22 OAL

Why do you think you need the longest OAL?  Or are you just looking for something that will cycle the bolt better?   You wouldn't catch me shooting stingers in any of my guns, but I am pretty picky.

Edited by Hozzie
1 hour ago, Hozzie said:

Why do you think you need the longest OAL?  Or are you just looking for something that will cycle the bolt better?   You wouldn't catch me shooting stingers in any of my guns, but I am pretty picky.

I've used mini mag and stinger for years, had a tackle box gun that wouldn't run anything else.

not sure if longer will help. having feed jam pushing nose under the feed ramp.

2 hours ago, Hozzie said:

Hey, you're one of them there competition guys; do you ever use one of those accurizing dies like the Waltz die? Or do you just purchase competition bullets?

unless both factory mags are bad I don't think it's a mag issue. the Ruger mags are a bit wide but the feed lips are tight. By the way, stingers, winchester, remington and are all doing it. haven't had federal in a while. I'd love to try mini mag and federal match but good luck finding any.

I haven't used the Waltz die, but did think about getting one simply to make some hunting rounds.  

I only use match ammo in competition and for the most part shoot midgrade ammo (SK variants and CCI Standard velocity) for my plinking.  My plinking also mostly consists of shooting at targets for moderate accuracy/precision (NRL, Silhouettes, etc).

At the end of the day, there is no solution to make cheap ammo shoot like expensive ammo.  People have tried all kinds of things including sorting based on weight, length, and even using something like the Waltz die.  It can possibly help make cheap ammo shoot closer to midgrade ammo, but the reason is in simplest terms round to round consistency.  The more expensive you get, the better round to round consistency you get (generalization, but mostly true).

For what I do, even buying expensive ammo doesn't guarantee you anything.  It's really about ammo testing and finding lots of ammo that shoot best in that gun/barrel.  Every barrel/ammo combination is different.

If I was looking to gain some accuracy at a lower cost, I would simply buy something like SK standard plus and even the Norma match has been pretty decent.  It all comes down to time for me.  I would rather shoot than spend time trying to filter out ammo hoping it helps.

If you want to make your ammo better for hunting, the Waltz die is probably worth it.  

As a side note, Bruno's has some cases of 22lr in stock.  I personally like SK Pistol Match overall.  Not the cheapest, but actually not terrible.  Normal price is around $680 for a case, so with free shipping $750 isn't terrible.

https://www.brunoshooters.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=rimfirecase

Edited by Hozzie
1 hour ago, papa61 said:

unless both factory mags are bad I don't think it's a mag issue. the Ruger mags are a bit wide but the feed lips are tight. By the way, stingers, winchester, remington and are all doing it. haven't had federal in a while. I'd love to try mini mag and federal match but good luck finding any.

I would guess it's more of a follower issue and it not being at the optimum angle.  I would bend up the very tips of the magazine just a bit and see if it helps.

Two different things of course, but if the follower can push the round up just slight more, it may solve the issue.

Edited by Hozzie
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, Hozzie said:

I would guess it's more of a follower issue and it not being at the optimum angle.  I would bend up the very tips of the magazine just a bit and see if it helps.

Two different things of course, but if the follower can push the round up just slight more, it may solve the issue.

On that note, have the mags ever been disassembled?  If so, maybe the spring is in the wrong way?

I'm embarrassed RED hit it dead on. I hadn't looked closely at the feed lips. both mags are pinched at the front, one more than the other. I will have to get a new battery for my calipers and see if I can re-align them. At worst it's two new mags. Thank you everyone!

As an extra, the springs can't be put in wrong. round springs fit in front of mag with alignment pins on internal base and follower. plastic followers. followers show only surface wear with no furrows. I got this second hand and have no clue how the lips got bent. very little wear anywhere on this little gun, not even broken in good yet I suspect.

• Like 2
  • 1 month later...
On 9/29/2021 at 5:14 PM, joe4vol said:

Has anyone used this?

Sorry for the long delay.  I have used the Waltz die on several types of ammo and did not note any accuracy increase on average.  Example - 100 CCI Standard Velocity:

100CCIsvEPS.thumb.JPG.7602c1947182dae879c1db52383ed5c7.JPG

But you can use the die to make some rather nasty hollow points.  Left to right - CCI SV, Aguila Interceptor, Aguila Interceptor opened up to a large hollow point.

AguilaInterceptorHP22LR.JPG.afb5b0b1b9c629daa70d32c2bd1d0787.JPG

Edited by billmeek

finally made it to the range today. I polished the feed ramp and straightened the feed lips on both mags. ran both mags with Federal bulk, Winchester red box, Aguila all 40 grain, Aguila bulk and stinger 36 grain. plus a couple more mags of stingers ang fed bulk. not a single malfunction in over 140 rounds. 🙂

I got a Rossi .22 rifle for my birthday. it shoots great. I was surprised by the light clean trigger. rifle shoots great, NOW I get to fix THAT magazine. sure it's a cheap rifle but it works and shoots terrific except for the mag. why build a good firearm and put a cheap piece of crap mag in it? Maybe it will "break in"

I believe the Rossi is the same as the Mossberg 702 Plinkster and can use the same mags... including the 25-round mag.  The only difference between the 2 rifles is the stock.

Check the follower.  Some mags came out of the factory with small burrs on them.

12 hours ago, billmeek said:

I believe the Rossi is the same as the Mossberg 702 Plinkster and can use the same mags... including the 25-round mag.  The only difference between the 2 rifles is the stock.

Check the follower.  Some mags came out of the factory with small burrs on them.

thanks much! it does have a burr on the follower. I hope the 25round plinkster mag will work, that would be great. 

Edited by papa61
On 9/30/2021 at 5:28 AM, RED333 said:

Glad you got it figured out. Be sure to post a range report.

with over 120 rounds down the pipe and zero malfunctions she's good now. hits a bit left and I forgot screwdriver to adjust sights.

SR22_11-27-21.jpg