Open Carry - anyone doing it now?

user1776

On 9/7/2021 at 2:34 PM, bersaguy said:

I have never open carried and never will. It is just an advertisement for a bad guy to shoot me 1st. The only people outside of my family and my doctor and staff know that I carry. Most times if I have a belt holster I'm wearing a long loose shirt or light jacket. If I have my shoulder holster on normally I have on a light windbreaker.

This is just my opinion on OC. I think if you do see an open carry chances are he/she is a new gun owner or does not have an HCP and is using the new law just to show off mostly and probably never thought they might be a target for a bad guy!!

Sorry there is no data showing that one open carrying is the first target nor does it make sense.  Bad guys generally want as few confrontations possible.  The likely hood of one getting shot and not being able to return fire is more like the movies than real life and few bad guys are looking to get in a gun fight.  What if a bad guy comes into a restaurant and armed cop is setting there? Do you think they are the first target or will the bad guy go find a easier place to rob.  I have never heard of someone being targeted first because they were armed. I also does not seem reasonable that a bad guy would scan the crowd looking to take out someone armed.  Its more likely if the bad guy sees someone armed they will pick a easier target.  The times I have OP was with a G26 that very few people even could see more less a bad guy making me the first target.  

• Like 3

Data is like polls, you can make it what you want. Everybody has the right to decide for themselves. Personally, I will only CC. Just because you have a visible weapon, doesn't mean you can't be approached from behind. I prefer to at least have some element of surprise, and survival.

How about a link to the data?

• Like 1

I am not sure where you guys live but the few times I have OCed no one noticed that I could tell.  A G26 up tight on my waste is neither a "I have a gun so I am bad" thing or anything else other than I got hot and had to take off my jacket thing.  No one has ever said something or eyed me in any way that would not seem normal.  

3 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Data is like polls, you can make it what you want. Everybody has the right to decide for themselves. Personally, I will only CC. Just because you have a visible weapon, doesn't mean you can't be approached from behind. I prefer to at least have some element of surprise, and survival.

How about a link to the data?

I said there was no data that I can find so there is no link.  Just because you are CC does not mean you cannot be approached from behind.  Please someone find me a story of someone that was targeted first only because they were open carrying.  

2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

Police OC, they get ambushed regularly. It's on the news.

No kidding, but not by someone wanting to rob a place and decide to take out the cop first.  Ambushing a cop and targeting someone that is open carrying while committing another crime are two different things.  

24 minutes ago, 45guy said:

No kidding, but not by someone wanting to rob a place and decide to take out the cop first.  Ambushing a cop and targeting someone that is open carrying while committing another crime are two different things.  

Since you're the expert on ambush, I'll not continue the argument. And yes, I have been on the bad side of an ambush.

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

I don't have a problem with people that do OC but, I prefer not to. 

This is generally where I stand, but for those that OC like the kind of folks @Murgatroymentioned with their floppy Uncle Mike’s holster looking like a bag of smashed assholes, let it be know that I’m judging them very harshly along with everyone else. 

• Like 7
  • Haha 1
31 minutes ago, Grunt67 said:

Since you're the expert on ambush, I'll not continue the argument. And yes, I have been on the bad side of an ambush.

I have as well, but it was not because i was open carrying, which is what we are talking about.  Not an expert just a little common sense. 

19 minutes ago, Chucktshoes said:

This is generally where I stand, but for those that OC like the kind of folks @Murgatroymentioned with their floppy Uncle Mike’s holster looking like a bag of smashed assholes, let it be know that I’m judging them very harshly along with everyone else. 

I agree, Just not seen anyone open carrying like that. 

14 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Sheesh, if one is going to open carry, the holster ought to match the boots.  Style is half the battle.

Just last weekend, I saw someone "toting" a pistol in a nylon holster that was dangling on a nylon belt cinched over his his long, untucked t-shirt.  It looked like he was wearing a tunic and made both my wife and I laugh.

Edited by Swamp ash
  • Haha 4
18 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

We judge them oh so hard. It has become a game for me and my daughter to see who can spot the gun first when we go out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

nah. im in agreement with the others, dont need to show it unless i have to. if someone sees the grip or iwb clip under my shirt thats fine. too many sheep in this country that piss themselves at the sight of a gun and i dont want them to cause a scene. 

• Like 2

Never Carried openly and never will. I'm just waiting for someone under the new law to be in a shooting and see how it goes for them. I can just see the DA asking if he/ she has a permit to carry and have they taken the outlined state requirements for a permit, then he/ she responds: "No I just purchased the gun two days ago stuck in a holster/ purse and well I shot him."  DA- "were you in fear of your life when you shot him" Defendant- "well he was bothering me while I was having my fourth High Ball, and well I had enough of it". 

On 9/9/2021 at 2:51 PM, 45guy said:

I am not sure where you guys live but the few times I have OCed no one noticed that I could tell.  A G26 up tight on my waste is neither a "I have a gun so I am bad" thing or anything else other than I got hot and had to take off my jacket thing.  No one has ever said something or eyed me in any way that would not seem normal.  

Not saying this is you, but 95% of the OCers I see fit the Fudd category or look like they got their first gun last Wednesday.  A $5 holster and they don’t seem to notice or care that someone is standing 12” behind them.  I think my daughter could disarm many of them.  They probably tell everybody nobody notices their gun or has ever said anything to them.  

• Like 1
2 hours ago, deerslayer said:

Not saying this is you, but 95% of the OCers I see fit the Fudd category or look like they got their first gun last Wednesday.  A $5 holster and they don’t seem to notice or care that someone is standing 12” behind them.  I think my daughter could disarm many of them.  They probably tell everybody nobody notices their gun or has ever said anything to them.  

I live in east tn.  I have never seen someone open carrying in a reckless or manner.  It seems some here may think that if you open carry at all your being reckless but not me.  I am 6'2 and weigh 195 lbs with a 32 inch waist, it is very tough to conceal carry in the summer.  I end up with a ankle holster most of the time.  In the winter I use a OSWB with a light jacket.  The biggest problem with ankle carry is that it is hard to draw my firearm inconspicuously.  The good part is if I am sitting down it is easier to get to than on the waist.  If standing I have been able to draw and fire in under 2 seconds.  Open carrying is by far the fastest and easiest way to access a firearm.  I guess that's part of the reason LE OC.   

• Like 1
5 hours ago, 45guy said:

I am 6'2 and weigh 195 lbs with a 32 inch waist, it is very tough to conceal carry in the summer.    

I’m 5’10/180 and can easily and comfortably conceal a Glock 48 or Springfield EMP IWB under just a t-shirt all day long.  Usually the fat guys are the one complaining about concealing IWB.  

Edited by deerslayer
  • Like 1