Where may I shoot on unincorporated/open/private land near Davidson?

Hello, 

New to TN and do not yet have any friends with private land/ranges to shoot at. Spoke with some people who said I just need to be outside of "city limits," but, honestly, not sure what that means and wanted to see if anyone here knew of areas near Davidson (+/- 1 hour) where I can shoot outside (handguns & rifles)? 

Thanks in advance! 

• 1 month later...

If you can travel up to an hour I would look into either the Charlie Hafner memorial range or strategic edge range.  Both are membership only ranges.  There isn't BLM land out here that is open for any use like other states so finding space is a bit tricky.  I would have to read up on the TVA "unimproved" land but that may be an option but definitely not common practice.

AFAIK, unimproved TVA land is good to go for hunting, but not general shooting/practice.

For the OP, your +/- 1 hour outdoor options are going to be vary depending on which part of Nashville you're in.

• Cheatham WMA
  • Montgomery County Shooting Complex (temporarily closed for lead reclamation)
  • Stones River
  • Strategic Edge
  • Charlie Hafner (sometimes still called Owl Hollow)
  • MTSA (formerly Gallatin Gun Club before relocating) https://www.midtnsportingassociation.com/
  • Terry Walden Gun Range in Manchester
  • OK Corral in Woodbury

There are no public outdoor rifle/handgun ranges inside the county except Stones River.

Nashville Gun Club (Briley Pky @ County Hospital Rd) is in the county, but that's shotguns and clay targets only. No rifle or handgun.

Private land can be used for shooting in the "General Services" portion of the county. As a general rule if the city picks up the trash, it's in the "Urban Services" part of the county and no shooting allowed. The rest is "General Services". Here's the service district map: https://data.nashville.gov/General-Government/Service-Districts-GIS-/xxxs-vvs4

Edited by monkeylizard
2 hours ago, monkeylizard said:

• Cheatham WMA
  • Montgomery County Shooting Complex (temporarily closed for lead reclamation)
  • Stones River
  • Strategic Edge
  • Charlie Hafner (sometimes still called Owl Hollow)
  • MTSA (formerly Gallatin Gun Club before relocating) https://www.midtnsportingassociation.com/

There are no public outdoor ranges inside the county except Nashville Gun Club (Briley Pky @ County Hospital Rd) and that's shotguns and clay targets only. No rifle or handgun.

In addition to what has been listed;

Terry Walden Gun Range is in Manchester if you are on the southeast side of Nashville.
Ok Corral in Woodbury https://okcshootingrange.com/ (again if you are on the southeast side.) 

I can't personally recommend either but plenty of folks like them well enough.
I can recommend Strategic Edge which has already been mentioned if you don't mind the wait list. My wait was not that long, less than a year.  

There are also indoor ranges with some longer distances available. I know Royal Range on the west side of town has some longer bays and the new Outpost Armory Murfreesboro Range has 100 yard indoor allowing up to 50 BMG. 

It is a serious haul from Nashville but many of my coworkers are now going down to Dead Zero on the mountain in Spencer Tn. https://deadzeroshooting.com/
Supposed to be extremely nice and I would be going there on the regular if I was close enough. 

Edited by OldIronFan
  • Moderators

Welcome to Tennessee. The folks here have listed a lot of good options for private/public ranges to join. Im not sure where you moved from, but if it was from out west, I’ve got some bad news for you. “Public land” like out there does not exist in TN. We have state/national parks/forests which allow hunting and some public range facilities but open land which you can just shoot on like BLM land just isn’t a thing. If you want the ability to do dynamic shooting you will have to either own sufficient land to build your own range or join a private range which has action shooting bays. No other options exist. 

2 hours ago, OldIronFan said:

In addition to what has been listed;

Terry Walden Gun Range is in Manchester if you are on the southeast side of Nashville.
Ok Corral in Woodbury https://okcshootingrange.com/ (again if you are on the southeast side.)

Thanks. I added those to my list in case anyone in the future comes across this thread. One stop shopping!  🙂

• Like 1