Tick balls

Swamp ash

1 hour ago, Omega said:

Only ever had one get that close, and it stopped at the groin before it attached.

Yeah, these were the sub-millimeter sized "seed ticks". Apparently they needed to become engorged to be more visible 😒

I can usually find the normal-sized ones quickly, but these are wicked.

34 minutes ago, E4 No More said:

I had one latch on to the back of my sack. It was far enough back that my wife had to pull it out. She was really grossed out about it - the tick; not my balls. 🙂

Between being married to me and raising two sons, my wife considers it normal.☺️

• Like 2
  • Haha 3
17 hours ago, Erik88 said:

If you haven't pulled a tick off your sack have you even lived? 🙂

That's fairly normal if you spend a decent amount of time in the woods around here.

Yes, last year I had about 600 trail-hours in the woods (typically we hit ~500 hours) so I've been gnawed upon with great regularity. However, it still makes me cringe every time. Especially those tiny ticks that are numerous.

• Admin Team
20 hours ago, Erik88 said:

I've been lucky enough to avoid chiggers. I'm trying to avoid that lone star tick that keeps you from being able to ever eat red meat again. 

I learned not too long ago that ticks generally need to be attached more than 48 hours to transmit most tick-borne illnesses - Lyme disease, etc.

So long as you're pretty careful about checking yourself after you come out of the woods and take a shower - you really don't have much to worry about.

I wish I had learned this sooner than I did - I would have spent a lot less time thinking about it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yeah seed ticks, we need a national effort to eradicate those things. got into a bunch when I was 18 and took weeks to get them all. I have moles that size everywhere and plenty hair to hide the ones that have yet to attach. hope y'all never sit down on the toilet after a long day in the field to see an army climbing your legs.

They are clear until your blood is in them

• Like 1

oh I forgot. went to Oklahoma to train national guard troops. home of the ticks. wore flea/tick collars on both boots the entire time I was there. Who else knows that ticks will climb tent poles and drop on heat sources? freakin airborne attack!

I was at Ft. Stewart, Ga in a formation when a Colonel called out a Lieutenant who had flea collars on both boots and lips smeared with a white cream.  One of the few times I saw an officer chewed out in front of troops in my 20 year career.

We all ate dirt which was better than the chow.  Bugs, hogs, snakes, alligators…all part of the job.  Armored cav.

Edited by Beltfed
  • Like 1
41 minutes ago, Quavodus said:

Got some chigger ankles today. No ticks though. 

There is some chit I get, about once a year, that I haven’t figured out what it is. It happens roughly this time of the year, and doesn’t happen again for 365 days, give or take. Dozens of itchy bumps show up. After a day or two, the bumps develop a small blister on top. Once that blister is scratched off, that particular bump quits itching and goes away.

This is different from the usual ticks, chiggers, poison ivy/oak. If anybody knows what causes this, I’d sure love to know.

13 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

There is some chit I get, about once a year, that I haven’t figured out what it is. It happens roughly this time of the year, and doesn’t happen again for 365 days, give or take. Dozens of itchy bumps show up. After a day or two, the bumps develop a small blister on top. Once that blister is scratched off, that particular bump quits itching and goes away.

This is different from the usual ticks, chiggers, poison ivy/oak. If anybody knows what causes this, I’d sure love to know.

7 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

Fire ants do that to me.

Same here.  Fire ants do that to me but usually last a little longer than 2 days.

1 hour ago, KahrMan said:

Same here.  Fire ants do that to me but usually last a little longer than 2 days.

If we have fire ants, I was not aware of it. Hmm… 

Looking at google images, it appears to be a match. You’d think one would feel that at the time.

Edited by gregintenn
  • Like 1