Retired guys, help requested.

gregintenn

Congratulations! Retirement is great. Prior to retirement I had a lot of negative people who are programmed to be permanent worker bees asking what I would do with all of the free time. 

Throw away your clock . I travel, I have my guns, my wife and her one hundred miles per hour social circle, my side by side that I tinker on almost every day and I’m finally getting around to building a respectable work space for my all of my tools in my garage. 

Some days I stay in the garage for hours. Other days I drink beer or scotch and watch westerns and sports. I find it hard to believe working was ever important to me. I don’t miss it at all. 

Don’t let others dictate what you do with your time.  Enjoy!

• Like 7
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

So, Greg, what did you do today on your 1st day of retirement?

Mowed the yard, rode my bike, cooked supper, and just took it easy. So far, I can highly recommend it.

Grunt, I don’t know if you like fishing, but I have a boat and would be happy to swing by and pick you up one day.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Links2k said:

Congratulations! Retirement is great. Prior to retirement I had a lot of negative people who are programmed to be permanent worker bees asking what I would do with all of the free time. 

Throw away your clock . I travel, I have my guns, my wife and her one hundred miles per hour social circle, my side by side that I tinker on almost every day and I’m finally getting around to building a respectable work space for my all of my tools in my garage. 

Some days I stay in the garage for hours. Other days I drink beer or scotch and watch westerns and sports. I find it hard to believe working was ever important to me. I don’t miss it at all. 

Don’t let others dictate what you do with your time.  Enjoy!

My friend, I wish we were closer together. I’d be honored to hang out with you anytime.

• Like 2

really identified with my job, and I thought there would be a long adjustment period when I retired. Well, that adjustment period took as long as the walk from my desk to the gate. I've never looked back, never missed it, and never been bored. I should have retired at 25!

• Like 5
5 hours ago, gregintenn said:

Mowed the yard, rode my bike, cooked supper, and just took it easy. So far, I can highly recommend it.

Grunt, I don’t know if you like fishing, but I have a boat and would be happy to swing by and pick you up one day.

I would love to do that, but right now I couldn't handle it. My back is giving me fits, and my left shoulder is likely going to have surgery soon. Think it's rotator cuff. Had the same on the right shoulder 4 yrs ago. That put me out of business for several months.

Really appreciate the offer.  Maybe we can get together & shoot the breeze sometime. I hate being limited to what I can do. Pain in the butt.

• Sad 1
7 hours ago, gregintenn said:

My friend, I wish we were closer together. I’d be honored to hang out with you anytime.

4 hours ago, Links2k said:

Same here. 

Looks like you both have the time on your hands to meet up. 🤣

Congrats, Greg.  I'm pretty far away from retired, so the only advice I can give you is to enjoy yourself and whatever hobbies you put your time into.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
7 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

I would love to do that, but right now I couldn't handle it. My back is giving me fits, and my left shoulder is likely going to have surgery soon. Think it's rotator cuff. Had the same on the right shoulder 4 yrs ago. That put me out of business for several months.

Really appreciate the offer.  Maybe we can get together & shoot the breeze sometime. I hate being limited to what I can do. Pain in the butt.

That ain’t good. It was that danged ole 45-70 that done it to ya, wasn’t it?

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, Grunt67 said:

The left shoulder has been giving me fits all year. Just trying to hold out till mowing season is over. Some teeth being gritted along the way, LOL

Sorry to hear that. I have both sides torn, can't stand to raise my arms some days. Hope you get that fixed before it cn't be fixed.

• Like 1

Congrats Greg.... If I didnt have so much to do in being retired, I would seriously consider buying a good quality stock duplicating machine and just crank out semi inlet stocks of various kind. Nice manlicher type stocks can bring a premium even in semi inlets. Heck I bet your dad might even enjoy shaving some close tolerances on it!  The few that do stock copies are normally backed up at least 6 months just on orders. But I would just cut enough to fill a couple gun show tables and be done. Think about it. If you get too bored, its a fun hobby with $$$ benefits. A good machine would run you between $3500 and 4K to start.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, papa61 said:

Sorry to hear that. I have both sides torn, can't stand to raise my arms some days. Hope you get that fixed before it cn't be fixed.

As I said in an earlier post, I had the right one done 4 yrs ago. It was in bad shape. One tear had to be clipped & fastened back,  plus some arthritis,  and a bone spur.

3 mos. rehab. Takes about a year to get fully over it.

Bad news now is that there's no one here but me to help out. I'm very good at improvising , so maybe I'll  pull it off.

Always something.  Oh well. LOL

10 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

Congrats Greg.... If I didnt have so much to do in being retired, I would seriously consider buying a good quality stock duplicating machine and just crank out semi inlet stocks of various kind. Nice manlicher type stocks can bring a premium even in semi inlets. Heck I bet your dad might even enjoy shaving some close tolerances on it!  The few that do stock copies are normally backed up at least 6 months just on orders. But I would just cut enough to fill a couple gun show tables and be done. Think about it. If you get too bored, its a fun hobby with $$$ benefits. A good machine would run you between $3500 and 4K to start.

Not a bad idea. Finding a good, reliable supply of wood seems problematic. I thought I might back to making some belts and holsters this winter if I get bored.

1 hour ago, gregintenn said:

Not a bad idea. Finding a good, reliable supply of wood seems problematic. I thought I might back to making some belts and holsters this winter if I get bored.

There’s plenty of walnut out there, I think. It’s expensive.  

• Like 1

If you feel like you really need to do something, do like I did, buy a farm. You will work harder than you ever did getting a paycheck. ALWAYS something to do or mend or fix. After a few years you'll come to appreciate the word procrastination. It's really not a bad word. There's always something to do tomorrow and nothing to do today. 

• Like 1

I've been retired about nine years now. Had to retire because of heath. So not being able to do a lot just do what I can. It took some getting used to but you will find a hobby to interest you. The worst part I have found with not having anything to do is you never know when you are finished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
12 minutes ago, bigun said:

I've been retired about nine years now. Had to retire because of heath. So not being able to do a lot just do what I can. It took some getting used to but you will find a hobby to interest you. The worst part I have found with not having anything to do is you never know when you are finished.

I understand you. Medically retired in 2011. Really didn't like it, but I had no choice at the time. It was fun for a while. Then I began to get bored...with everything.

Various hobbies came and went. Spent a LOT of time on here. That was, and still is, good.

But as the years go by, those issues that led me here are starting to cause me more physical restrictions.

It sucks. But still here. God isn't thru with me yet. There must be something I'm meant to do.  

• Like 5

I’ve been retired six years. I go fishing and hunting in the middle of the week. No crowds. I do things with family on weekends when they are off from work. Other than that, every day is Saturday! Do what you want. I’ve just started taking wildlife photos. Sometimes while driving in the  WMA’s I’ve never been to, sometimes from my trusty favorite tree stand because you can see just about anything in the woods and the season is always open. Good luck and enjoy yourself.

• Like 5