Recommendations for blueing

Helping a friend restore his grandfather's old Remington Model 58 shotgun. It needs blueing bad.  He said that he tried to blue it himself years ago, but he can't recall anything about the process that he used.  While money is always a concern, he wants a nice restoration of a family heirloom, so it is not of the utmost importance. Does anyone have recommendations of anywhere local that does this kind of work?IMG_20210922_072953.thumb.jpg.639e80d1ab89bc579ddbe3185121b258.jpgIMG_20210922_072956.thumb.jpg.07a8061a9bf53a3f25271e2288f7bcce.jpg

Edited by 10-Ring

The gun shows honest wear. The trigger housing looks to be an aluminum alloy and would require a completely different process. Probably anodizing. 

There are companies that can do a wonderful  job of restoring that gun. But they ain't cheap and would require shipping the gun to them.  Ford's come to mind, 

Refinishing is an art unto itself. Many excellent gunsmiths can fix almost any problem, but can't refinish worth a chit.  I would be very leary of any local  gunsmith unless they specialize in hot blue refinishing. Even then, I'd want to see examples of their work.  My concern with a local gunsmith would be that nice engraving. If you mistakenly give it to some hack, he'll likely polish the gun on a power wheel  to save time and ruin that lovely scene along with the rollmarks. 

If you want to try a DIY finish, I go along with xsubsailor, Blue Wonder is an excellent product which can give amazing results. Be sure to read and follow the directions to the letter. Hand polish all metal surfaces being very careful to not damage the markings or engraving.  I already mention that trigger housing. 

Personally,  I'd leave it alone. Its honest wear showing a history of use in the family. 

Edit to add: I understand that your friend plans on keeping the gun. But be aware that a refinish, especially a poorly done refinish, always lessens the value of a gun by half or more.  Collectors like all original guns and will pay top dollar for one even with a badly worn finish. I have several rare and valuable guns in my collection that I was only able to afford because they had been refinished. 

Edited by Grayfox54

My 2 cents.... This gun does not have honest ware on it. Clearly, some one has all ready sanded the original finish off by a quick glance at it. Thats a HUGE consideration in this project. Sadly Gf54 is right in his assessment of what passes for a reblue from buffing wheel hacks. That has been true for ever. I did Hot bluing of blued & Stainless guns for over 10 years and it is definitely a talent in knowing how to keep a radius curve and a flat flat and equally importantly, the defined edge between them. In gunsmithing school, we spent alot of time on exactly what a factory blue consisted of in metal surfacing and how to reproduce the same. Just the variety of high quality belt sanding belts needed is no small change along with at least 4 buffing wheel types and grits as pictured.  Normaly I would agree to keep it as is but its not original patina by any stretch of the imagination along with the pitting coverage. If the gun has a good clean bore and is in good running condition, I would do it if it were my gun as long as you find a reputable smith that specializes in restorations. The trigger guard could probably be black ceracoated maybe? I never did that stuff. If I ever get retired from retired...... maybe.

hQ2KQ5Xl.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

It's a bit of extra work, but call Gareth at GTS customizing (307-259-9887)

He's based out of  Casper, WY. and specializes in restoration. He did all the bluing & care color hardening on my Winchester 70 & I literally cannot find a fault anywhere. He does metal AND furniture refinishing & is surprisingly affordable. He doesn't have a website, but can be found on Facebook. 

https://www.facebook.com/Gtscustomizing/