Early S&W .44 Hand Ejectors

Grayfox54

I am an accumulator of Smith & Wessons. I say accumulator rather than collector simply because I can't afford collector grade guns. The guns I buy may have worn finishes, been refinished, modified in some way or otherwise imperfect. But they are still very serviceable and good examples of their particular model. I buy shooter grade guns and I do shoot them. Granted, some may sit in the safe for a couple years between being fired, but I do shoot everything I own. Ain't no safe queens in my house. 😉

I also tend to focus on a particular type or model.  I find one that's interesting and begin a search for every barrel length or variation of it just to have a full set. I have several of these searches going  at any given time.  

I dearly love the .44 Special cartridge and the guns that use it. I also love the early Smith & Wesson Hand Ejector revolvers. My goal was to get one of each of the named models made before S&W started using model numbers in 1957-58.  Yesterday I completed this quest. 😃

LR7FUbx.jpg

Top left: S&W .44 Hand Ejector 1st Model.  AKA the New Century Model, The Military Model of 1908 but most commonly referred to a the Triple Lock due to its unique third cylinder locking point in the crane. This is the only S&W to ever use this system. Factory letter states the gun was shipped May 21, 1910 to Birmingham Arms & Hardware Co., Birmingham, Alabama.

Top right: .44 Hand Ejector 2nd Model: S&W eliminated the ejector rod shroud and the third cylinder locking point. Factory letter shows gun was shipped January 22, 1924 to Police Department, Joplin MO.

Middle left:  .44 Hand Ejector 3rd Model (prewar). Made in 1930. AKA Model of 1926 or the Wolf & Klar Model. At the request of large gun dealer Wolf & Klar in Ft. Worth, TX , the ejector rod shroud was brought back.  Note: the 2nd & 3rd Models were produced simultaneously up until 1940. 

Middle right: .44 Hand Ejector 3rd Model (post war Transitional) aka the Model of 1926 Military. This new version of the 3rd Model now featured a passive hammer block safety, Magna style stocks and the "S" prefix in the serial number. Factory letter states this gun was shipped July 22, 1946 to George Lawrence Co. Portland Oregon ordered for John H. Young, Portland Police Dept. 

Bottom: .44 Hand Ejector 4th Model aka Model of 1950 .44 Military. Made in 1955. Just an updated version of the previous model with a few engineering changes. Later to become the Model 21 in 1957 when model numbers were assigned and continued in production until `1966. 

Now on to my next quest! 😃

Edited by Grayfox54
  • Like 8
  • Love 1
  • Wow 1
  • Thanks 2

That's a fine collection of Smith&Wesson's. I got bit by the revolver scene here lately, I've purchased 6 Smith&Wesson's over the last 3months, I've got a Mod 29 44mag with a unfluted cylinder and 3"bbl, 6 1/2"bbl 45acp, 357mag Highway Patrol w/ 6"bbl, 1964 38spl w/ 4"bbl, a 36Mod Chief w/ 2 1/2"bbl, and a 1920 38S&W cal. It's an addiction for me. 

Edited by DJTC45

Here's the rest of my .44 Special family. 😃

NrKyogi.jpg

the 1st & 2nd models have already been covered. 

I also have all three barrel lengths  (3.5. 4 & 6.5") of the limited production Model 24-3 reintroduced in 1983. That was another quest completed. 👍

A  Model 696 No Dash made in 1997.   This is a L-frame 5 shooter. 44 Special.  One of the last of the old style S&Ws before they went to MIM parts.  The 696-1 and -2 had the new  MIM parts making the No Dash version very desirable and hard to find. 

And every .44 Special lover should have a Charter Arms Bulldog just because. 😉

• Like 3
  • 1 month later...