I want a lever action rifle.

Snaveba

21 hours ago, jaytex1969 said:

I hope you enablin' bastards are pleased with yourselves..... 😝

You know how folks print up business cards and list initials after their name for their accomplishments?  (ie. PhD, etc.)  Well, we can all print cards and have "EB" after our names for "enablin' bastards."  Oh Boy!!!

• Haha 5
  • 3 weeks later...

So, if one was looking to add to their collection, say a Marlin 36 or 336, and currently, one has levers in calibers .30-30, .32WS, and 44mag, should said new Marlin be in an existing caliber (.30-30 or 32WS) or maybe something new like 35 Remington? Or some other pistol caliber?

Thoughts?

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

So, if one was looking to add to their collection, say a Marlin 36 or 336, and currently, one has levers in calibers .30-30, .32WS, and 44mag, should said new Marlin be in an existing caliber (.30-30 or 32WS) or maybe something new like 35 Remington? Or some other pistol caliber?

Thoughts?

I had a Marlin in .35 Remington for years. Good gun, good cartridge. Wish I still had it but I have no idea about availability of ammo today. Old ones would be preferable even if more expensive.

14 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Thoughts?

I'd go with a .357 (.38spl) or .22, those, with what you have,  are kind of the meat and potatoes of levers. 

• Like 1
57 minutes ago, Snaveba said:

Thoughts?

I don’t see a 22lr on your list. I’d suggest searching out a 39A if you’re a Marlin guy. You won’t be sorry.

• Like 1
On 1/17/2023 at 8:13 PM, Grayfox54 said:

That would be the Winchester Model 1887. Originals are a might pricey. 🙄 However, several companies offer clones. But they still ain't cheap. 

https://taylorsfirearms.com/long-guns/shotguns/1887-lever-action-shotgun.html

I have a friend who owns an 1887. My opinion of it is it’s big, heavy, awkward, and clunky. It has all the handling characteristics of a 6x6 post.

To be fair, however, I have the same opinion of the model 88 Winchester.

I love me some Winchesters, but not these two models. Your mileage may vary.

1 hour ago, Snaveba said:

Thoughts?

My cousin has a 30+ year old Marlin 336 in .30 - 30 that he keeps behind seat of his truck.  I recently did some work on it for him and was very impressed at how simple and durable it is constructed.  I believe if I was gonna get another lever, this would be the one.  

Although I would agree with Greg that if you want .22lr that Marlin 39A is fabulous.  

I am a collector, with an especially soft spot for Marlins and Winchesters. If I could only have one, it would be a model 94 or equivalent from one of those two manufacturers, carbine length, 357Mag. 

Marlin, Winchester or Rossi on a budget because these are more or less true to the classic design. Get one without a cross-bolt safety if possible, which is going to push your budget up towards $1000+. Don't get a Henry (fine rifles, I own several) unless it is a side gate loader. Nothing is more un-John Wayne than pulling a magazine tube sleeve out the front of your manly rifle and loading cartridges in the nose like a kid's .22LR. This is your one lever gun; get the whole and proper experience.

Carbine length to enjoy the handy nature of this lovely rifle. Rifles get front heavy and if you ever want to play from horseback or in cowboy action you'll wish it were shorter.

357Mag because 38Spc is just about the cheapest way you can enjoy a centerfire lever gun, and you still have the 357Mag on tap to take down game if you want. 

Enjoy! The lever gun is one of the best things about shooting, period.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m leaning towards the Model 36/336 because I want a lever with the “pistol” grip stock since I have three Winchester model 94s and a Rossi model 92. I don’t think it was ever offered on .357. The standard .30-30 I suppose it makes sense if I am sticking with a center fire (since I already have 2 and ammo is not too crazy $) .  However, for some reason, part of me wants a new caliber and .35 Remington just sounds cool. 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, Snaveba said:

I’m leaning towards the Model 36/336 because I want a lever with the “pistol” grip stock since I have three Winchester model 94s and a Rossi model 92. I don’t think it was ever offered on .357. The standard .30-30 I suppose it makes sense if I am sticking with a center fire (since I already have 2 and ammo is not too crazy $) .  However, for some reason, part of me wants a new caliber and .35 Remington just sounds cool. 

Had a tricked out 336 that my brother-in-law built. Sweet little rifle! Wish I'd never let him buy it back!

But a man of your stature should just go and get a Marlin! You know you want it. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I am the proud owner of a 1969 built Marlin 336RC in .30-30. It came with a vintage (I hope 1969) Weaver K4 scope mounted and a sling. The bluing is in great shape and the wood is beautiful. It doesn’t look like anyone ever made the mistake of adding varnish to the wood.  I think it is almost as pretty and nice as the ‘25 Model 94. 

ECE8EB47-D17B-4DD2-8568-139B7E4C8D4B.jpeg.09e6404f317498d0ed62432716ba1bd5.jpeg

91B4CB70-E032-414F-AB0F-4D270CFC046A.jpeg.cb2c97df33c3573f12bbd19f86baae17.jpeg

FAD72C1C-D913-4239-BA06-7EBFD41A52E5.jpeg.0072c1c8f5e90ae18d723375d1aa2d89.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1