I think I need a Glock29

Wingshooter

I’m thinking about getting a G29 to carry OWB around my farm and such. I have a G20 already. I really like it and like 10mm, but the size makes it cumbersome when I drive the tractor or other vehicles. It just generally gets in my way, lol. Sometimes I’ll carry a Jframe or G43 but find myself wanting the 10mm. 

I have not compared the 29 to the 20 in person. Is there a noticeable difference in the carry size scaling down to a 29? Is it concealable under a t shirt if I go into town?

Who has one and how do you like it?

• Like 1

I can certainly relate to your situation, Wingshooter.

I too, have a farm and I own a G 20 as I like the 10mm round as well.  The G 20 works just fine for riding my horse and most things, but it is cumbersome on the tractor and in my truck as well.  I don't have a G29 but when I look at the specs I am not sure if you would gain very much in the way of size reduction. While the G 29 is about 1.25" shorter, it is actually a tad bit wider (1.38" vs 1.34" for the G 20).  For me, the issue was the width.

What I did was to go with the Springfield Armory XDs in a .45 caliber.  While not quite the power of a 10mm, it is still no slouch and I was able to get the width down to slightly under one inch.  It made a noticeable difference and I really like the sidearm.  I have over 1,500 rounds through it and it is very reliable.

Good luck.

• Like 2

Yes there is a considerable size difference between the 20 and the 29.  I feel I can conceal the 29 if I want to but with the 20 that was nearly impossible.  Of course the 20 is a little more pleasant to shoot but I don't think the 29 is hard to handle or too small.  The 29 is one of my absolute favorite Glocks.  That and the 19 are the two Glocks I will not sell.  

I'd encourage you to grab one you will not be disappointed

• Like 2
11 hours ago, Choatecav said:

I can certainly relate to your situation, Wingshooter.

I too, have a farm and I own a G 20 as I like the 10mm round as well.  The G 20 works just fine for riding my horse and most things, but it is cumbersome on the tractor and in my truck as well.  I don't have a G29 but when I look at the specs I am not sure if you would gain very much in the way of size reduction. While the G 29 is about 1.25" shorter, it is actually a tad bit wider (1.38" vs 1.34" for the G 20).  For me, the issue was the width.

What I did was to go with the Springfield Armory XDs in a .45 caliber.  While not quite the power of a 10mm, it is still no slouch and I was able to get the width down to slightly under one inch.  It made a noticeable difference and I really like the sidearm.  I have over 1,500 rounds through it and it is very reliable.

Good luck.

Sounds like we have similar issues with the 20. I love it but I almost have to sit sidewise when I jump in the ranger, tractor or truck lol. When I get on the horse, I almost feel obligated to strap on the single action 45LC though. 

I will check out the XDs in 45. That a good suggestion. Thanks 👍 

8 hours ago, Lumber_Jack said:

Yes there is a considerable size difference between the 20 and the 29.  I feel I can conceal the 29 if I want to but with the 20 that was nearly impossible.  Of course the 20 is a little more pleasant to shoot but I don't think the 29 is hard to handle or too small.  The 29 is one of my absolute favorite Glocks.  That and the 19 are the two Glocks I will not sell.  

I'd encourage you to grab one you will not be disappointed

Good info about the 29. The 20 has too much grip length and barrel for me to sit normally in a vehicle or conceal it. I feel like I’m trying to hide a fire extinguisher under my shirt lol. In the woods or on the trail, I like the full size.

Good to hear that you rank the 29 up there with the 19 because I think very highly of the 19 as well. I read somewhere that the 29 carries like a heavier 19. Do you find that to be the case also? What holster do you carry it in?

I need to go put my hands one one. I just have to be prepared for it to follow me home if I do lol

• Like 1

So, I’m 5’6, 170 lbs ish. My clothes aren’t tight, but aren’t baggy either. I can conceal my G29 better than my G19. The shorter grip really makes it a breeze to carry. 

won’t lie, it has significantly more felt recoil than the 20 does, but that is par for the course. Shoot it a few times and you figure out how to handle it. Another option is a chest holster, which would hold either the 20 or 29. That puts the gun in a different place that may be more comfortable for your needs. Also still easily concealed under a jacket if needed. I will say, the 29 is a touch wider, it is tight in my G20 holsters. 

Edited by Thursty
  • Like 2

I carried a 29 for a long time. It's roughly the same size as the 30, IMO. I had no issues with concealment as a good belt & holster make all the difference.

Recoil can be a wee bit snappy with some ammo. Not uncomfortable or anything, just noticeably a bit more than .45acp, IMO. 

Unless you're just married to a Glock, I would look at other 10mm models as well. There's better options out there, IMO. 

On 10/8/2021 at 5:12 PM, bobsguns said:

Unless you're just married to a Glock, I would look at other 10mm models as well. There's better options out there, IMO. 

I’d stick to Glock. Since you already have a 20. Glock really is the best option out there for 10 mil. I’m a 1911 fan, but don’t care for the safety or the round count. I don’t personally care for the grip on an XD, and all the Sig options feel to big and heavy for what they are. Plus I like the low bore axis on the Glock, it really tames the 10mm recoil. 

• Like 1

There happens to be one listed in the classified section - and no it’s not mine. I have one and I love it. I don’t find that the recoil is unmanageable even with full house loads, and you just need the right belt and holster. I’m 5’8” and 170lbs. - it’s doable. 

Edited by emptyshell
On 10/5/2021 at 8:01 PM, Wingshooter said:

Good info about the 29. The 20 has too much grip length and barrel for me to sit normally in a vehicle or conceal it. I feel like I’m trying to hide a fire extinguisher under my shirt lol. In the woods or on the trail, I like the full size.

Good to hear that you rank the 29 up there with the 19 because I think very highly of the 19 as well. I read somewhere that the 29 carries like a heavier 19. Do you find that to be the case also? What holster do you carry it in?

I need to go put my hands one one. I just have to be prepared for it to follow me home if I do lol

Yeah, i'd say its easier to conceal than the 19 due to reduced size.  I don't really notice the weight.  I have both a leather OWB and a kydex OWB that I carry it in.  Now full disclosure I work outside and concealment isn't a huge concern on most days. But I think with proper clothing the OWB kydex is a great edc option with reasonable concealment. 

• Like 1

10mm hard cast from underwood will impressively penetrate greater than 64" in 10% ballistics gel, over 5 feet! Should be a viable choice for protection from wildlife anywhere in North America.

As an interesting aside, 9mm hard cast also exceeds 64" penetration  (plus the benefits of follow up shot split times and capacity)