Smith & Wesson moving their HQ to Tennessee!

Grayfox54

4 hours ago, Whisper said:

They're moving HQ and their Massachusetts assembly plant here.  This is a major slap at Massachusetts for proposing to ban manufacture of ARs.  Also selling their Columbia, MO distribution site and relocating it to TN.

Happy day,

5 minutes ago, Sleep profit said:

I’m temped to apply I want the job at end of line firing the test round and putting casing in box bet that jobs taken 🤞

Great news for people in this area should draw a loyal labor force pro gun here  unlike Massachusetts 

Good news for the area!  I hope they follow through with it.  As has been mentioned Murville/Alcoa/TN has been screwed a couple of times in the past few years with similar announcements.

If I’m not mistaken, the site is technically in Alcoa, not Maryville.  Regardless, it’s mighty close to the end of the runway at McGhee-Tyson airport, like directly in line.  Hope a plane taking off doesn’t lose power.

13 hours ago, Garufa said:

Good news for the area!  I hope they follow through with it.  As has been mentioned Murville/Alcoa/TN has been screwed a couple of times in the past few years with similar announcements.

If I’m not mistaken, the site is technically in Alcoa, not Maryville.  Regardless, it’s mighty close to the end of the runway at McGhee-Tyson airport, like directly in line.  Hope a plane taking off doesn’t lose power.

Nope, it's just barely in the city because they want the business tax money.  All the surrounding property is in the county. The proposed location is off 321 a few miles west of Smoky Mtn Harley. It's in a business park that's been sparsely occupied for 20 years. 

Partnership Pkwy
https://maps.app.goo.gl/uZhYw1mqDhGnNd1S7

It was originally thought to be another Amazon location. 

And speaking of SCCY, they've started doing grading work on that and adjacent property in the past week. Haven't seen any info on what they're up to. 

Edited by peejman
  • Moderators
33 minutes ago, peejman said:

Nope, it's just barely in the city because they want the business tax money.  All the surrounding property is in the county. The proposed location is off 321 a few miles west of Smoky Mtn Harley. It's in a business park that's been sparsely occupied for 20 years. 

Partnership Pkwy

And speaking of SCCY, they've started doing grading work on that and adjacent property in the past week. Haven't seen any info on what they're up to. 

Sure it’s them? I’d think it’s someone else as Sccy announced that they’re were moving everything back to Daytona last year. 

At least one news station this morning reported S&W moving in "close" to where 1 of 2 Amazon facilities are coming in locally. One in Blount and the other in east Knoxville formerly known as Knoxville Center aka East Town for you OG's 🙂

Not saying they know jack just saying that's how they are stating it.  Also talking to locals in the area already raising hell about the uptick in traffic in the area. The way florida mamaw talked it was in a residential area with a quite 2 lane.

As I told someone else when we were discussing it last night. I'll believe it when I see it with my own 2 eyes. I personally think it's a bluff but we shall see.

1 hour ago, peejman said:

Partnership Pkwy

Partnership Park North on Louisville Rd is the site being reported for S&W.  Just south (or southwest depending on how you look at it) of the airport.  Same site that Advanced Munitions was supposed to locate.

https://blountindustry.com/smith-wesson-brands-inc-to-relocate-hq-operations-to-tennessee/

Edited by Garufa
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Chucktshoes said:

Sure it’s them? I’d think it’s someone else as Sccy announced that they’re were moving everything back to Daytona last year. 

I didn't mean to infer SCCY was having work done, just that someone is. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Garufa said:

Partnership Park North on Louisville Rd is the site being reported for S&W.  Just south (or southwest depending on how you look at it) of the airport.  Same site that Advanced Munitions was supposed to locate.

https://blountindustry.com/smith-wesson-brands-inc-to-relocate-hq-operations-to-tennessee/

So its going where the turf farm was. Go figure that there's 2 partnership parks around.   They'll need some major road work to deal with 750 employees. 

The first Amazon site is at the south end of pellissippi parkway and is well under way this point. They've got 4 stories of steel building going up. So the rumored 2nd Amazon site could be where I thought S&W was going, or could be where SCCY was going, or yet somewhere else.  

