Hatfield SAS Cycling Problems anyone got a fix?

Sidewinder

Please don't tell me to ditch it and get a Remington 1100. I have a few of those and enjoy them as fine guns. I bought the Hatfield SAS Semi-Automatic .410 (Remington 1100 knockoff) realizing it was a budget gun. According to the person I bought it from, it had exactly 6 shells ran through it. The person admitted that it would cycle 3" game loads, but had problems cycling the 2 1/2" target loads. I have fired this gun several times and have found that it will cycle my reloaded 2 1/2"  shells, but is unreliable in cycling factory loaded Winchester AA  2 1/2" MAX Dr. Eq. 1/2 ounce #9 shot Target Loads. Often times, it will cycle the first two shells and will fail to put the third shell in the chamber and the bolt into battery. Just for information... the gun is still quite tight and the recoil spring is quite heavy. Possibly, this gun will cycle like a Remington 1100 after two or three boxes of shells have been ran through it.

What I'm hoping to find out here, is information from other Hatfield SA .410 owners as to their experiences with this make and model gun, specifically in the .410 version. I have watched some U-tube videos on this gun and the other larger gauges don't seem to have this problem. I'm trying to find out from real Hatfield SA .410 owners if this gun will eventually loosen up and cycle reliably, or if it's a "no go" gun. Thanks in advance for any information that is willingly shared.

Edited by Sidewinder
  • Admin Team

I'd guess you're either oversprung or something is dragging enough to make it not cycle on the amount of gas you've got from 2 1/2's.

Does it run better with more lubricant?

If I couldn't find evidence of a part rubbing where it shouldn't - I think I'd oil the heck out of it and run it dirty for a few hundred rounds.  Let the oil and the abrasive from the fouling polish whatever needs polishing.

It could certainly be oversprung. If a replacement spring were cheap enough, I might buy one and take a coil or two off.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, MacGyver said:

I'd guess you're either oversprung or something is dragging enough to make it not cycle on the amount of gas you've got from 2 1/2's.

Does it run better with more lubricant?

If I couldn't find evidence of a part rubbing where it shouldn't - I think I'd oil the heck out of it and run it dirty for a few hundred rounds.  Let the oil and the abrasive from the fouling polish whatever needs polishing.

It could certainly be oversprung. If a replacement spring were cheap enough, I might buy one and take a coil or two off.

MacGyver, thanks for your information. I did find that the top front of the bolt head was shaving some metal off of the top of the receiver. The receiver is aluminum, so it's pretty evident... the bolt is steel...the receiver is aluminum. We know which one is going to give in that situation. I took a stone and polished that sharp edge on the bolt. This seems to help some, but didn't completely solve the problem. To answer your question... I have disassembled the gun and cleaned and "lightly" lubed all contact surfaces. I will try over oiling and more rounds through it. There are two versions of this model Hatfield. This one is the first (earlier) version. I know there was a change in the bolt release and possibly a change in the piston that actuates the action. Thanks again for your help.

11 minutes ago, Beltfed said:

I would suggest grease instead of oil.  Lubriplate would be a good suggestion.  The above info is good as all firearms need breaking in.

Beltfed, thanks for your reply. You may have a point there. I don't have any Lubriplate grease, but if you know where I can buy some, please let me know. Thanks again for your suggestion. I will try it.

5 hours ago, Beltfed said:

Around here you can find it at Home Depot and some auto parts stores.  
Luriplate is the grease many guys put in the boot of outboard motors as it’s waterproof.  Some guys use Mobil 1 grease.

Thanks for the info. I'll see if I can locate some in a small quantity. I appreciate your help.