Stolen gun turned up. Some random thoughts...

tnguy

So I was recently contacted about a gun that was stolen from me nearly a decade ago. Apparently it turned up in New York. Local PD contacted me and after a bit of back and forth, they told me that it had been found in someone's basement with a lot of other guns and none of them were operational and some were unsafe and did I want to get mine back or not bother? It was a cheap, small caliber gun so I said not to bother (more trouble than it's worth. I have enough on my todo list). Since then, it occurs to me that this is New York and it's possible they're just saying stuff to have to avoid the effort or possibly for other reasons. I'm sure if I asked for it back, it would be in poor condition one way or another anyway so I'm not sweating it but just thought it was worth floating out here.

Interesting on the effort question.聽 I too have had some experience in recovering stolen guns.

Some 25+ years ago, I had some guns stolen from my gun business, a few cheap FMJ double pistols and a few Russian SKSs, and at that time, SKSs were not expensive <$100.聽 Anyway, about 5 years later, the police agency that made the report contacted me about being informed that one of the guns was recovered in a border county in North Carolina.聽 I called the NC agency, they said I could pick it up anytime.聽 I was not in a big hurry to drive over there, and actually forgot about the gun for about 6 mos to a year, then remembered and decided what the heck, I will go get it, called to confirm that I was coming over.聽 The same NC police dept. argued with me they did not have the gun, got real hateful with me on the phone, denied they ever had it, wanted to know what other agency had reported it recovered.聽 I even talked to same person who confirmed that they had it a year earlier.聽 I dropped it, and never pursued it.聽 I was younger and had a no care attitude.聽聽

I tell this story because I had another agency in East Tennessee to recover another gun several years later, and they confirmed it was one of the cheaper guns I had stolen, but they too were not too friendly with me on the phone, having a jerk attitude, and telling me the difficult process to get the gun.聽 Since the gun had no real value to me, <$40, I dropped it too.

I wonder if this systematic of other agencies on gun recovery? Now if my Russian SKSs are ever recovered I will probably be very tolerant of the process and more apt to recover them.

• Like 2

Nearly 20 years ago I had a gun stolen.聽 Filed the report, all of that good stuff.聽 I had just bought the gun a couple of months earlier.聽 (Side note, I bought it from an acquaintance who was a dealer.聽 Turned out he was sloppy with paperwork and had not entered the gun on his logs.聽 I recall that the ATF was not amused, but don't recall what happened to him over the incident.)聽 About 3 years later in contacted but the jurisdiction where I reported the gun stolen. They told me that I could come get it anytime.聽 I was pretty excited to get it back and went down there a day or two later as I live about an hour away at that point.聽 I picked it up and it was absolutely filthy.聽 Detective said it was recovered in Nashville a year earlier and had been held as evidence for the trial.聽 I still have it, don't have much use for it, haven't shot it in years, I guess I hold on to it because there is an interesting story attached.聽聽

I had 17 guns taken from my home while we were dealing with my son after his accident and we were not going home because he was in a coma and a lot of people knew we were staying at the hospital. That was back in 86-87. None of them have turned up and I have given up getting any back. If I die they will call my youngest Son because his name is also on police report for Contact information. One of the guns was his anyway.

Depending on how much trouble it would be, I'd want it back just to be a PITA to New York.聽馃槅

My FIL was the head of security for a local grocery store chain. On day many years ago a real pro decided to rob his store. The guy had done his homework and knew who my FIL was. He came in, got a cart and proceeded to act like a regular customer. Came up behind my FIL and without any warning knocked him out cold!聽馃樀聽He took a 2" Model 10 from my FIL,聽 went up front and robbed the store.聽馃が

Some 20 years later, FIL got a call from the Sheriff's Dept saying his gun had been recovered. He got it back and it was in surprisingly good shape.聽馃憤

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
2 hours ago, Grayfox54 said:

Depending on how much trouble it would be, I'd want it back just to be a PITA to New York.聽馃槅

That may have crossed my mind 馃檪聽I'm of half a mind to call up and see if I can change my decision but, meh...聽The msrp of the gun is 250. I do still have some ammo for it and no other guns in the same calibre.

Edited by tnguy
  • Like 1
  • Admin Team

If it was my gun, I don鈥檛 know that many of the details would matter much.

I鈥檇 want to be the one in control of its final disposition.

Its already had a history - I wouldn鈥檛 want it ending up on someone鈥檚 ankle or in the door of someone鈥檚 truck as a drop gun.聽

On 10/7/2021 at 11:59 AM, runco said:

I wonder if this systematic of other agencies on gun recovery? Now if my Russian SKSs are ever recovered I will probably be very tolerant of the process and more apt to recover them.

I can only speak for my agency. Once any criminal charges are done with on the thief or person in possession of it it only takes a simple run of the record to ensure you aren't prohibited from possessing it and then sign here bye.

• Like 1
On 10/11/2021 at 4:37 PM, Handsome Rob said:

Makes me wonder.....

If you showed up in person to collect it, would you then be immediately arrested for being in possession of an unregistered (by NY law) handgun?聽

He would probably be arrested for not having a handgun license. In N.Y. you can't even touch a handgun in a gun store without having a license.聽

Which brings me to another point. FOPA would protect him from being arrested while in possession of a firearm during interstate travel if the firearm was legal at the start and end of his travel. He wouldn't even be legal at the start of his return trip. NJ would probably lock him up if they found it.聽

When I had a GS in NY a buddy of mine told me about a retired NJ State Police Lt. that retired to Newburg NY with a gun parts business. He said he saw his shop & talked to the guy. Apparently, this Lt was in charge of all stolen firearm recoveries in NJ and was tasked with destroying them as per BATF regs. So he destroyed the gun's SN frames and "discarded" the remainder into his personal trash can. Needless to say, he had everything from Luger parts to God knows what all for sale out of his NY shop.聽 Giving guns back to owners dosent have to be a catering service especially in those places that dont believe in the 2nd as a rule. Besides how do you think these guys get parts?

Gun parts kits. Home of EveryGunPart.com

10 hours ago, xtriggerman said:

When I had a GS in NY a buddy of mine told me about a retired NJ State Police Lt. that retired to Newburg NY with a gun parts business. He said he saw his shop & talked to the guy. Apparently, this Lt was in charge of all stolen firearm recoveries in NJ and was tasked with destroying them as per BATF regs. So he destroyed the gun's SN frames and "discarded" the remainder into his personal trash can. Needless to say, he had everything from Luger parts to God knows what all for sale out of his NY shop.聽 Giving guns back to owners dosent have to be a catering service especially in those places that dont believe in the 2nd as a rule. Besides how do you think these guys get parts?

Gun parts kits. Home of EveryGunPart.com

some of this took place at Metro Nashville Police some years ago. Not sure if it was stopped our not. I saw many ziplocks with everything except the frame.

22 hours ago, seez52 said:

some of this took place at Metro Nashville Police some years ago. Not sure if it was stopped our not. I saw many ziplocks with everything except the frame.

Oh, it gets better than that!

A Major on Metro PD had his own "counter" in Gun Mart, on Charlette Ave. All the guns were determined to have come from either the property room or had been confiscated. ATF was ALL over that like stink on crap. Final result? No charges filed, Gun Mart revoked his selling privileges. I don't recall what Metro PD did to him, if anything. But he was basically selling stolen guns & using his badge as cover.聽

This was in the early to mid-1990s, IIRC?