• Like 1

More details in this story from Guns America Digest: https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/breaking-smith-wesson-to-relocate-headquarters-to-tennessee/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20211001_FridayDigest_350&utm_campaign=/digest/breaking-smith-wesson-to-relocate-headquarters-to-tennessee/

Key Facts:

• The facility in Springfield, Massachusetts will be reconfigured but will remain operational.
  • Smith & Wesson will keep some of its manufacturing operations in Springfield, Massachusetts, including all forging, machining, metal finishing, and assembly of revolvers, and will continue to have over 1,000 employees in the state.
  • The new facility will be built in Maryville, Tennessee and will comprise of the company’s headquarters, plastic injection molding, pistol and long gun assembly, and distribution.
  • Total investment in the project is estimated at $120 million, will be funded from cash on hand, and is expected to be accretive to EPS by $0.10 to $0.12 per year once fully operational.
  • Construction in Maryville, Tennessee is expected to begin in the calendar fourth quarter of 2021 and be substantially complete by the summer of 2023.
  • Upwards of 750 jobs will move from Springfield, Massachusetts; Deep River, Connecticut; and Columbia, Missouri to Maryville, Tennessee.
  • The company’s plastic injection molding facility in Deep River, Connecticut, which services both Smith & Wesson as well as a significant number of external customers, will be sold. The Smith & Wesson portion of the operations will be moved to the new facility in Maryville, Tennessee, however, the external customer business will remain in Connecticut and will be divested.
  • The company’s distribution operations in Columbia, Missouri will be moved to the new facility in Maryville, Tennessee, and the Columbia, Missouri facility will be marketed for sublease.
  • The relocation will have no impact on the company’s operations in Houlton, Maine.
  • Like 1

BTW: The Memphis area is all a buzz as Ford has announced that they will build a 5.6 billion dollar electric vehicle plant about 40 miles east in Haywood county.  Many businesses are fed up with their long time liberal taxation homes and Tennessee is reaping the benefits. 😃

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/money/business/development/2021/09/27/ford-memphis-regional-megasite-electric-vehicles/5884728001/

42 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Yep that is just what Memphis needs an electric vehicle plant!!!

Granted that they probably won't sell many electric vehicles here. But they are quite popular and growing in the "Woke" States.  I believe that Ford and Tennessee will be more than happy to take their money. 😉

• Moderators
58 minutes ago, Dirtshooter said:

Yep that is just what Memphis needs an electric vehicle plant!!!

Good paying manufacturing jobs? Yeah, that’s exactly what Memphis and Tennessee as a whole need. 

It doesn’t matter if you like the idea of EVs, or hate Memphis. Quality manufacturing jobs in Tennessee are a great thing that we should all be happy about.

• Like 9
15 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Granted that they probably won't sell many electric vehicles here. But they are quite popular and growing in the "Woke" States.  I believe that Ford and Tennessee will be more than happy to take their money. 😉

In about 5 years, you won't have much choice with a new car. 

• Like 4
On 10/1/2021 at 11:43 PM, Grayfox54 said:

The plant will be located in Haywood County about 40 miles northeast of Memphis.

Will Memphis supply shuttle buses for the gang bangers to travel on in order to carjack the new vehicles? That's a looooong ways to travel for a carjacking! 

Good news overall for TN/ EAST TN, but traffic is already abysmal in Blount County. I moved from the Nashville area a few years ago and traffic, and housing supply/demand has progressively gotten worse each year. I guess the secret is out on the Knoxville area. Oh well. Hopefully they make appropriate infrastructure changes to the area to absorb the continued growth, unlike Nashville.

1 hour ago, steveo50 said:

Good news overall for TN/ EAST TN, but traffic is already abysmal in Blount County. I moved from the Nashville area a few years ago and traffic, and housing supply/demand has progressively gotten worse each year. I guess the secret is out on the Knoxville area. Oh well. Hopefully they make appropriate infrastructure changes to the area to absorb the continued growth, unlike Nashville.

Well they are trying, but you got the older hard headed get off my lawn types, that are fighting that every step of the way. ie.. the pellissippi extension. But I get the eminent domain thing that will effect some, but the ones I see on the news bitching about it are not the ones dealing with that.