Suggestions Solicited: Content Recommendations for a Lite Trauma Bag.

I am no EMT or Paramedic, but given my recent ambulance ride to the ER for a pulmonary embolism along with my advancing age I have decided to stock small trauma bags to be put in both vehicle in the event that I either need to save my wife, or she needs to save me. I have picked up some first responder knowledge in the Marine Corps, police department, and elsewhere. Realizing that I can go overboard, I am looking for informed recommendations as to what to stock the bags with. Here is what I have so far:

1. CPR Mask for adult & children

2. Adventure Medical Kits Trauma Pak First Aid Kit with Quickclot Sponge which includes:

•      1- Quickclot Gauze 3" x 24"
  •      1- Trauma Pad 5" x 9"
  •      2- Nitrile Gloves
  •      1- Duct Tape
  •      1- Triangular Bandage
  •      2- Sterile Gauze Dressing 4" x 4"
  •      2- Sterile Gauze Dressing 2" x 2"
  •      1- Conforming Gauze Bandage 3"
  •      6- Antiseptic Wipes
  •      1- Trauma Response Instructions

3. Recon Medical Trauma Kit which includes 1 each of:

• Gen 4 Tourniquet
  • 7.5" Titanium Bonded Trauma Shears
  • 4" Pressure Trauma Bandage
  • Compressed Gauze
  • Chest Seal
  • Rescue Blanket

4. Cohesive Tape

5. Bleed Stop (since I am now on blood thinners)

6. 36" Splint

7. Nitrile Gloves for my huge hands

Is there anything that I am reasonably missing?

I played EMT in the Memphis area for 12 years and I’ve seen a few things. DO NOT use items or procedures beyond your training. That will get you in legal trouble very quickly. With that said I carry a kit from North American Rescue. My kit ran just over $1,700. You don’t need much. I have made due with a semi clean tee shirts and a few menstrual pads. These are sterile and absorb lots of fluids. As long as you DO NOT exceed your training the Good Samaritan laws cover you very well. 

give these folks a look, https://www.narescue.com/

19 hours ago, derf said:

I played EMT in the Memphis area for 12 years and I’ve seen a few things. DO NOT use items or procedures beyond your training. That will get you in legal trouble very quickly. With that said I carry a kit from North American Rescue. My kit ran just over $1,700. You don’t need much. I have made due with a semi clean tee shirts and a few menstrual pads. These are sterile and absorb lots of fluids. As long as you DO NOT exceed your training the Good Samaritan laws cover you very well. 

give these folks a look, https://www.narescue.com/

This isn't necessarily for others; it's for my wife and I.

Edited by E4 No More

That's a pretty good set up for the layman to have.  No need having a bunch of stuff you don't how to use.  Depending on what your/your wife's medical history is might add a small medicine pouch.  Baby aspirin for chest pain, benadryl for mild allergic reactions.  Maybe a Sawyer extractor for snake bites or insect stings.  Bottle or spray can of wound wash.  I'm an RN/medic so I carry way too much stuff in my truck but you have a great kit.

• Like 1

You may want to add more items ro stop a bleed, depending on the trauma you're willing/prepared to take on.  My wife (a nurse) just had to dig into her kit this past weekend while out of town when she and 2 other nurses  rolled up on a large accident on the highway.   What they needed most while waiting for EMTS to show up was multiple pairs of gloves, tons of gauze and irrigation. 

• Like 1
16 hours ago, pitt2magic said:

That's a pretty good set up for the layman to have.  No need having a bunch of stuff you don't how to use.  Depending on what your/your wife's medical history is might add a small medicine pouch.  Baby aspirin for chest pain, benadryl for mild allergic reactions.  Maybe a Sawyer extractor for snake bites or insect stings.  Bottle or spray can of wound wash.  I'm an RN/medic so I carry way too much stuff in my truck but you have a great kit.

Thanks. I was planning on adding some OTC medicine, Bandaids, and such to the kit as well. The wound wash is a good call that I obviously forgot about.

I am actually a chiropractor that hasn't practiced the trade in 21 years, but I still retain quite a bit of knowledge and thus I am bound by Good Samaritan laws to help at an accident scene where I can. My wife, on the other hand, knows little about it, but I am encouraging her to to view videos as to how to use the items in the bag and also gain knowledge on CPR although I doubt she's physically capable of performing it on someone including me. She has no cartilage in her knees and couldn't stand the pain to administer CPR to someone on the ground until paramedics arrived. If it were me on the ground I would hope that adrenaline would help her out, but I'm not counting on it. 😞 She'd probably be limited to applying a pressure bandage or slapping a seal on a sucking chest wound.

• Like 1