O/U shotguns opinion

steveo50

Completely pointless gun these days with 2 round capacity but I've wanted one for awhile now.. Looking to upgrade my clay gun to something a little higher end, and a nice heirloom shotgun I could give to my son one day. Obviously there's the citori's, but I've really been eying the winchester 101 if I can find one in stock. Looking to spend under 2k, preferentially around 1500. Looking for suggestions, thanks.

• Like 2
3 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Pointless? A proper shotgun should have 2 barrels. There are many fine choices out there. A Citori would be an excellent choice.

Well I guess I was a little harsh with the phrase "completely pointless"

3 hours ago, leroy said:

Take a look at Cherry's Fine Guns…

Good luck with the hunt.

leroy…

Thank you I will look them up

• Like 1

DON'T BUY ANY SHOTGUN UNTIL YOU HAVE HANDLED IT AND PREFABLY SHOT AN EXAMPLE OF THAT BRAND/MODEL.  I would look at the Browning Citori (including the 725) and any of the Beretta 686 models first.  Good time-tested over and unders.  Go to any local shotgun range and see if they have any loaner/rental over and unders for you to try.  Since you are in Maryville go over to Bud's and SMKW to see what shotguns they have in stock for you to look at.  For pricing check out Jaqua's in Ohio and Joel Etchen in Pennsylvania.  Nice people to deal with. 

• Like 3

Another vote for the Beretta 686 series. Just find the one you can't afford & buy it anyway.  LOL!

My O&U is a 20ga CZ. Love that thing & it cost about 1/2 of the Beretta. Of course, it won't bring 1/2 the Beretta on resale either but I have no plans on letting it go. 

Franchi is another brand that is better quality than its price level, IMO. 

My .o2

• Like 2

Can't go wrong with a Citori, my 525 probably has over 15,000+ rounds through it, and it is just as tight today as it was when purchased new 16 years ago.   My brother bought a Ruger Red Label around the same time, and by the time he shot 1,000 rounds, it felt a little loosened up so to speak, still a great gun, but that was a turn off for me in comparison to my Browning.  

• Like 1

I grew up( assuming I ever did), with an old Crescent Arms double, rabbit ear hammers, both bbls wide open. My Pa bought it used to bird hunt with, had my other Pa saw a couple inches off the bbls, hence no choke. I've killed lots of rabbits, squirrels with it, still have it, shoots good. Now, a safe Queen.

Think it was made back in the 1930s.

Edited by Grunt67
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

I grew up( assuming I ever did), with an old Crescent Arms double, rabbit ear hammers, both bbls wide open. My Pa bought it used to bird hunt with, had my other Pa saw a couple inches off the bbls, hence no choke. I've killed lots of rabbits, squirrels with it, still have it, shoots good. Now, a safe Queen.

Think it was made back in the 1930s.

The old Crescent Arms shotguns. I still have my grandfathers single shot 16ga Crescent Arms shotgun. They were great utilitarian guns. 

as for O/Us I agree with what a lot have recommended. The Beretta 686/687 are great guns. You can find them reasonable on the used market if you look around. 

All the advice suggestions are awesome with 1 caveat: you NEED to have it fitted to you. And when you throw a 7 & leave it to someone, THEY'LL need to have it fitted.

I've run the gamut of quality o/u shotguns over the years & I've literally only found 1 that fit me properly & no way on God's green earth could I afford it here (they're kinda cheap in the UK, not so much, stateside) Emilio Rizzini. The only double gun I've ever picked up, ever, that didn't need custom fitting. I tried to find another for my first dove season here, but sticker shock killed me! The one I had in England, I sold for roughly 1/20th of what it would bring here! 😳

Right now, I'm stuck with an old 1187 that's as reliable as a hammer, ugly as a hang nail, heavy & ungainly. But it fits perfectly & I shoot it very well. I'd love to trade it out for a nice sxs, but I'm not prepared to sacrifice efficient accuracy for classy looks & feel. And I can't justify spending the money to have a fitting done. 

• Like 2

From years on the trap & skeet fields, the absolute best over/unders in the price range you are looking at are the Browning Citoris & Beretta 686s. I believe the Citori barrels to be better regulated than the Berettas (had a 28ga that shot shamefully low) but the Berettas fit me better, so that's what I shoot most now. Fit trumps all.

But my Citori was incredible - over 10,000 rounds & still tight & reliable. Another one to seriously consider is the SKBs. Very(!) good shotguns for the money.

Avoid anything that says "Made in Turkey".

Avoid the Ruger Red Labels; they shoot loose too quickly, which is sadly disappointing as Ruger built their rep on rugged, strong guns that were a good value for the money. Somehow they missed the mark on these.

One small suggestion - do NOT get a ported barrel model. The extra noise is a nightmare in the hunting fields.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • 5 months later...

I realize this is an old thread, but I have been in the market to buy a Beretta Silver Snipe, 20 gauge, with modified and full choke barrels. It don't have to be "mint", but would like one in excellent condition. Do you guys think I'll be able to find one around here in Middle Tennessee? I like to be able to , at least, look at one in person and shoot it if possible, before I buy or trade for on any gun.

6 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

I realize this is an old thread, but I have been in the market to buy a Beretta Silver Snipe, 20 gauge, with modified and full choke barrels. It don't have to be "mint", but would like one in excellent condition. Do you guys think I'll be able to find one around here in Middle Tennessee? I like to be able to , at least, look at one in person and shoot it if possible, before I buy or trade for on any gun.

Again, I would suggest a call/drive up to Gamaliel Shooting Supply in Gamaliel, Kentucky. No idea if they have the exact model you seek, but it wouldn't hurt to call and ask.

• Like 1

Go up to Iron Mtn. sporting clays at the 407 exit.  Hang out there and chat up with the shooters...IMO avoid the 101 and Red Label.  I have had both and the recoil is heavier.  The x25 series guns from Browning will serve fine.  The Berettas mentioned will also.  Skeet and trap are not as popular as they once were, but both are fun.  Sporting clays is the main attraction now and it is basically a 12ga game, as is trap.  The 12 can be 'loaded lite' and be just fine for shooters of all ages.  Fit is important, but don't worry too much about it.  The human body is very adaptable as long as one is comfortable in handling the gun, especially with the LOP (length of pull)

• Like 2

I have an older Citori that has many 10's of thousands of rounds through it and only 2 miss fires and zero mechanical issues ( I know I just totally jinx'd it ).  My father has a new Krieghoff K80 and a Beretta that have both had a lot of mechanical issues, but he shoots 2-3 times a week.  Both are beautiful guns, but he has to have backups and spare parts.  The Citori will easily be passed down to my kids.

• Like 2