove shoots. I don't have a farm, so I kinda get the latest information through drinking coffee and talking hunting with him. He told me that the doves he has been taking are mostly young and small doves. Is this the case with the rest of you dove hunters?

On 9/11/2021 at 9:12 PM, Will said:

I have never seen anything but small doves in TN the month of Sept. Mid-late Oct. the northern cornfed doves start coming through,much bigger and nobody dove hunting.

Will, I see there are some late season dates: Oct. 9 - Oct. 31 ans another Dec 8 - Jan 15. Maybe I'll get an invite to shoot at a couple during one of those dates. It could happen...one can only hope.