AR round recommendations? favorites?

19_A_CPT

Getting ready to build a black rifle for a non-profit to raffle off and was just wondering what the average Joe's go-to would be for an all around shooting/hunting round through the AR? 

Looking for pros/cons of 300 BLK, 350 Legend, 450 Bushmaster, 458 SOCOM.. Trying to stay away from the .223 chambering. 

Looking for recommendations on what caliber would raffle well out of the AR platform. 

Edited by 19_A_CPT

If it is going to be an all around hunting rig then you are probably best to stay with .308.  

Probably a lot more options when it comes to building a .308 AR verse any of those other calibers.

For the hunter the .308 is probably the easiest of the listed calibers to find and it is extremely versatile depending if you are using light or heavy bullets.

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, KahrMan said:

If it is going to be an all around hunting rig then you are probably best to stay with .308.  

Probably a lot more options when it comes to building a .308 AR verse any of those other calibers.

For the hunter the .308 is probably the easiest of the listed calibers to find and it is extremely versatile depending if you are using light or heavy bullets.

That is an option as well. Was thinking AR15 but may dip into the AR10 field as well. 

25 minutes ago, 19_A_CPT said:

Would like to know what the best would be. 

I initially thought just go with 5.56/.223 as ammo is going to be a lot easier to find, regardless of the current situation, but taking a chance for the cost of a ticket on something one normally would not buy could have appeal as well.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, user1776 said:

7.62x39 AR15 would be my suggestion. 

4 minutes ago, user1776 said:

7.62x39 AR15 would be my suggestion. 

I built one for my wife and its great... What else would be great is if she would actually shoot it. Built it last September or so... still not shot it lol

• Like 1

If ammo availability is an issue, I would get a .350 Legend.  .450 Bushmaster, 6mm Creedmoor, and .350 Legend have been available pretty much every time I go to a store ever since the stupidity started.  Plus it's just a cool round.  

Also, I would think a Blackout would do well in an auction.  

Edited by deerslayer
42 minutes ago, deerslayer said:

If ammo availability is an issue, I would get a .350 Legend.  .450 Bushmaster, 6mm Creedmoor, and .350 Legend have been available pretty much every time I go to a store ever since the stupidity started.  Plus it's just a cool round.  

Also, I would think a Blackout would do well in an auction.  

I have noticed that as well. Im totally not familiar with the Creedmoor and am fine with that. I personally have a 450 Bushmaster that i love but also know the recoil isnt as friendly to some people as other rounds. 

Not to completely hijack the thread, but I want to build another rifle. I have a leftie 5.56 M4 style carbine, a .223 Wylde with a 19” barrel (had to rethread the original 20”) with a match style hand guard, And a carbine length 300BO. 

I kind of want to build something to reach out and touch from a far.  

I am wondering should I stick with the AR15 platform and go with one of the larger calibers that will work. In doing this I could start with just building an upper.  

Or, I could jump to the AR10 platform. I would have to build both the upper and lower. 

i want to start collecting parts, so I need a direction. 

Edited by Snaveba
22 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Not to completely hijack the thread, but I want to build another rifle. I have a leftie 5.56 M4 style carbine, a .223 Wylie with a 19” barrel (had to rethread the original 20”) with a match style hand guard, And a carbine length 300BO. 

I am wondering should I stick with the AR15 platform and go with one of the larger calibers that will work. In doing this I could start with just building an upper.  

Or, I could jump to the AR10 platform. I would have to build both the upper and lower. 

I would most likely suggest an AR10 in a 6.5 Creedmoor or 308. Otherwise 6.5 Grendel would be about the furthest reaching round out of the AR15 platform. 

I'll second the comments suggesting a common caliber.

You've got to remember your audience is larger and wider than a bunch of TGO gun nuts. You're trying to appeal to a broad base to sell more tix. 

If someone approached me today asking to buy a gun raffle tix for 5 bucks I'd be all over it. If you told me the gun was .223 wylde, I'd just give you the 5 bucks. If it was 300 BO I might maintain intetest. Outside that, 5.56 only, keep the rest. Simply not interested in owning one.

• Love 1

Be aware, if you aren't already, AR15 parts compatability is pretty much universal across all makes, brands & chamberings.

AR10, not so much. Certain barrels won't work with certain uppers, barrel nuts have different threads, uppers & lowers need to be matching styles etc...

5.56/.223 is always going to be the most available & popular round & with modern bullets is a far, far more capable hunting round to much longer range than in the past. 350 leg. would be my next choice just because of ammo availability & it's getting to be well known as a capable deer round. It's downfall is simply cost as a target round, terrible ballistics & lack of reloading options. 

Edited by Handsome Rob
  • Like 2
On 9/9/2021 at 11:12 PM, Snaveba said:

Not to completely hijack the thread, but I want to build another rifle. I have a leftie 5.56 M4 style carbine, a .223 Wylde with a 19” barrel (had to rethread the original 20”) with a match style hand guard, And a carbine length 300BO. 

I love my 6.5 grendel for distance. Load up a harder bullet with less expansion, and it won’t tear up pelts either. Great round imo. Works well with a can too

• Like 1

Here is an idea, 223/556 WITH a .22 conversion kit. That will appeal to way more people than just a 1 caliber rifle. 

May sell more tickets adding the .22 conversion kit to a 223/556 build. 

My personal opinion, 300blk.......

Edited by kwe45919
  • Like 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, kwe45919 said:

Here is an idea, 223/556 WITH a .22 conversion kit. That will appeal to way more people than just a 1 caliber rifle. 

May sell more tickets adding the .22 conversion kit to a 223/556 build. 

My personal opinion, 300blk.......

Ditto. I love shooting mine with 22LR. Not a lot more cost ($150-$200) but adds cheap plinking possibilities. 

I use dedicated uppers for 22LR.
CMMG barrels/bolts with Black Dog Machine metal lipped mags.
Nary a failure of any kind after many rounds.
But I keep them clean also. 22LR is kinda nasty ya know.

Side note ....
If you've never built a rimfire upper, don't make the mistake of going into it thinking it'll cost less than centerfire.
It won't. 🙂

ETA ...
For the reader at large ...
Also note Handsome Rob's post above.
IMHO, ammo choice is the key to .223/5.56.
A lot of folks might only be familiar with 55gr FMJ.
That's like maybe the WORST choice available for hunting and/or target shooting.
It's good for "centerfire plinking", aka dirt clod shooting, I suppose. 
Not even then if you care about hitting what you're shooting at.
Isn't the .gov spec for fmj like 4MOA?

MANY choices available with MUCH better results.
As always, YMMV

Edited by DL126

6.8 SPC or .277 Wolverine (just cause it sounds cool). For a big bore I went with .50 Beowulf. If I were telling someone to build a big bore, I would probably say .450 Bushmaster, it will be the easiest to get ammo for and big bores are fun. .458 SOCOM for a reloaded since they have a wide variety of .45-70 bullets. Both are better options than the .50... but I wanted a .50. In reality I know I would have been better with something else, but the heart wants what the heart wants. 
To answer the question, with the options you listed, as a decent all around gun, .300 Blackout. Best variety of factory loaded ammo, from plinking to subsonic, to hunting ammo. Strong second would be .350 Legend, but I don’t think it has quite the versatility the Blackout does.