MEC 600 Jr MK V Two Questions

I bought my first MEC 600 Jr back in 1965, so they are not a "new toy" to me. In fact, I have two set up for .410, one for 20 gauge, one for 16 gauge, and one for 12 gauge. So I'm not exactly a novice at loading shotgun shells with a MEC 600 Jr. However, it has been a while since I loaded any .410 and they can be tricky little devils. I have the standard MEC charge bar in there for the 2 1/2" shells. This charge bar is supposed to throw 1/2 ounce of lead shot and whatever powder bushing your load calls for. This bar feels like it is dragging! Instead of sliding back and forth like my other machines, I practically have to bruise the heel of my hand, going in both directions to get it to throw shot or powder. I think I may have it figured out, but wanted to run it past you guys. The rubber grommets for both the shot and powder bottles are old and hard. As you know there is a thin brass washer under the powder bushing. I'm kinda thinking the hardness prevents the knobs on top of this washer from sinking into the rubber grommet. Therefore, when I tighten the powder bottle down, it forces the brass washer to be pressed too hard on top of the charge bar. Another thought, is that the rubber insert in the shot orifice/hole is dragging on the bar frame also. What do you guys think? Have any of you had that problem?

Second question is, what method do you use to enlarge the "shot orifice/hole" in your bar so that it will throw the published load? I understand that shot weight that will fit into that hole depends on the size of shot you're throwing. And yes, I could just get a universal bar with adjustments, but I'm not totally sold on them yet.

Currently, I weigh every powder charge and every shot charge and adjust them to the exact published load! That sure makes the MEC 600 Jr a "slow" loader! Thanks for your words of wisdom, comments, opinions or plain old WAGs.

Pretty much only #9 shot works "right" when loading 410 shells on my MEC. What size shot are you trying to load? If it's bigger than #9 shot, that's likely the first issue.

Second suggestion would be to tighten the shot & powder bottles down lightly. Don't screw them on super hard.

Thirdly, does your charge bar have the rubber/polymer insert for the shot side? (See image) if not, those old solid bars 'cut' the shot as you try to slide the bar making it hard to move it. Try getting the newer style; it helps.

20210906_223319.jpg

2 hours ago, Frog4aday said:

Pretty much only #9 shot works "right" when loading 410 shells on my MEC. What size shot are you trying to load? If it's bigger than #9 shot, that's likely the first issue.

Second suggestion would be to tighten the shot & powder bottles down lightly. Don't screw them on super hard.

Thirdly, does your charge bar have the rubber/polymer insert for the shot side? (See image) if not, those old solid bars 'cut' the shot as you try to slide the bar making it hard to move it. Try getting the newer style; it helps.

20210906_223319.jpg

Frog4aday, thanks for your response. I think I have the problem solved...maybe. I'm loading #6 squirrel shot and I did try loosening the bottles and then tightening gently. I do have that rubber insert and it seemed to be the problem. I took it out and flat sanded the top a little and it seems to be much better. Not loosey goosey, but 100% better than what it was. Thanks again.

• Like 1