Opossum Killing My Chickens?

E4 No More

I have lost two chickens over the years to possum's. They were silkies, which are know for being very gentle and tame. I actually had one of the "kills" on a game camera inside the coop. As for possums getting a pass because they eat ticks, not around here they don't. As long as they're raiding turkey nests, they'll get a rimfire round. I can't remember where the link was about them eating ticks, but what I read was it a controlled environment study. The possum was trapped and only feed ticks to survive. 

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, mikegideon said:

I have had barbecued raccoon, and it was actually good. Not sure I could eat a possum. They're pretty nasty critters.

If you’ve ever seen a possum crawl out of a bloated, dead cow’s arse, all slicked over with maggots rolling off him, you really wouldn’t find them very appetizing.

• Haha 2
9 minutes ago, gregintenn said:

If you’ve ever seen a possum crawl out of a bloated, dead cow’s arse, all slicked over with maggots rolling off him, you really wouldn’t find them very appetizing.

I'm a country boy. Possums have taken me way past "I'm never eating that".

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Admin Team
1 hour ago, mikegideon said:

I have had barbecued raccoon, and it was actually good. Not sure I could eat a possum. They're pretty nasty critters.

I'd have to be hungry - but I can attest after a week in the field in a survival situation - you're hungry. And, fire kills everything.  I'd probably fire it before I even skinned it.  Easier to keep all the cow juice out of the cuts you almost certainly have on your hands.

16 minutes ago, MacGyver said:

I'd have to be hungry - but I can attest after a week in the field in a survival situation - you're hungry. And, fire kills everything.  I'd probably fire it before I even skinned it.  Easier to keep all the cow juice out of the cuts you almost certainly have on your hands.

I think it'd be a minute before I was THAT hungry. 🤮

24 minutes ago, Swamp ash said:

As a country boy in Georgia, I ate squirrel brains; as a fancy-pants in a French restaurant, I ate escargot.

With both, garlic is the answer.

My Granny would eat squirrel brains. She came from a time where nothing was wasted. I always liked hog brains, cooked with scrambled eggs,  hot biscuits.

• Like 1

My mom told me that when growing up in Minnesota beef tongue was a special treat. Last year I was in Mexico at a nice restaurant and saw beef tongue tacos on the menu and remembered what my mom said. They were outstanding! I had 3-4 different types of meat that night and the beef tongue was the best.  Y'all can keep the squirrel brains...

Edited by Erik88
  • Like 2
10 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

My mom told me that when growing up in Minnesota beef tongue was a special treat. Last year I was in Mexico at a nice restaurant and saw beef tongue tacos on the menu and remembered what my mom said. They were outstanding! I had 3-4 different types of meat that night and the beef tongue was the best.  Y'all can keep the squirrel brains...

The only meat I had in Mexico was beef in tacos. They didn't say which parts. It was great, mainly because of the freshly made tortillas.

10-4 on the squirrel brains. I can do the rest of the squirrel though, even if he died in my arms.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

True. I've seen that happen. Kinda takes you off your feed for a while.

2 hours ago, MacGyver said:

There’s a reason Tabasco is always in the kit. 

I can't remember if I shared this on here or not but your comment reminded me. Somewhere around 1998 my mom, my older brother, and myself flew to Minnesota to see my grandmother. While waiting to connect at the airport we all got hotdogs from a restaurant there. During those years my brother was obsessed with Tabasco and covered his hot dog with it. Fast forward to that night and the 3 of us are sick. My mom and I are HORRIBLY sick and my brother not as bad. We found out there was an E. Coli outbreak in hotdogs and we all likely had it. We can't prove it, but the theory has always been that my brother got least sick because the Tabasco killed some of it!

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, Erik88 said:

I can't remember if I shared this on here or not but your comment reminded me. Somewhere around 1998 my mom, my older brother, and myself flew to Minnesota to see my grandmother. While waiting to connect at the airport we all got hotdogs from a restaurant there. During those years my brother was obsessed with Tabasco and covered his hot dog with it. Fast forward to that night and the 3 of us are sick. My mom and I are HORRIBLY sick and my brother not as bad. We found out there was an E. Coli outbreak in hotdogs and we all likely had it. We can't prove it, but the theory has always been that my brother got least sick because the Tabasco killed some of it!

The vinegar in the hot sauce will kill a lot of things.

1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

I stay away from any food I can't pronounce or spell. Includes food normally thought of as bait.

1 hour ago, Grunt67 said:

I stay away from any food I can't pronounce or spell. Includes food normally thought of as bait.

I dunno. Shrimp is bait and delicious.

• Haha 1