Norris Dam Trout Fishing

I took the wife for a “get me out of this house” drive yesterday to Norris Dam. I’ve wanted to check this place out for a while. I’ve read some articles that the trout fishing below the dam is great, with some really nice size fish being there. I didn’t fish yesterday, just a general scouting trip. The river sure looks good and very promising. I’m going to make the next trip a fishing one for sure in the next couple of weeks maybe, before deer season starts at least. I’m thinking heavier gear would be in order since I’m so used to catching stockers with ultralight equipment. I also read that shallow diving crank baits or stick like baits similar to the rapala is really productive. Anyone here fished there? Any tips would be appreciated. Not honey holes of course….finding my own fish is part of the fun. Anyways. Ya’ll have a great day and be safe out there. 

Edited by Randall53
  • Admin Team

My in laws live on the river a few miles down river from there.  I’ve always had good luck with in-line spinners - especially the holographic ones from Walmart.  Those are really my go to lure.

Don’t neglect a trout magnet under a float either.  In sections of the river where you’ve got some ripples, they really do catch fish.  

• Like 1
37 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

My in laws live on the river a few miles down river from there.  I’ve always had good luck with in-line spinners - especially the holographic ones from Walmart.  Those are really my go to lure.

Don’t neglect a trout magnet under a float either.  In sections of the river where you’ve got some ripples, they really do catch fish.  

thank you Mac. Do you upgrade your equipment size? I’ve read about some really large trout coming out of there.

• Admin Team

Not typically.  If I do, it's to a 6'6" Light/Fast St. Croix on a 2500 size reel.  I'm still generally running light braid and light leader to get good casting distance from the tiny stuff.  You can have a whole lot of fun fishing that stretch on an ultralight rig.  The last few times I've fished it, it's been on a 7' Panfish rod with a 1000 size reel running 6# suffix ghost and 2# or 4# fluorocarbon up front as a leader.  You've got to really dial down your drag - but even small fish are a lot of fun.

There are some big trout coming out of there.  TWRA has done a good job managing our various fisheries over the last few years - we're really starting to see some trophies come out of some of our streams.

34 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

Not typically.  If I do, it's to a 6'6" Light/Fast St. Croix on a 2500 size reel.  I'm still generally running light braid and light leader to get good casting distance from the tiny stuff.  You can have a whole lot of fun fishing that stretch on an ultralight rig.  The last few times I've fished it, it's been on a 7' Panfish rod with a 1000 size reel running 6# suffix ghost and 2# or 4# fluorocarbon up front as a leader.  You've got to really dial down your drag - but even small fish are a lot of fun.

There are some big trout coming out of there.  TWRA has done a good job managing our various fisheries over the last few years - we're really starting to see some trophies come out of some of our streams.

I’ve never run braid on my light reels, just my heavy bass reels for spinnerbaits and frogs. It’s a great idea though. I’ll rig up a 6’ dock shooting crappie rod like that for Norris. Thanks for the tip! 👍

• Like 1
  • Admin Team

I find running braid helpful because I can feel light bites better. I find a lot of trout to act sort of like crappie - where they take the bait and hold it for a minute before they decide wheat they're going to do with it. I'm sure a better fisherman might be able to do just fine without it.

The 6# Suffix Ghost is a great line though.  It's super thin, strong, and pretty easy to see under lights at night.