PSS American Rifleman - Battle Standards

Good Afternoon All - I wanted to share some standards that I have been developing and vetting over the last several months that I run as a "Combat Conditioning" workout. I believe this is the correct place to post this. So here it goes.

Shane Kerwin - Personal Survival Solutions

The American Rifleman - Battle Standards - Run during my twice weekly Combat Conditioning sessions

There is no cost for this. I have been running them on my own at Montgomery County Shooting Complex (Where I have access). Recently I have had some select folks come out and run them with me.

American Rifleman - Battle Standards

Range and Equipment needed - 100 yard range , 60 rounds of rifle ammo, rifle zero'ed at your prefered distance, extra magazine carrier, cones or yard line markers, and a target that has a defined head and high center chest area (I use Fieldcraft's target)

Standards - 10 evolutions, Overall time 22 minutes or less, No more that 6 fight stopping misses. The chest box and head triangle are good for aiming and scoring, but if it is a fight stopping hit outside of them, it will count. Full misses or periforal hits count as a miss.

Start the time:

100 yards - from standing to seated position - fire 1 shot to the chest. Move to the prone position - fire 1 shot to the chest. So 2 shots at the 100.

Run to 75 yard

75 yards - Traditional Kneeling position - fire 1 shot to the chest.

Run to 50 yard

50 yards - Speed Knee position - fire 1 shot to the chest

Run to 25 yards 

25 yards - Standing position - fire 1 shot to the head

Run to 7 yards

7 yards - Standing postion - fire 1 shot to the head

Run back to the 100 yard line and repeat 9 more time.

I wanted to run something that was a functional workout, shooting/marksmanship, positional shooting, and some type of quantifiable standard to see progress. It is one part of a program I refer to as Combat Conitioning. It is not easy, but anything worth doing isn't. 

I do want to give credit to Reid Henrichs (Valor Ridge). This is an adaptation of his to "Tough 100"

Attached is the target and rifle I ran the Battle Standards with last time I ran them. Overall time was 21:29, with what I consider 5 misses. Cutting it close, but room for improvement.

Give them a try.

Cheers,

Shane

Always Vigilant, Always Prepared

Battle Standards Target 1.jpg

Battle Standards Target.jpg

• Like 2

Shane, that's an interesting test I will need to try.

One question:  When does the timer stop -- after you fire the last shot of the 10th evolution at the 7-yard line, or do you have to make one more sprint back to the 100-yard line while the clock is running?  (Man, 9 sprints of 93 yards is a workout in itself at my age....)

Thanks,

Whisper

• Like 1

Hey Whisper,

I run back to the 100 yard line and stop the time. Mostly because I leave my phone back at the table. 

It is not a easy event. I am not young any longer, that's why I retired and let the young pups handle my old job. Haha 

But it helps me maintain. If you try it, just set a pace and be consistent. Also, taking a few recovery breaths in each postion helps. The first couple circuits are hard, then you get a a pace, then the last 2 get rough again because you know you are almost done.

Have fun with it and let me know how it goes. Cheers.

hipower - definately understand my friend.

On a separate but related note. I've got  a gentleman who has been coming out to run them with me to get back in shape and lose wieght. He has about 100 lbs that he wants to lose. He has some physical limitations, but we works around them. He walks most of it and only does what he can. Some of the positions are diffiecult for him, so we modify it, but he keeps coming out to push himself. it is encouraging to see.

Thanks for the feedback gents. 

Edited by Shane K.
  • Like 2
2 hours ago, Shane K. said:

hipower - definately understand my friend.

On a separate but related note. I've got  a gentleman who has been coming out to run them with me to get back in shape and lose wieght. He has about 100 lbs that he wants to lose. He has some physical limitations, but we works around them. He walks most of it and only does what he can. Some of the positions are diffiecult for him, so we modify it, but he keeps coming out to push himself. it is encouraging to see.

Thanks for the feedback gents. 

Thnks for the encouragement. I have bad neuropathy in my feet. Walking is getting more difficult by the day. Never envisioned this in earlier years. Chemotheraphy drugs can be helpful and deadly at the same time.

• Like 1
12 hours ago, hipower said:

Thnks for the encouragement. I have bad neuropathy in my feet. Walking is getting more difficult by the day. Never envisioned this in earlier years. Chemotheraphy drugs can be helpful and deadly at the same time.

My pleasure hipower. I can understand how that can be tough. We all envision ourselves as always being Good to Go and then age has a funny way of changing that. I know that age is starting to make things harder. By the VA I am 100% disable, but feel blessed that I have all my fingers, toes, and appendages. So I keep plugging along.

I had a gentleman, who is now a friend, in a class I taught who was having troubles holstering his pistol. He shared with me that he had, had a stroke and had neorological issues with feeling and movement. We worked with what he could do and came up with a solution. If he tapped the outside of the holster and then brought the pistol up, down and in, he was successful and safe. Just an example of a limitation and working around it.

If you ever want to get together just let me know, that is what I really enjoy doing. Keep up the good work.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...